Need a Spring Game Report

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think the potential is there. He left a lot on the table. LJ as a passer is superior to any in the Johnson era as a runner he’ll no. That said he is surprisingly sudden, fast, & elusive. Personally I think there’s way too much potential to ignore.
TO is a good runner and he made a couple of nice throws but overall he got shut down. Again as he matures things may improve for him.

The game ball goes to the Defense. They made a point to have a party in the backfield. Players that stood out to me were Quez & Henderson. They played angry.

Hard to judge LJ today with his injury issue. But he hasn’t shown anything of substance, especially consistency, to say he’s our best passer under CPJ. Doesn’t mean he can’t become that but.....no.

GTFLETCH

Banned
So tonight 1st team Blue Offense played with 2 ND team Defense... while 1st team Defense played with 2nd team offense.

After watching the spring game I would say LJ is the backup to TM. Why? Not because LJ played so well, but because CPJ did not allow Tobias any reps with the 1st team. I would have loved to see what TO could do with the first team Offense.

So as far as the backup QB job goes... I think from what I saw is it is a toss up..neither stepped up and took the job outright...

I am super excited about our Defense...wow..both 1st team and 2nd team played fast... also our BB, and AB... groups and depth look solid.

I am worried about our O-line play and also the WR play..boy, both positions groups left me a lil worried and it appears after the starters there is a huge drop off!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Hard to judge LJ today with his injury issue. But he hasn’t shown anything of substance, especially consistency, to say he’s our best passer under CPJ. Doesn’t mean he can’t become that but.....no.

I don’t think it’s even particularly close, with his injury, & with this performance. It’s easy to see. I’ll give Vad on the deep ball and that’s it.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
So tonight 1st team Blue Offense played with 2 ND team Defense... while 1st team Defense played with 2nd team offense.

After watching the spring game I would say LJ is the backup to TM. Why? Not because LJ played so well, but because CPJ did not allow Tobias any reps with the 1st team. I would have loved to see what TO could do with the first team Offense.

So as far as the backup QB job goes... I think from what I saw is it is a toss up..neither stepped up and took the job outright...

I am super excited about our Defense...wow..both 1st team and 2nd team played fast... also our BB, and AB... groups and depth look solid.

I am worried about our O-line play and also the WR play..boy, both positions groups left me a lil worried and it appears after the starters there is a huge drop off!

Just remember most of our starting OL didn't play. Not saying to not be worried, but it is not as bad as it seems.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
He looks better than JT in 2014? that's pretty high praise

Oh no, I forgot Thomas played 10 games as a RS-F, was thinking the year he and Vad split was his R-Soph year. I was thinking more about comparing Tech QB's before they started 1st game. Of all of them I think Lucas looks the best. Thomas was great QB.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
A few notes from tonight.

OL wasn’t that great however it was makeshift because 4 starters were out.

QB play wasn’t that great either, but I’m sure a good bit of that goes to the makeshift OL and not being able to get tackled. Some missed plays I still wish would have been made though.

Brad Stewart had a good game.

A back position should be good this year.

Defense definitely plays faster and seem to not be thinking (read and react). everyone looked like they were flowing to the ball because of that, literally seemed like 8 or 9 guys were around the ball on most tackles.

LB position looks to be the biggest strength of the D.

Brant looked really good, he was able to play downhill instead of sideline to sideline which fits him imo.

DE position looked pretty good

Dawson looks about 270 and not the 242 GT website has him listed at, he had some pretty good plays as well.

Safeties are going to get the chance to be ball hawks in this scheme.

Coverage looked way tighter unless it was a blow coverage.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't u think the o l compliments are over the top? Sewak will get the big head.
Seriously thanks for heads up on the impressions.
Jerry Howard can't run hard w o some blocking.

OL, I did notice one of the Morgan bros looked pretty good, also he's a lot bigger, bigger then C Braun, W Bryan.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Did Jordan Mason from Gallatin, TN get any reps? Thanks in advance

Yes, played a lot at B-Back, scored nice power drive TD, slid off guard. Punt returned some but it was not live return, just catch the ball. He caught one at the 5 yard line when he should have let it bounce in the end-zone, he knew what he did right away was wrong, I just think because it was not live, he was just thinking about catching the ball.
Real nice player.

Also he played behind second team OL, but it was really 1/2 2nd team / 1/2 3rd team because some starters were held out. He still played hard and made some plays

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...rgia-tech-spring-game/p7T7MDEpjG605NFkadXXJM/

After a slow start, Johnson drove the Blue-team offense on touchdown drives of 70, 74 and 55 yards, along with a field-goal drive of 54 yards.

You know i wondered about that. Blue's defense was a bit more vanilla than the white defense. Look slike Joe Speed is a tenuta blitzer ( it also lead to a few coverage issues where he blitz the corner and the safety couldn't get their in time to keep stewart from getting a deep reception. But he was probably banking on more option being called)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Cooper injury is going to hurt. Our offense turns into a dumpster fire without very solid o line play.

Is going to hurt or did hurt? Coach said he will be back end of july. In time for fall. If that is true, assuming so which is reasonable; it shouldnt hurt us much.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
He’s not challenging Marshall, but the potential to take the O another level is there. He needs reps.
Completely agree. Definitely could become the best passer in Johnson era by far. While he’s not the fastest or quickest, he is plenty fast enough, runs hard and decisively, and he’s big. He also looks very comfortable in the option game.