ND @ Rusty C

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well that was a great game. Today's rubber match is essential if we are going to be top 25 this week. Play like we did yesterday with the offense and we'll be fine. Our RPI dropped from 29 to 30 with the win yesterday; other teams we have played performance must have caused the change. Point is we need to win to get into top 25.

One area of NDs game that has impressed me is their discipline at the plate. While they have a low BA, they get their pitches like we do and run up the count. That discipline really helped win the first game; X gave up a 7 and 8 pitch walk to lead off the game. Friday they averaged 4.54 pitches per AB and yesterday they averaged only 3.45 pitches per AB. A lot of that on Saturday was CT; 10 K in 27 BF.

We are really solid in a lot of areas: hitting & pitch discipline, fielding overall, starting pitching. Two areas that need improving (duh). Relief pitching and 3rd base. Relief pitching at least we are seeing a lot of pitchers the last two days. And here's my Good Enough and the Not Good:
Good Enough:
  • Gibson - 3 SO on 17 pitches in 1.0 IP; Best outing in a while. Keeping his appearance short has to help.
  • Carpenter - 1.0 IP, 3 batters retired on 11 pitches. The hit was a single. An.Nd he got a GDP. Hope we see more of him.
  • Brace - 1.0 IP, 5 batters. One BB and 2 singles. 17 pitches and the GDP bailed him out. But he's still at 0.00 ERA on the year. We should see more of him!
  • Hughes - 1.0 IP, 5 batters with 2 BB. 26 pitches in one inning isn't sustainable. Got a K, GO, FO;
Not Good:
  • Lee - 4 BF, no outs 3 hits and a walk. Pulled two batters to late in a close game. I love Jake and wish we had seen a lot more of him this year since he is usually more reliable. But when his isn't, pull him.
  • Bartnicki - 6 BF, 3 outs, a walk, two hits and 2 ER. Pulled way too late, but Hall has given Bartnicki lots of extra chances which have usually backfired this year. May make some sense since we are going to have to have Bartnicki be reliable pitcher next year, but killing us this year. He needs to go to the Cape to learn how to pitch.
  • Shirah - 1.0 IP, 6 BF with a BB and 2 singles. 20 pitches and 1 ER.
  • Roedig - 1.0 IP, 5 BF with 2 doubles and a walk. A GDP prevented him from giving up more than 1 ER.
3rd base:
  • Serratos is hitting better up to .267.
  • Fielding is now .836 with 10 PO in 41 A (assists?). With 10 errors he leads the team, albeit in a demanding position. Anyone know where fielding stats are kept for all D1 individuals? (Not in NCAA or D1 that I could find.) I checked ND 3rd baseman and his FLD% is .913. And VTs (Madden) is .885. And Clemson's (Byrd) is .912.
  • GT is 43rd in the NCAA with a team FLD% of .976; so overall we are a pretty good fielding team.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My Saturday's are busy with stuff (the good kind) that really keep me detached from the baseball. It was good to see the runs early yesterday when I checked. Need some no doubt kind of wins like that. Repeating others, but gotta win today. Cannot lose a series to really anyone on our home ACC schedule... but definitely not this team.

Deleted member 2897

Well that was a great game. Today's rubber match is essential if we are going to be top 25 this week. Play like we did yesterday with the offense and we'll be fine. Our RPI dropped from 29 to 30 with the win yesterday; other teams we have played performance must have caused the change. Point is we need to win to get into top 25.

One area of NDs game that has impressed me is their discipline at the plate. While they have a low BA, they get their pitches like we do and run up the count. That discipline really helped win the first game; X gave up a 7 and 8 pitch walk to lead off the game. Friday they averaged 4.54 pitches per AB and yesterday they averaged only 3.45 pitches per AB. A lot of that on Saturday was CT; 10 K in 27 BF.

We are really solid in a lot of areas: hitting & pitch discipline, fielding overall, starting pitching. Two areas that need improving (duh). Relief pitching and 3rd base. Relief pitching at least we are seeing a lot of pitchers the last two days. And here's my Good Enough and the Not Good:
Good Enough:
  • Gibson - 3 SO on 17 pitches in 1.0 IP; Best outing in a while. Keeping his appearance short has to help.
  • Carpenter - 1.0 IP, 3 batters retired on 11 pitches. The hit was a single. An.Nd he got a GDP. Hope we see more of him.
  • Brace - 1.0 IP, 5 batters. One BB and 2 singles. 17 pitches and the GDP bailed him out. But he's still at 0.00 ERA on the year. We should see more of him!
  • Hughes - 1.0 IP, 5 batters with 2 BB. 26 pitches in one inning isn't sustainable. Got a K, GO, FO;
Not Good:
  • Lee - 4 BF, no outs 3 hits and a walk. Pulled two batters to late in a close game. I love Jake and wish we had seen a lot more of him this year since he is usually more reliable. But when his isn't, pull him.
  • Bartnicki - 6 BF, 3 outs, a walk, two hits and 2 ER. Pulled way too late, but Hall has given Bartnicki lots of extra chances which have usually backfired this year. May make some sense since we are going to have to have Bartnicki be reliable pitcher next year, but killing us this year. He needs to go to the Cape to learn how to pitch.
  • Shirah - 1.0 IP, 6 BF with a BB and 2 singles. 20 pitches and 1 ER.
  • Roedig - 1.0 IP, 5 BF with 2 doubles and a walk. A GDP prevented him from giving up more than 1 ER.
3rd base:
  • Serratos is hitting better up to .267.
  • Fielding is now .836 with 10 PO in 41 A (assists?). With 10 errors he leads the team, albeit in a demanding position. Anyone know where fielding stats are kept for all D1 individuals? (Not in NCAA or D1 that I could find.) I checked ND 3rd baseman and his FLD% is .913. And VTs (Madden) is .885. And Clemson's (Byrd) is .912.
  • GT is 43rd in the NCAA with a team FLD% of .976; so overall we are a pretty good fielding team.

Can’t a pitcher feel if they have their stuff when they’re warming up? I’ve always wondered if a guy for sure knew his stuff was off, would he tell coach to go with someone else or does that never happen? I’m assuming it never happens, but it makes me wonder, because I’m sure folks know during warmups generally how things are feeling.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Can’t a pitcher feel if they have their stuff when they’re warming up? I’ve always wondered if a guy for sure knew his stuff was off, would he tell coach to go with someone else or does that never happen? I’m assuming it never happens, but it makes me wonder, because I’m sure folks know during warmups generally how things are feeling.

I've actually heard a lot of pitchers that have said that they threw great in the bullpen before the game, but stunk it up, while others said they weren't feeling it in warmups but had the outing of their life. And a lot of those are post game interviews with guys in the majors, who should know more about how they're feeling than college pitchers. So I'd say, sometimes you just don't know how it's going to go until you get out there.

Deleted member 2897

I've actually heard a lot of pitchers that have said that they threw great in the bullpen before the game, but stunk it up, while others said they weren't feeling it in warmups but had the outing of their life. And a lot of those are post game interviews with guys in the majors, who should know more about how they're feeling than college pitchers. So I'd say, sometimes you just don't know how it's going to go until you get out there.

Thanks for that feedback. Kind of like golf on the range before teeing off!

Deleted member 2897

Hurter with the no-no through 4. Need some more runs, but 5-1 is a good start going into B4.

Deleted member 2897

Damn - Hurters on base allowed % is 0.100 right now, yet we’re barely winning LOL.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
“Son, what kind of a pitch would you like to miss?” — Dizzy Dean

“The doctor x-rayed my head and found nothing.” — Dizzy Dean

“Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don’t move.” — Satchel Paige

Can't go wrong quoting Dizzy and Satchel. "If you can do it, it ain't bragging" - Dizzy Dean
"Don't look back...someone might be gaining on you" Satchel Paige