ND @ Rusty C

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, what a difference a week makes. I'll start the thread since it worked last with our first ACC road series win in years and first ever win @ L'Ville in the ACC.

Last night's dwag dismemberment was splendid.

RPI of 26 this morning after winning 3 of 4 from top 10 teams and we are getting the recognition. After L'Ville, D1 Baseball called us a "dormant volcano". This morning, we are D1 team of the day "The Jackets were on the cusp of our Top 25 rankings coming into the week, and a successful weekend would bode well for their chances next Monday."

So, a successful weekend? I expect we'll win two from ND and hope for a sweep. Based on matchups, Warren Nolan expects us to win 7-0, 5-2 and 6-3. ND has a 68 RPI and are 10-12. They have a relatively high RPI for a losing record since they have only played 4 at home; are 5-6 on road and 3-4 neutral site.

But don't be overconfident; ND took 2 @WF and took 2 @ Clemson before losing 2 to FSU @ND. So ND is 5-4 ACC like us. And those games are more recent than their early season problems.

Sweeps are hard for us, but not impossible. In 2018 out of 10 ACC series, we swept Miami. In 2017, we swept Pitt but got swept @ND (last time we played). In 2016 we swept Pitt. Of course we were swept a lot more times the last three years but I'm trying to stay positive. This year we have more experience and talent overall plus solid starting pitching.

The future is now. Need to follow-up now that the spotlight is on us.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, what a difference a week makes. I'll start the thread since it worked last with our first ACC road series win in years and first ever win @ L'Ville in the ACC.

Last night's dwag dismemberment was splendid.

RPI of 26 this morning after winning 3 of 4 from top 10 teams and we are getting the recognition. After L'Ville, D1 Baseball called us a "dormant volcano". This morning, we are D1 team of the day "The Jackets were on the cusp of our Top 25 rankings coming into the week, and a successful weekend would bode well for their chances next Monday."

So, a successful weekend? I expect we'll win two from ND and hope for a sweep. Based on matchups, Warren Nolan expects us to win 7-0, 5-2 and 6-3. ND has a 68 RPI and are 10-12. They have a relatively high RPI for a losing record since they have only played 4 at home; are 5-6 on road and 3-4 neutral site.

But don't be overconfident; ND took 2 @WF and took 2 @ Clemson before losing 2 to FSU @ND. So ND is 5-4 ACC like us. And those games are more recent than their early season problems.

Sweeps are hard for us, but not impossible. In 2018 out of 10 ACC series, we swept Miami. In 2017, we swept Pitt but got swept @ND (last time we played). In 2016 we swept Pitt. Of course we were swept a lot more times the last three years but I'm trying to stay positive. This year we have more experience and talent overall plus solid starting pitching.

The future is now. Need to follow-up now that the spotlight is on us.
Lots to be exciting about heading into ND. This part of schedule looked/was real tough... to be 3-1 (& feeling pretty confident)over these last 4... that is a nice little surprise.

As for ND... I want to be able to say ND is a cold weather school (ie. can't really do baseball); but they actually looked to be better than a 10-12 record would indicate. 3 losses to ASU (top 10) to open season. They've made most of their ACC games. A few extra inning wins... & to repeat @GTNavyNuke ...are 5-4 over CLEM, FSU, WF. That indicates a good team. Perhaps that alone will help, as Tech should not take them lightly.

If we don't remain above .500 in conference play the rest of the way... that'll be a significant step backwards. That means we should definitely win 2. We're due for a sweep & hopefully whoever the leaders are on this team... they are clear in making that the only acceptable outcome. First things first...win Friday!

Deleted member 2897

Yup, home series against a 10-12 team. We must win the series no exceptions. Doing so is easiest if we win Friday.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Good news is Amos pitched 90% of the game last night. Jake Lee got 2 quick outs late in the game but that was it. We should have virtually everyone on staff ready to go for this weekend.

Hopefully we dont need them, but this makes me feel even better about our chances for a sweep.

Things dont get any easier next week though. At Auburn (20-5) on Tuesday then hosting UNC (19-7) for a 3 game series.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Good news is Amos pitched 90% of the game last night. Jake Lee got 2 quick outs late in the game but that was it. We should have virtually everyone on staff ready to go for this weekend.

Hopefully we dont need them, but this makes me feel even better about our chances for a sweep.

Things dont get any easier next week though. At Auburn (20-5) on Tuesday then hosting UNC (19-7) for a 3 game series.

UNC has barely won a ton of games against weak opponents. They are the opposite of us. We should win both series. Honestly we should sweep ND, but it’s hard to expect that in baseball.

Auburn game we are playing with house money. We went toe to toe against UCLA, Louisville, Georgia - if we lose it’s the expected result. Auburn is the one who has everything to lose. Play loose and go get em.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Am I the only one here who thinks ND is better than her record?

LOL. Of course I think ND is currently better than the 10-12 record. The 5-4 ACC shows that given that level of competition was higher than early season.

ND non-conference RPI is 158!! and the overall is 67. Overall SoS is 20 and non-conference SoS is 91. If ND plays like they have non-conference, we win 3. If they play like they have in the ACC we win 2 most likely.

They may not have played but that doesn't mean they are ready. Most didn't pitch over the weekend so the argument could be they are rusty.

Last edited:
What's going on with Austin Wilhite's batting? He was one of our best hitters for average last year, and now he's second from the bottom at .253 for BA of our current starting 8 ahead of only Tristin who's at .242.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
https://ramblinwreck.com/jackets-look-to-remain-hot-vs-notre-dame/

We should beat ND 3 times. Statistically, we're better in nearly every category. They steal more bases. Our starting pitching (barring some "off" day... which could happen) should limit their scoring significantly.

20190328_173015.jpg

Deleted member 2897

jpilgrim6

Georgia Tech Fan
If anyone wants a ticket to any games this series just let me know. In-laws are in town so I can't go to any this weekend.

It's a season ticket so any other tickets you buy are only $2