NCAA Tourney

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Kid for Miami (Michelangeli) has a thing for hitting HR's in huge games. Did it v NCST in ACC tournament & today v BC. In both of those occasions, he also has demonstrated a propensity to make it all about him & show up his opponents. Wish my remote control had a taser function that would allow me to zap knuckleheads in the act. I promise I would use it responsibly.

I hold Coach Morris in very high regard having watched him a lot while he was coaching our beloved Jackets when I was in school. But that stink gets on him too. I hate it.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I also would like to use my taser on that guy, but BC and our guys also had words after they beat us in our Atlanta series. BC was mouthing off and it really fired pu our guys to get them in the ACC play-in. I think the taser would also be fitting for them.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I also would like to use my taser on that guy, but BC and our guys also had words after they beat us in our Atlanta series. BC was mouthing off and it really fired up our guys to get them in the ACC play-in. I think the taser would also be fitting for them.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Kid for Miami (Michelangeli) has a thing for hitting HR's in huge games. Did it v NCST in ACC tournament & today v BC. In both of those occasions, he also has demonstrated a propensity to make it all about him & show up his opponents. Wish my remote control had a taser function that would allow me to zap knuckleheads in the act. I promise I would use it responsibly.

I hold Coach Morris in very high regard having watched him a lot while he was coaching our beloved Jackets when I was in school. But that stink gets on him too. I hate it.

I have some friends that were right there when that was going on. BC player(s) were telling him FU when he was rounding home. Both were wrong and there is NO love lost between both teams.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
ACC brought 4 teams to super regionals. SEC with 5. There are 6 non-ACC/SEC on to the CWS. I think that's a surprise.

Miami is in. FSU can be with win tonight.

If FSU wins tonight, the SEC will be absent in OMAHA. We shall see.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, FSU couldn't seal the deal last night. I watched a couple innings; the Florida crowd had a few loud obnoxious and generally disgusting fans you could hear. FSU had their chances early on but Florida pitching is obviously amazing.

I ended up with 4 of the CWS teams. Florida, Coastal, OK State and Miami. I'm #79 @ D1 ....... woo hoo. Going on to final 4 I had (L'ville (not there), Texas A&M (not there), Florida and Miami.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, FSU couldn't seal the deal last night. I watched a couple innings; the Florida crowd had a few loud obnoxious and generally disgusting fans you could hear. FSU had their chances early on but Florida pitching is obviously amazing.

I ended up with 4 of the CWS teams. Florida, Coastal, OK State and Miami. I'm #79 @ D1 ....... woo hoo. Going on to final 4 I had (L'ville (not there), Texas A&M (not there), Florida and Miami.
Well... you cooked me @GTNavyNuke. Congrats on making the "leaderboard" too! I managed to hit on only 3 of the CWS field (TCU, Miami, and OK State). My ACC bias/homer-ness caused me to make some emotional picks that failed me. Exhibit A: My final 2 teams (LOU and UVA) are obviously out.

Tech's record against the CWS field was 4-3. Obviously, the sweep of Coastal is most of that. We went 1-3 v Miami and UF.

Probably already mentioned somewhere; but I was looking back at our ACC schedule and could not help but notice this. We played 10 ACC series. We were 6-2 against the 3 teams we played that do not make the tournament (VT, UNC, Pitt). We were a pretty weak 7-14 against those teams that made the tourney (FSU, Duke, NCST, Clem, MIA, UVA, BC). Conclusion (not news): We were not good... clearly bottom half of ACC. Could have easily missed the ACC and/or the NCAA tournaments.

The sweep of Coastal Carolina now stands out as the "good" anomaly in our season. I will pull of them in Omaha. I will also pull for Jim Morris (not Miami).... not sure how to do that. I'll keep you posted.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With Miami just losing, all 10 ACC teams are gone. I think there is a logical argument that NO conference should get more than 6 bids and no more than 3 hosts. There is little ability to predict how well teams will perform. Not enough real out of conference data and teams get hot and cold. ....... We should be in the CWS since we swept Coastal, right?

The bias for the SEC in football from the polls is what we see here to some extent with the ACC and SEC. I hope Florida loses tomorrow.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I gotta pull for Coastal but also like TCU for many reason, Coach is a Elon guy like Morris, and Elliott Barzilli was one of our guys (Transfer).

Will say, I'm also impress how West Coast teams manage to be there (AZ and UCSB) you better have respect (West Style) for even if they're so-so. Which is why I love baseball.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I was pulling for Miami to lose today and am glad they did. Regardless of how much I appreciate how much Morris did for GT baseball, he does not offset my dislike for everything Miami. By the way, what is with Morris and his security guard? I first noticed it when they played us this year. He has an apparent State Trooper who is like a shadow for him, he even stands guard in the dugout. I know that most football coaches have them, but Jim is the only baseball coach I have ever seen with one. Has he had death threats from some of his mafia like fans?

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I was pulling for Miami to lose today and am glad they did. Regardless of how much I appreciate how much Morris did for GT baseball, he does not offset my dislike for everything Miami. By the way, what is with Morris and his security guard? I first noticed it when they played us this year. He has an apparent State Trooper who is like a shadow for him, he even stands guard in the dugout. I know that most football coaches have them, but Jim is the only baseball coach I have ever seen with one. Has he had death threats from some of his mafia like fans?

I personally don't know but with what happen in Orlando..?:unsure:

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I was weakly pulling for Miami to win because of the ACC connection. Reconfirmed that ACC = Atlantic Choke Conference for people who want to troll. There won't be an ACC champion this year .... at least UVa won the first in a half century last year. Maybe the ACC has used up it's quota. I still can't believe that L'ville lost at home. If there was a super regional series I would have bet on, it would have been that one and Florida's.

I agree the guard doesn't make sense unless there is a personal back story. There are a lot of crazies out there; but I'd be surprised if many/any are interested in college baseball.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I noticed the State Trooper w Miami/Morris at the ACC Tournament. Tried the magic GoogleBox to find out why. Nothing came up. I'm quite curious, though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bummer to see Coastal lose last night (actually I was asleep).

But great to see Florida lose. Ding dong, the SEC is dead. Who would have thought the last ACC and SEC teams after ~17 bids would be the first out in the CWS?

The bits of games I watch make me amazed at how large the strike zone is. The announcers were talking about this being the lowest scoring CWS ever by a large margin. Since the field hasn't changed, I think either the pitchers are much better this year or the strike zone is helping them. I don't have a dog in the fight, but the large strike zone really hurts the disciplined teams who milked a lot of walks before coming to Omaha. Just have to adapt since it appears to me that the umpires are being consistently inconsistent.

Last edited: