NCAA Tourney

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From D1 -- people should really consider a subscription during the college season since there is really great content there. Excellent article on the behind the scenes considerations for selection that I won't go into but is very enlightening.

A few facts: "Prior to this season, Virginia at #22 in 2003 and Oklahoma at #23 in 2007 held the dubious honor of best RPI teams left out. Now #18 North Carolina has the new score to beat." This of course has added to the furor about the validity of the RPI.

The sixteen regional teams were all east of Lubbock, Texas and south of Louisville, Kentucky. I think with the start of the college baseball season in mid-February, this makes lots of sense as elite recruits don't want to play in the cold in general. But I would have expected some California teams to do better.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We won't beat UConn and their ace pitcher without pitching Gold. Maybe Gorst will be the man to give us the best chance to beat UF.

Do you know of any links to the starting pitchers? I didn't see anything on the GT site.

Hall should have an agreement with UConn that we both save our best pitchers for Florida. Happens all the time in cycling where deals are made on the road for that day's race to team up against someone. But probably too progressive for the game of baseball .....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After day 1, ACC is 8 for 10 (GT and Duke) only losses. SEC is 4 of 6 where the two losses were by hosts (USCe and Ole Miss).

I picked Duke to make it out of the USCe region. Who knows? Duke or USCe will get eliminated today. Gotta pull for the ACC (even if it's Duke).

BC has the inside track for the Ole Miss region ..... Ole Miss and Tulane play today and one gets eliminated. Even though I picked Ole Miss, I'd love to see them go down.

To me, it's important for the ACC to do well because I think the committee has a memory. And probably don't like to be embarrassed. The West did well, but it was day one .......

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
After day 1, ACC is 8 for 10 (GT and Duke) only losses. SEC is 4 of 6 where the two losses were by hosts (USCe and Ole Miss).

I picked Duke to make it out of the USCe region. Who knows? Duke or USCe will get eliminated today. Gotta pull for the ACC (even if it's Duke).

BC has the inside track for the Ole Miss region ..... Ole Miss and Tulane play today and one gets eliminated. Even though I picked Ole Miss, I'd love to see them go down.

To me, it's important for the ACC to do well because I think the committee has a memory. And probably don't like to be embarrassed. The West did well, but it was day one .......

It is important the ACC do well. BTW... it seems a football game broke out in Clemson yesterday. 24-10?? Wow. That not withstanding... this tournament really demonstrates how much of a premium can be placed on having 3 solid starters on your staff. BC has at least 2 if I'm not mistaken and they got a break with Ole Miss losing. We'll see if they can sneak out of that region. I am pulling for them (ACC).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
ACC with 9 teams still alive and 4 (UL, MIA, FSU, BC) unbeaten waiting to play in their respective finals. Pretty good showing for ACC; although still early.

I feel for those Vandy kids. I rarely find any reason to pull for any SEC school anytime. However, Vanderbilt is different. From a distance, their program seems to be in outstanding shape with a class act as a coach. Whenever tragedy strikes like that, you hope somehow the team is able to perform in a way that provides some 'feel good' deal to those kids as a small something to help them through the grieving process. Unfortunately, they lost both games yesterday... a blowout and a difficult comeback win by Washington. Brutal for Vandy. I pray they find peace somehow in this awful tragedy.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
4 ACC teams through to Supers (MIA, FSU, LOU, BC). Those 1st three listed were the class of the ACC and it showed as they handled their respective regionals no problem. BC is the surprise, I guess. However, they have solid pitching and that can provide what's necessary to compete and advance. They do have to get by MIA in Coral Gables. Interesting those ACC teams have not met this year. This also means the ACC is guaranteed at least one team in Omaha. LOU should be heavily favored over UCSB or Xavier in their super regional. FSU will need to play great to get past Florida.

1 ACC team is still alive, yet to advance. NCST must beat Coastal Carolina twice today to advance. Coastal has the advantage with no loss, yet... but NCST is playing at home. Will be nice to see NCST advance and make it 5 ACC teams in the Supers.

5 ACC teams (GT, WF, Clem, UVA, Duke). I suppose the only surprise here is defending national champs UVA. I really did not see them losing a home region to ECU (or W&M or Bryant). A little disappointment in Charlottesville.

The SEC has 3 teams (UF, MissSt, TxA&M) through. 2 teams (USC, LSU) still alive playing today. 2 teams (Vandy, Ole Miss) are done/eliminated.

The super regionals stand to be dominated by these 2 conferences... already 7 of the 16 teams are from those conferences. Could be as many as 10. I am happy the ACC is showing well and I'm pulling for each of them to get through to Omaha. My favorite now? Louisville...great team. No weaknesses. Fun to watch.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hey @GTNavyNuke... is there any way for us to view each others' brackets on the D1 Bracket Challenge? For what its worth (as of 630pm tonight), I think I have 12 of the 16 teams through (or still alive) to the next round. Those 12: UF, FSU, Rice, NCST, TCU, LOU, UCSB, OSU, SC, MIA, MissSt, ARI.

UVA is my big bust. Had them going FAR.... VERY FAR (not champs, though). Soft spot for UVA.. my daughter just completed her "1st year" there.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know how .... the site doesn't seem to let you print the bracket other than a screen shot. You could follow my points (TomM is name) if I got in top 100. Right now I'm at 230 and the best is 270 and top 100 cut off is 250. Given the larger number of points later, I'd guess that underdogs from regionals (mine are OK State and Coastal) will decide. No one could consistently pick upsets like Vandy and UVa

I've got 9 in and two possible (LSU & Coastal). Overall, I took a chance on 5 seeds who weren't #1, two are in and one maybe:
Coastal - won first two ... and down to their last two outs. But bases loaded and down by two runs .......
Dallas Baptist - won first two ... and out
OK State (over Clemson) .....
Duke - first out. I don't like Duke so I figured they'd do well. Should have gone with BC.
Arizona - in in five games.

Here are my CWS teams:
Florida - go to championship & lose
Coastal - hope they win today!
Texas A&M -
UVa - ouch. Picked Texas A&M to beat them at least.
L'ville - to win it all
OK State
Miami
Mississippi State

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Which loss is worse?
A) Tech's to NCST in ACC Tournament
or
B) NCST's to Coastal Carolina today

I think B

Coach Avent had a pretty awesome meltdown & ejection in yesterday's game that NCST won. But rules meant he was not allowed to coach in the next game either... bad way to end the season.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Which loss is worse?
or

I think B

Coach Avent had a pretty awesome meltdown & ejection in yesterday's game that NCST won. But rules meant he was not allowed to coach in the next game either... bad way to end the season.

Easily B. Our loss had no effect on our post-season chances or seeding whatsoever. Their loss literally ended their season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Easily B. Our loss had no effect on our post-season chances or seeding whatsoever. Their loss literally ended their season.

Yup, and they were the #1 seed at home. Second year in a row. Just awful. But I'm obviously not surprised since I picked Coastal. But I wouldn't have been surprised if NCState had won either. Ended up with 11 of 16, and 5 weren't the #1 seed. For the #2 and #3 seeds I was 3-2 which is pretty insightful. (cough)

Mostly luck. I read somewhere a few years ago that the ability of picking a baseball game winner (I think MLB) was about 65% for a single game. NBA 75%. NFL 85%.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Which loss is worse?
or

I think B

A. any GT loss is worse than any other loss. Some of yall spooning ice cream for trolls imo

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
A. any GT loss is worse than any other loss. Some of yall spooning ice cream for trolls imo
As the guy who posed the question, no trolling here. Trust me, I don't do that. Simply saw something interesting regarding these 2 games and wanted to comment...and ask a question.

Perhaps I could have framed the question a little better. No doubt.... Tech winning is ALWAYS preferred. I posted this in the "NCAA Tourney" thread and it was much more about NCST than GT. Tech happened to be the victim (self-inflicted) in the ACC tournament to NCST's good fortune when we lost in an unbelievably excruciating way.

Of note... had GT won that game, it is quite possible NCST is not hosting a regional and given the way the weather played out in their region (that final game...specifically)... well you get the idea... yesterday would have not happened the way it did. That doesn't mean NCST would have advanced; but interesting to contemplate. This is why I love sports... especially college sports. Its the little bitty things involving very young people (younger everyday as I age). Sometimes things occur in quick succession like this that put a little more emphasis on that fact. I consider NCST's plight through the ACC Tourney... NCAA bid... and ultimately "strange" 9th inning postponement to Tuesday finish in their regional.. and collapse as one of those "fun" things about sports. Tech just happened to be an opponent in that situation.

Your Friendly Anti-Troller,
FredJacket

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Baseball has very few trolls; that psychopathy mostly resides with football (e.g. the likes of WreksNEffects). The good thing about college baseball is there are so many games and no one wins them all. Unlike football where one loss can "ruin" a season. So just go on to the next.

Is discussion with a troll better than no discussion at all? It can be amusing; effective trolls have a portion of the "truth" on their side.

My bracket is a disaster, threw it out this morning :censored: Anyway, I was rooting for Arizona last night and rewarded. (y)(y) Miss St is out. Right now we know there will be between 0-4 SEC teams in the CWS (FL, USCe, A&M, LSU) and 1-3 ACC teams (BC/Mia, FSU, L'ville). I'm rooting for BC, FSU, L'ville, and anyone else who is playing an SEC team - especially Coastal.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just watched UCSB beat Louisville. Unbelievable. I should be upset that the ACC lost its top seed but I'm not. Love to see the underdog win.

Louisville lost three games all season at home. So much for stats.