NCAA Tourney

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With the defeat of BC in the play-in game, I think we are a lock for the NCAAs. I already thought that but some may have had us on the bubble. Now we are playing for not only the ACC tourney results but a possible regional hosting. I think two more wins get us that top 16 hosting. 0 or 1 win and we get a #2 seed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Even if we win 1 game out of UM, F$U and NCState, we should improve our RPI enough to maybe host a regional, right? If we make it to Sunday in the ACCCG, we should definitely host a regional.

I think that with so many good ACC teams already in the super regional / regionals we need to win more than one. Here are the teams thought to be in. We would have to displace Clemson, NC State or FSU or the ACC would get more than 6 regional sites. IF we were to win 2 of 3 and one of those three lost all three that could happen. If we win the ACC tourney (<8.25%), then it doesn't matter and we get a regional I think.

Super regional: Miami, Louisville, UVa
Regional: Clemson, NCState, FSU

Doubtful. There are too many teams in our region ahead of us and tournament play won't affect the RPI all that much.

Agree, I think the ACC gets 6 bids and we have to make a charge in the tourney. Lose all three and our RPI ends up ~20. Win 4 and it maybe ~15? (20 before the BC game.)

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Man, you guys are driving me crazy. I didn't see this and for some reason just posted about pitchers in the ACC tourney thread.

@RoosterJacket , I hope you are joking about Pitts. But if Hall has to pitch him to pay off a deal with the devil, might as well do it against Miami. Or pull him after two players on base / scored in any inning.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just don't send us to Gainesville. ANYWHERE else but Gainesville. Our NCAA dreams go to die in Gainesville.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just don't send us to Gainesville. ANYWHERE else but Gainesville. Our NCAA dreams go to die in Gainesville.

LOL, not to Florida or Louisville. Florida has lost 4 games at home this year and Louisville has only lost 1. I don't like those odds at all in a double elimination format. http://www.d1baseball.com/rpi/

D1 Baseball was just talking about GT in reference to another team. Basically taking a series from us wasn't a quality win since the only pitcher they knew was our Friday night starter ......

They also were arguing for UNC to be in the field of 64. Said UNC has two really top quality starters (like UVa last year) and could do some havoc and mayhem with a week off to get fresh while everyone else is playing for their lives.

As I wrote elsewhere, I think BC is not going to make the NCAAs and UNC is. Or maybe Duke will get bounced. I think UNC is the better team and much more dangerous. (We would have been lethal with Hughes, King, Gold, English.)

One team which won't be in the NCAAs is UGAg :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: They have never won the SEC tourney and got bounced today by Ole Miss. Too frickin bad.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we're likely a #2 seed & the ACC will get 5-6 regionals, and NCAA is going to sort of keep #2 seeds close to home AND you would assume they won't send us to an own-conference (ACC) regional site.....

...Doesn't That leaves UF. :( AAAAAGAAAIN.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
As much as I dislike UNCheat, I think it would be an injustice looking at their RPI if they didn't get in (at-large-bid). With BC, it may hurt them with not being to finish the F$U series (0-1) and losing to Pitt and ND, but they did beat UVa, Louisville, Wake and Us in the conference. That might be strong enough for a at-large-bid as well ?

Duke, has a resume if you look at their schedule in the conference with wins over Us, Clemson, F$U and Pitt. They could get a at-large-bid or not.

IMHO, I would love to have 11 teams in the Tournament (set a record) would also speak volumes of this conference. It will be interesting if we get 8, 9, 10 or even 11 teams and which team(s) get left out.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, you guys are driving me crazy. I didn't see this and for some reason just posted about pitchers in the ACC tourney thread.

@RoosterJacket , I hope you are joking about Pitts. But if Hall has to pitch him to pay off a deal with the devil, might as well do it against Miami. Or pull him after two players on base / scored in any inning.
Whoops, I forgot Ryan. I'm predicting more who CDH will pitch over who I personally think should pitch. I think regardless of who pitches, got to have the next guy ready quick.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVa's loss to Clemson today may have killed UVa's chances of hosting a super regional. Last year UVa was greatly aided by being the site for the Maryland super regional since Maryland didn't have a stadium (according to a UVa fan I didn't bother to look it up). Damn, if we don't win, I'd just as soon it be UVa as compared to any other team .........

Hosting is a big deal since 1) you are supposed to be the best in your bracket and 2) the home team usually wins.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1 Baseball had us at a #3 seed in Starkville before we beat BC on Tuesday. I have no idea. Depends on the game tomorrow and what everyone else does. Even if I knew that, I'd have no way to predict where we go. I've heard the committee likes to keep teams in their region all other things being equal.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Throw in Conway SC as a regional host site. Coastal is D1's pick to host after NC State lost again last night. I wouldn't mind us going to that site :cautious: Where we go still depends a lot on whether we beat NC State and how others play, I don't think much is set in stone as to who goes where, but the NCAA committee is all college ADs I think.

Throw in Conway SC as a regional host site. Coastal is D1's pick to host after NC State lost again last night. I wouldn't mind us going to that site :cautious: Where we go still depends a lot on whether we beat NC State and how others play, I don't think much is set in stone as to who goes where, but the NCAA committee is all college ADs I think.
It's actually in Myrtle Beach about 1.5 miles from ocean blvd. That would be grrrrreat.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
With Wake beating UVa, UVa is out of a National Seeding. Also, Wake could push us out of the tournament like they did in 2007. We need to beat NC State. If we lose, this will be the first time that Danny Hall has gone 0-3 in the ACC tournament.