NCAA Tourney

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With Wake beating UVa, UVa is out of a National Seeding. Also, Wake could push us out of the tournament like they did in 2007. We need to beat NC State. If we lose, this will be the first time that Danny Hall has gone 0-3 in the ACC tournament.

Hall is 1-2 in the tourney right now by the I would count it; but you're right if you only count pool play.

Again, D1 Baseball thinks there will be 10 ACC teams in the 64 and 9 or 10 SEC teams. That's based on the two conferences being so much better than everyone in out of conference play. As of this afternoon, they had us as a 3 seed in Starkville (no change from before the BC game). http://www.d1baseball.com/postseason/latest-field-64-may-27/ Winning could bump us to a 2 seed in their view; but the only opinion which really matters is on Monday evening.

Wake was in when they won the play in game I think, just like us. I agree with their wins this week over UVa and Duke but a loss to Louisville they moved up a bit. But they weren't our competition for the final ACC berths, I think UNC and BC were. But we took care of both when we beat BC in the play in game - and probably put BC out. Again, Monday evening is what matters. I just want to see us advance for the prestige, I have no expectations of getting to the super regional, but you never know. We have a better chance if we are playing than if we aren't. {Yogi Berrism}

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Hall is 1-2 in the tourney right now by the I would count it; but you're right if you only count pool play.

Again, D1 Baseball thinks there will be 10 ACC teams in the 64 and 9 or 10 SEC teams. That's based on the two conferences being so much better than everyone in out of conference play. As of this afternoon, they had us as a 3 seed in Starkville (no change from before the BC game). http://www.d1baseball.com/postseason/latest-field-64-may-27/ Winning could bump us to a 2 seed in their view; but the only opinion which really matters is on Monday evening.

Wake was in when they won the play in game I think, just like us. I agree with their wins this week over UVa and Duke but a loss to Louisville they moved up a bit. But they weren't our competition for the final ACC berths, I think UNC and BC were. But we took care of both when we beat BC in the play in game - and probably put BC out. Again, Monday evening is what matters. I just want to see us advance for the prestige, I have no expectations of getting to the super regional, but you never know. We have a better chance if we are playing than if we aren't. {Yogi Berrism}

Still have nightmares of 2007 when I thought we were in. #Flashbacks

Your probably right. I'd like to have as many ACC teams in as possible but BC is the odd man out for sure. These other tournaments will be a deciding factor as well too.

And I was talking about pool play but like yours better:)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Balls, that's what Pitts threw to walk the first batter on four pitches. Hall is wrong to start Pitts. But we got a DP. So all is good. (tic)

Wow a double and a SO. 2nd time in 10 games that we haven't had the other team score on us in the first. Pitts must have thought it was the second inning, he only walked one.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NC State is killing themselves. A walk, 2 wild pitches and an error in the fourth. On top of three GT hits, we take the lead 4-3. NC State must be really depleted in pitchers.

I almost would like to see us not go to the NCAAs if it means not having to have Pitts pitch. The guy is done in two weeks, why aren't we developing pitchers who will come back? Because our coaching staff is brain dead.

Update: Gorst in for Pitts. Pitts only had an 6.75 ERA for this game. Much better than I expected. Of course we don't have any better pitchers (hint, don't check the stats).

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Like I said, we will be chewing on our nails come Monday.

It will be appropriately ironic if we don't get a bid to the NCAAs since the last game started would have been by Pitts when Dulaney would have been better short and long term. Hall set the team up for failure by starting Pitts. The guy is in over his head but it's not Pitts' fault. Hall has pitched Parr the 3rd most innings (behind Gold and Parr) while Pitts has the 6th best WHIP or ERA for starters (Gold, Gibson, Parr, Dulaney and Ryan are better). That is incompetent use of the resources we have. And doesn't develop for our future.

I don't think we deserve a bid based on the last month of play but think we will get one based on the whole season. This has a good summary of all the teams and their RPI but also as importantly their out of conference and record against top teams. Our 22-4 record out of conference including the sweep of Coastal is massive. http://www.d1baseball.com/rpi/ Also look at our record versus top 25 / 50 / 100. There are 64 teams in the NCAAs, only about 10 are elite. The rest have major deficiencies.

But when we get a bid, it will probably be a 3 seed and we are very unlikely (<10% to make it out of regionals). Hall has had another end of season swoon. This year's reason/excuse* is the loss of King and Hughes. And I believe with them we would be a top 10 team; too much talent for even our coaching staff to screw up.

So I'm not chewing my nails at this point. Look at the bright side, if we don't go to regionals, I don't have to watch Hall's pitching decisions any more.

*The way I look at is it's a reason if a problem is isolated and and excuse if the problem is recurring . So if you only look at the loss of these two players in isolation it is a reason. If you look at our dismal pitching depth over the last decade, it's an excuse.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Like I said, we will be chewing on our nails come Monday.

Hmmmmm, did you read that at D1Baseball in today's article (just kidding)? "Georgia Tech has plenty of metrics in its favor, but is in the danger zone after losing to North Carolina State in grueling fashion Friday night to drop to 0-3 in the ACC tournament. The Yellow Jackets didn’t finish the regular season strong, and with the three losses in Durham, N.C., will head into Selection Monday biting their nails. The Jackets have an RPI of 20 and now have an overall ACC record of 13-19 after the tournament, along with a 14-20 record vs. RPI Top 50 teams."

Whether we make the NCAAs or not, there is no reason to expect anything but more of the same. We can hope without justification, but that all.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1 Baseball has us on the edge. Basically since conference champs are given an automatic bid, if a team which wouldn't have gotten a bid wins the conference and there is another team in the conference which has a good enough record to make the NCAA tournament, then there is a "stolen bid":

"..... Our prediction for Sunday is that Houston, Utah, Iowa and Southeastern Louisiana all win automatic bids, making them four new entrants in our field since Friday. The four teams they would knock out of our Friday field are Michigan, UConn, North Carolina and Georgia Tech. Out of those, Georgia Tech is our 65th team, so we still believe the Yellow Jackets would make the field if Washington wins the Pac-12 or Ohio State wins the Big Ten. We’re also picking TCU to win the Big 12 and West Virginia to fall just short of an at-large spot."

I think we are in regardless, especially with Bobinski on the committee to make sure our 22-4 OOC record is considered along with our 20 RPI. If that doesn't get us into the top ~44 teams (considering 20 "stolen bids"), I'll be surprised. But I will root for Ohio State (10 AM start) and Washington (2 PM start) today. Yes I'm a masochist to want to extend the season. But for the prestige of the program and the players, I really want to see us in.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
So, if it is true that the teams who aren't the highest ranked teams in their conferences win the automatic bid and knock Tech. and UNC out, then the teams bumping us out obviously have higher rankings than us. Right? I don't recall Ohio State and Washington being ranked higher than Tech. and UNC.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So, if it is true that the teams who aren't the highest ranked teams in their conferences win the automatic bid and knock Tech. and UNC out, then the teams bumping us out obviously have higher rankings than us. Right? I don't recall Ohio State and Washington being ranked higher than Tech. and UNC.

Every conference gets one automatic bid to its champion. Then it's up to the committee.

Apparently, they like to balance things out some since the RPI is far from the Holy Grail of predicting team capabilities. The committee likes to give the best conferences the most spots. But if you are really bad in your conference (ACC/SEC) then you won't make it even with a "high" RPI of 40 or better. Also, the committee apparently rewards the northern and western teams a bit too, but for different reasons. For northern and western teams, there are fewer high quality opponents to pump up the RPI in their vicinity so they are given an upward bias.

For example, one year UNC had a 29 RPI and didn't make the NCAAs since there were more "worthy" ACC teams in front of them that filled up the quota that they set for the ACC. We'll see some lower RPI teams (e.g.<40) pushed out by higher RPI teams (e.g. RPI >40) this year.

I really don't have a problem with how they do it since there are 300 teams competing for the top 64 spots. And it make sense to reward some of the smaller programs with an NCAA bid even though they (like us) have little chance to advance. It increases the interest in college baseball which is lacking (in my opinion). You can read and listen to a lot of the considerations on D1 Baseball, I have for the first time this year and have learned a lot. It makes the game more interesting.

BTW, Ohio State beat Michigan State and Iowa today to prevent either of those two from getting a stolen bid. (Also TCU beat WV to prevent a WV stolen bid. And Louisiana-Layafette beat Ga Southern to prevent GS from getting a stone bid.) So if @Stinger90 is right that the ACC gets 11 bids, we are in easily. Even with 9 bids, I think we are in.

Why would GT want to make it easy?

But the only opinion which counts is tomorrow evening.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Every conference gets one automatic bid to its champion. Then it's up to the committee.

Apparently, they like to balance things out some since the RPI is far from the Holy Grail of predicting team capabilities. The committee likes to give the best conferences the most spots. But if you are really bad in your conference (ACC/SEC) then you won't make it even with a "high" RPI of 40 or better. Also, the committee apparently rewards the northern and western teams a bit too, but for different reasons. For northern and western teams, there are fewer high quality opponents to pump up the RPI in their vicinity so they are given an upward bias.

For example, one year UNC had a 29 RPI and didn't make the NCAAs since there were more "worthy" ACC teams in front of them that filled up the quota that they set for the ACC. We'll see some lower RPI teams (e.g.<40) pushed out by higher RPI teams (e.g. RPI >40) this year.

I really don't have a problem with how they do it since there are 300 teams competing for the top 64 spots. And it make sense to reward some of the smaller programs with an NCAA bid even though they (like us) have little chance to advance. It increases the interest in college baseball which is lacking (in my opinion). You can read and listen to a lot of the considerations on D1 Baseball, I have for the first time this year and have learned a lot. It makes the game more interesting.

BTW, Ohio State beat Michigan State and Iowa today to prevent either of those two from getting a stolen bid. (Also TCU beat WV to prevent a WV stolen bid. And Louisiana-Layafette beat Ga Southern to prevent GS from getting a stone bid.) So if @Stinger90 is right that the ACC gets 11 bids, we are in easily. Even with 9 bids, I think we are in.

Why would GT want to make it easy?

But the only opinion which counts is tomorrow evening.

Brackets are filling up fast that's true. We should at the less have more than the SEC, NO ? Call me paranoid this year when the SEC has always in the past dominated the scene.

GT has really never made it easy for us. It takes a special person that's a glutton for punishment which is a real true fan. Or an idiot. lol

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
16 Regional hosts named:
7 SEC: Texas A&M, Florida, Miss St, Ole Miss, Vandy, LSU, South Carolina
6 ACC: Miami, FSU, UVA, NCST, Clemson, Louisville
TCU
Texas Tech
Louisiana-Lafayette

Entire field named tomorrow at noon--top 8 seeds from above will be named tomorrow, too.