NCAA Tourney

What are the odds we make the NCAA Tourney?

• 0- <10%

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • 10 - <20%

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • 20 - <40%

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 40% or greater

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The coach had to be willing to ‘break the rules’ and use him......not sure ours would do so. Got to limit their pitch count, you know!
As a general rule covering the 295 (of 297) D1 teams that had (potentially) games to play beyond their final game...(unlike OSU & Ark in final game of CWS)... You do have to limit pitch count.

Comparing coaching decisions in last night's game to coaching decisions in EVERY other go-zillion games not called the 3rd of 3 in CWS championship is a tad bit disingenuous.

GO JACKETS!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As a general rule covering the 295 (of 297) D1 teams that had (potentially) games to play beyond their final game...(unlike OSU & Ark in final game of CWS)... You do have to limit pitch count.

Comparing coaching decisions in last night's game to coaching decisions in EVERY other go-zillion games not called the 3rd of 3 in CWS championship is a tad bit disingenuous.

GO JACKETS!
Just wondering why.

Read an interesting article about the great pitchers of the 60's and 70's. Tom Seaver's pitch count "limit" was 135. (He really didn't have one but that was where he figured he lost effectiveness.) Innings pitched in those days were MUCH higher than they are today. It did not seem to hurt him, or Gibson, or Cuellar, or...on and on...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/144276-why-cant-pitchers-throw-as-many-innings-as-they-used-to

I am seriously starting to challenge the orthodoxy of pitch counts.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just wondering why.

Read an interesting article about the great pitchers of the 60's and 70's. Tom Seaver's pitch count "limit" was 135. (He really didn't have one but that was where he figured he lost effectiveness.) Innings pitched in those days were MUCH higher than they are today. It did not seem to hurt him, or Gibson, or Cuellar, or...on and on...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/144276-why-cant-pitchers-throw-as-many-innings-as-they-used-to

I am seriously starting to challenge the orthodoxy of pitch counts.

Hell just go back to the 70s and 80s when we saw pitchers with 300 plus Ks. I've never understood the pitch count mindset, innings pitched is far more indicative of work on a pitcher imo. I've seen pitcher throw 35 pitches in one innings and then settle in and throw 12-15 pitches/inning and pitch a CG or close to it. 12-15 pitches an inning = 108-135 for a 9 inning CG. When did that become excessive?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hell just go back to the 70s and 80s when we saw pitchers with 300 plus Ks. I've never understood the pitch count mindset, innings pitched is far more indicative of work on a pitcher imo. I've seen pitcher throw 35 pitches in one innings and then settle in and throw 12-15 pitches/inning and pitch a CG or close to it. 12-15 pitches an inning = 108-135 for a 9 inning CG. When did that become excessive?
We are in violent agreement (on this topic anyway) ;)

LibertyTurns

Banned
It became excessive when they started paying pitchers $10M/yr to pitch. You’re on the hook for a lot of cash with a lot less revenue when your star pitcher’s rehabbing.