NCAA Tournament

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll wait until tomorrow night to see how conferences are performing.

Right now you have 5 teams advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. One each from the
ACC
B10
Big East
B12
Pac12

SEC is likely to get their first one through in about an hour.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have been pretty good with my picks but I’ll say after watching the games I’ve seen I’m getting antsy about picking Purdue to get to the final 4.

I though VaTech would beat Texas and then be an easier player matchup for Purdue. I need them to win this game, then hopefully put Saint Peter’s to bed (though I love the storyline of a 15 seed making a deep run so am willing to lose bragging rights for their victory if they go deep).

I suspect UCLA’s defense will be too much for UNC; so

slugboy

Staff member
Love this and the NCAAT

The NBA could use more of this. He’s got that Rambis look

53A7A811-E490-460D-A7EA-342BAEA1AF92.jpeg

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I may have just witnessed the worst technical foul call ever.

Illinois kid dunks on a breakaway. Running full speed so had to swing a bit to gather himself or certainly would've done a back flip.

They teed him up. Terrible call.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So 9 teams through to the Sweet Sixteen from 9 different conferences.

The last 7 will determine how many each of the power conferences get in the Sweet Sixteen
Last 7 games are
B10 vs BE
B10 vs ACC
B12 vs B10
ACC vs B12
ACC vs SEC
B12 vs B10
B12 vs P12

The 2nd team is the higher seed in each game.
ACC has 3 teams playing, 1 higher seed
BE 1 team, higher seed
B10 4 teams, 2 higher seeds
B12 4 teams, 1 higher seed
P12 1 team, higher seed
SEC 1 team, higher seed

Also, only the B10 and B12 have more than one game against the same conference (against each other). If all the seeds held the B10 would end up with 3 in the Sweet Sixteen and every other power conference would have 2.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When Kofi decided to return to Illinois there was a lot of national championship talk with them. I wonder if his skills are not working in today's game. Especially in the NBA.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Illinois kid dunks on a breakaway. Running full speed so had to swing a bit to gather himself or certainly would've done a back flip.

I don't have a problem with hanging on the rim but when they hang and pull their knees up, IMO that should be a technical. That is not a move needed to protect injury.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
When Kofi decided to return to Illinois there was a lot of national championship talk with them. I wonder if his skills are not working in today's game. Especially in the NBA.
They showed several times where HOU targeted him on defense by putting him in the 'action'.

He was slow to move his feet, which will hurt him at the next level unless he's Shaq on offense.

I don't have a problem with hanging on the rim but when they hang and pull their knees up, IMO that should be a technical. That is not a move needed to protect injury.

It's natural to pull your knees up to arrest your momentum.

It's obvious when a guy is trying to be a showman. What happened in this game was not that.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I honestly thought the refs blew the whistle to call the obvious 3.5 step travel before the dunk. The technical was nowhere on my radar. Two blown calls on one play.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It wasn’t just being put in action on defense, I didn’t think Kofi was very active on offense. Lot of standing on the off side and not really strong at posting up. Houston was really good on D but he made it easier for them

I expect any NBA team that takes him is going to focus on fitness to get him moving more

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I honestly thought the refs blew the whistle to call the obvious 3.5 step travel before the dunk. The technical was nowhere on my radar. Two blown calls on one play.

Thank you!

I was like, "bold calling that travel but it's the right call .....bwhat!? Hanging on the rim?"

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It wasn’t just being put in action on defense, I didn’t think Kofi was very active on offense. Lot of standing on the off side and not really strong at posting up. Houston was really good on D but he made it easier for them

I expect any NBA team that takes him is going to focus on fitness to get him moving more

Unless he shows he's more than just a sometimes bully vs smaller college C's, his stay in the league will be short.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Michigan moves to the sweet 16. Have to say, I find myself rooting for them pretty much whenever I watch them play.
This is how I’m starting to feel about Houston. That team plays as hard and tough as anybody going back to last year (and probably further, if I had been paying attention).