NCAA Tournament

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. I get that, but they were flat lucky tonight against an unranked team with a losing conference record.

One game, in the NCAAT isn't exactly a great reason to same a team is overseeded especially since 1 one seed and 2 two seeds are already out.

Also, conference records are not a great way of comparing teams in different conferences. Memphis being 13-5 in the American doesn't make them better than TCU just because TCU went 8-10 in the Big 12. Memphis played a BIg 12 team who went 7-11 in conference and lost by 20 on a neutral court. And Gonzaga struggled against memphis.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One game, in the NCAAT isn't exactly a great reason to same a team is overseeded especially since 1 one seed and 2 two seeds are already out.

Also, conference records are not a great way of comparing teams in different conferences. Memphis being 13-5 in the American doesn't make them better than TCU just because TCU went 8-10 in the Big 12. Memphis played a BIg 12 team who went 7-11 in conference and lost by 20 on a neutral court. And Gonzaga struggled against memphis.
I don't disagree with any of this. I watched them play. Their pedigree showed up nicely at the end, but the game should never have been at that place. Still, if the half court mugging had been properly called, TCU wins the game.

Another point. The officials in these first weekend games have been abominably inconsistency and, at times, excersized flagrantly bad judgement. There has to be some serious introspection within the NCAA after the tournament to fix this. Several bad calls changed the course of games this weekend when a more approppriate call would have been easy to make. As a former player it was disheartening to watch young men robbed of their dreams by a terrible mistake made by someone else.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Part of the reason for the NCAAT’s greatness is that the best team does not always win. Every game is do or die, and a good matchup or good performance by the underdog, or vice versa, can end with an unexpected result.

The team that wins the tournament is not necessarily the best team for the entirety of the year. Similarly, conference performance in the NCAAT is not irrefutable proof of preheld theories going in to the tournament.

The same goes for conference tournaments. Virginia Tech was not the best team in the ACC this year. They were the best team at the right time.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Part of the reason for the NCAAT’s greatness is that the best team does not always win. Every game is do or die, and a good matchup or good performance by the underdog, or vice versa, can end with an unexpected result.

The team that wins the tournament is not necessarily the best team for the entirety of the year. Similarly, conference performance in the NCAAT is not irrefutable proof of preheld theories going in to the tournament.

The same goes for conference tournaments. Virginia Tech was not the best team in the ACC this year. They were the best team at the right time.
Who do you think is the best ACC team right now?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
TCU got robbed at the end, though that was good for my Bracket.
My Bracket is so weird.
I have only 9 of the Sweet Sixteen and 5 of my Elite Eight, but all 4 of my Final Four still left.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

That's the ol' SEC motto ain't it.

'If'n we get beat, claim it was just us beatin' ourselves all year.'

TCU got robbed at the end, though that was good for my Bracket.
My Bracket is so weird.
I have only 9 of the Sweet Sixteen and 5 of my Elite Eight, but all 4 of my Final Four still left.

Just means you're poised for a late surge in the bracket challenge. ;)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In two years?
I'm not nearly as high on Smith as some on this board are. I see an athlete that plays basketball more than a basketball player that is an athlete.
If you look at his numbers his first 2 years of college you don't really see any growth as a player yet.
His numbers are remarkedly similar on a per possession rate. His Ortg and Drtg are quite close as both a FR and SO. Based on those he is a below average offensive player - largely due to poor shooting from both 3-pt range and the FT line and a high TO volume and an average defensive player. His offensive weaknesses make him a problematic player to have on the court at the end of close games.

He has a long ways to go and he is going to have to show alot more development both skill wise and mentally.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not nearly as high on Smith as some on this board are. I see an athlete that plays basketball more than a basketball player that is an athlete.
If you look at his numbers his first 2 years of college you don't really see any growth as a player yet.
His numbers are remarkedly similar on a per possession rate. His Ortg and Drtg are quite close as both a FR and SO. Based on those he is a below average offensive player - largely due to poor shooting from both 3-pt range and the FT line and a high TO volume and an average defensive player. His offensive weaknesses make him a problematic player to have on the court at the end of close games.

He has a long ways to go and he is going to have to show alot more development both skill wise and mentally.
I am hoping Smith is developed similarly to Usher. Both the control of the out of control energy and also the development of a legit jump shot. It likely will be 2nd year before he gets there (need fingers crossed emoji). The athleticism does give him a really nice ceiling to his game - recognizing the out of control factor gives a floor lower than I would want. But I don't argue with where he is now.

I will be curious to see how warm CJP's seat gets if it does take 2 years for the talent to improve.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I must say, watching the tournament is frustrating on a couple fronts.

I think, if you dropped GT into the field, we'd more than hold our own against most of these teams in a one-off game.

But you can also see the depth of talent these teams have that aided them in navigating their seasons so much more successfully.

Then, you kinda wonder where we're gonna be at next year considering we lose our top 2 players and could likely lose more (just because every team does).

So it's clear how hard we're gonna have to hit the portal. But then I'm like, the caliber of player(s) we need are gonna have options that are closer to the finish line than we'll be. So ...... *sigh*

:(

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I must say, watching the tournament is frustrating on a couple fronts.

I think, if you dropped GT into the field, we'd more than hold our own against most of these teams in a one-off game.

But you can also see the depth of talent these teams have that aided them in navigating their seasons so much more successfully.

Then, you kinda wonder where we're gonna be at next year considering we lose our top 2 players and could likely lose more (just because every team does).

So it's clear how hard we're gonna have to hit the portal. But then I'm like, the caliber of player(s) we need are gonna have options that are closer to the finish line than we'll be. So ...... *sigh*

:(
I have been impressed with the athleticism and physical strength most of the remaining teams have. We don't match up well in that regard.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have been impressed with the athleticism and physical strength most of the remaining teams have. We don't match up well in that regard.

True but I purposely left that part out because I wanted to trend toward positives. So ...

Blayne Weaver Thank You GIF by Best Part Productions

Seriously though, it's like some of these teams .. and not even just the blue bloods .. have multiple Jordan Ushers and Moses Wrights out there.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
True but I purposely left that part out because I wanted to trend toward positives. So ...

Blayne Weaver Thank You GIF by Best Part Productions

Seriously though, it's like some of these teams .. and not even just the blue bloods .. have multiple Jordan Ushers and Moses Wrights out there.
Watching TCU was an enlightened moment for me. Eddie Lampkin is not a great basketball player, but wow, what an athlete. And Mike Miles is one tough dude. I loved watching them.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How did AZ get a #1 seed?
7-2 against Tournament teams including multiple road/neutral wins and their third loss was a Quad 1 loss to a NIT team.
Not many teams will have that type of resume.

AZ looked like it was going to pull away late but TCU did a great job coming back at the end.