NCAA Ruling - Postseason Ban, Among Other Bogus Things...

der-k

Georgia Tech Fan
Did this surprise anyone? This is in the ballpark of what I’ve expected as a punishment since shortly after the Ron Bell stuff went public - the NCAA was given pretty strong evidence of our lack of institutional control and was bound to respond.

Is the NCAA corrupt as an organization? Very! That doesn’t really have anything to do with this. Also, whining about Duke and UNC and other schools is just that. Go find their Ron Bells and get ‘em publicized.

Also, expecting something to change with Pastner because of the announcement of the punishment is strange. The administration knew this was coming too, it’s baked into expectations. He might indeed get let go sooner than later - GT hasn’t covered itself in glory on his watch and the future doesn’t look particularly bright - but the only difference in his narrative now from a few days ago is that we can put a date on the punishment.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Recruits not being able to come to our home games for 2 years might be a good thing. I wouldn't commit to Georgia Tech if I walked into McCamish and saw 6,500 in Blue Devil shirts and 2,100 in Tech Gold either.

Jokes aside, you should absolutely still attend every game this season and support the players. It's the least you can do. Winning 20+ games this year and building momentum in the face of the sanctions would be the best revenge.

Deleted member 2897

Recruits not being able to come to our home games for 2 years might be a good thing. I wouldn't commit to Georgia Tech if I walked into McCamish and saw 6,500 in Blue Devil shirts and 2,100 in Tech Gold either.

Jokes aside, you should absolutely still attend every game this season and support the players. It's the least you can do. Winning 20+ games this year and building momentum in the face of the sanctions would be the best revenge.

And Students - please bring your poster board signs “F The NCAA” and chant it every chance you get.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

I have season tickets and I’ll be there every game (health permitting), even as despondent as I am about today’s results. I agree that having a great season would be a great way to spit in the eyes of the (governing body whose initials now live in infamy with B*** L*****).

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I can’t think of a reason to keep him.

But with a post-season ban, reduced scholarships, reduced budget, etc., who would take the job? Basically a babysitter to mind the hen house until the penalties are paid. Hmmm....wonder what Brian Gregory is doing the next four years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
USA Today (Dan Wolken)’s article says a lot of the same things we’ve been saying
1. We got hammered
2. Our infractions were (very) minor
3. We acted as diligently as we could have
4. We weren’t in the FBI investigation or even some of the other severe violations

and in addition
5. Our timing was horrible to coincide with the FBI mess and
6. Our penalties are there to justify really severe penalties against Kansas and other big programs in the FBI probe and
7. We’re unlikely to get relief because of 5 and 6

Better job than the local folk

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...d-worry-kansas-arizona-blue-bloos/3777760002/

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
But with a post-season ban, reduced scholarships, reduced budget, etc., who would take the job? Basically a babysitter to mind the hen house until the penalties are paid. Hmmm....wonder what Brian Gregory is doing the next four years?

Mark Price or Craig Neal

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
My position depends on the "for cause" applicability - usually results in a negotiated settlement and Pastner's position is relatively weak.

If Stansbury can get out of this contract with minimal damage, he should, and we could then use the savings we won't have to overpay a lame duck coach to build up the war chest for a better hire in 5 years. We are going to be stuck with a caretaker coach no matter what for the next 4, with hardly a chance to recruit while these restrictions are in place. After that, it will be like starting an expansion team. In the meantime, it might as well be manned by the pep band at a much lower payout because no coach who is ambitious will try to build his resume with these kinds of built-in barriers to success. Who would interview for a job at a company that is about to declare bankruptcy and begin staff cuts?

If Stansbury can't get out at a reasonable cost, then he has no choice but to keep Pastner until his buyout is acceptable and the penalties expire. Then they can start building a new program roster from scratch. Unless these penalties are significantly reduced, this program is dead for the next 4 years and it will take years to establish a new one after that.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Mark Price or Craig Neal
The only coach worth retaining on staff is Eric Reveno. The question is, why would he put his coaching career progression in reverse for the next 4 years of hell when some other school would hire him and allow him to build a positive resume, either as an assistant or head coach?

Don't fool yourselves, if these penalties stand, this is a death penalty for any college basketball program. They will effectively shut off the recruiting lifeblood of a program for 4 years. Recruiting was on life support the last few years as it is, but this is pulling the plug and complete cardiac arrest for 4 years. No program can survive that.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
My position depends on the "for cause" applicability - usually results in a negotiated settlement and Pastner's position is relatively weak.

If Stansbury can get out of this contract with minimal damage, he should, and we could then use the savings we won't have to overpay a lame duck coach to build up the war chest for a better hire in 5 years. We are going to be stuck with a caretaker coach no matter what for the next 4, with hardly a chance to recruit while these restrictions are in place. After that, it will be like starting an expansion team. In the meantime, it might as well be manned by the pep band at a much lower payout because no coach who is ambitious will try to build his resume with these kinds of built-in barriers to success. Who would interview for a job at a company that is about to declare bankruptcy and begin staff cuts?

If Stansbury can't get out at a reasonable cost, then he has no choice but to keep Pastner until his buyout is acceptable and the penalties expire. Then they can start building a new program roster from scratch. Unless these penalties are significantly reduced, this program is dead for the next 4 years and it will take years to establish a new one after that.
Maybe Pastner will cuss out and verbally abuse a few players then we can fire him for cause.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
This is unbelievable! My first thoughts go out to our kids and how to minimize the damage to these players who have committed to Georgia Tech, and to their coach. All these players have had a positive relationship with CJP or they would not be here. They need all the support the staff can give them at this crucial time. To fire Josh at this time would be unfair to our guys. We should try our best to keep the best team together that we have had in many years, make an aggressive appeal, and let this thing play out. We will have a much clearer understanding of our best course of action in March than we do right now. I understand the bitterness expressed towards our coach, but our first thoughts should be about our players at this stage of the game.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA went way overboard. The question will can and what can we get reversed thru appeal. To add insult to injury they aren’t allowing recruits to visit home games...that’s punitive to a ridiculous degree on top of everything else.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA went way overboard. The question will can and what can we get reversed thru appeal. To add insult to injury they aren’t allowing recruits to visit home games...that’s punitive to a ridiculous degree on top of everything else.
What if we say the recruits are there to watch the other school??? F%ck it. At this point lie, cheat, steal, whatever! Everyone else is doing it why not us! Great example the ncaa sets for the good of “student athletes”

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If the timeline is true, it really undermines DLab's victim claims.

I believed DLab, but it's hard to reconcile.