NCAA Ruling - Postseason Ban, Among Other Bogus Things...

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
In all seriousness. I don't see how we gain much of anything by firing Pastner right now. Might as well let him coach this season while we appeal the ruling. If the players stay, things go our way on the court and we get the postseason ban lifted with the appeal then we can fire him if we want after the season and the new coach coming in will have less of a hill to climb. No one worth a **** is going to come to Tech to coach this team this year. Especially given that it's almost October.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Until we find some guards who can shoot and get their own shot the post season ban doesn’t matter. It just means we have one less game on a Wednesday to be frustrated about come ACC tourney time.

slugboy

Staff member
Would we just have an interim or something for the season with the ban? Not sure how anyone talks these kids into staying put.

I’d take Coach Rev, but we’re only 3 hours from the announcement, so that’s premature. I’m premature with even that much of a statement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
If we wait to fire Pastner until after the season, wouldn’t that jeopardize our ability to not pay the buyout?

He would 100% sue and ask why it took so long to fire him (lawyers would argue that he was fired for performance and not for the NCAA penalties).

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So a couple of things.

First off, in light of some of the other recent, and probably pending rulings, this is absurd. There is just no justification for the post season ban, and it's 100% done just as a posturing maneuver by the NCAA. I usually ridicule those that jump to the "suing everyone" solution online but I think GT needs to at least look into considering legal action if the ban is upheld.

Second, I wonder if we appeal would the post season ban be halted while the appeal is going on. I assume that it would have to be so it's possible that the ban won't affect this season. Now whether it is better to have it now or next year is a different question but it was a thought.

As far as Pastner goes, I am still going with the idea that since he was cleared by our own investigation and the report said he did not have "head coaching responsibilities" in the violations that firing him for cause is still not likely. To be fair, I could be completely wrong and there could be things in his contract but I doubt it's an open and close case and I'm not sure that's the hill we need to be dying on right now. In that case I don't think it really changes much for Pastner. I think he needed to make the NCAAT in year 5 and have a good looking class coming in to go along with it. This will make it harder for him to accomplish that but if he does it's probably not worth blowing it up in that situation.

I don't hang out on the basketball side because we've been just plain awful for a decade now. What reason should a casual fan have to think we're any better?

We have the best guard situation we've had in a decade with Jose, Mike, and Bubba gaining eligibility, with a couple of other solid looking backup types to steal some minutes. We also have decent options at most other spots with no real glaring weaknesses like in year's past. The biggest weakness looks to be back up center, but that being our biggest weakness means we were poised to have a better year.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The more I read and think about this, the less sense it makes. Everyone knows the Ron Bell shenanigans and the NCAA has acknowledged he was a rogue actor. Summary of the DLab events from the NCAA decision:
  • DLab and Justin Moore take Wendall Carter to former GT player's (presumably JJack) house to look at his shoe collection.
  • DLab takes Moore and Carter to strip club where Jack supposedly gives them each $300 which was all spent at the club (DLab says Jack dropped the money himself).
  • DLab takes Moore and Carter to another NBA player's lounge, where they did not interact with anyone notable, but did dine and dash without paying.
  • DLab tells Moore not to tell anyone about what happened.
  • One year later, NCAA starts sniffing around, presumably via Carter snitching. They interview Moore who is honest and upfront.
  • Moore tries to contact DLab but can't reach him so he goes to to Marvin Lewis, who told him not to contact DLab.
  • DLab has his interview with NCAA, where he denies everything. DLab immediately tries to contact Moore, who reaches out to Marvin instead. Marvin tells him to avoid DLab, then pulls him out of practice when DLab tried to talk to him about changing his story.
  • The next day, DLab calls the NCAA to fess up. GT puts him on leave the same day and he eventually resigns.
So the only bad actor here is DLab who fessed up after one day. And GT promptly suspended him. Moreover, the NCAA acknowledges "Georgia Tech's cooperation in all parts of this case and determines it was consistent with [its] obligation" and "specifically commends the institution for taking swift action once the head coach learned that the booster he welcomed into his program may have committed violations." There is nothing else that GT could have done, they self-reported as soon they learned anything, suspended and eventually cut ties with the bad actor, and cooperated fully with the NCAA, yet are hit with this ridiculous penalty.

As much as it pains and embarrasses me, the only logical explanation is the fact that GT is a significant repeat offender. The NCAA decision places significant weight on the fact this is GT's third major violation in the past eight years, all of which implicated the basketball program to some extent.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Telecon with GT media at 3:15

There's a press conference today, you mean?

Sorry, wasn't sure what a 'telecon' was.

I’d take Coach Rev, but we’re only 3 hours from the announcement, so that’s premature. I’m premature with even that much of a statement.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uh, why? Take a look at his tenure as a HC.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Wow, just wow. Pastner has been the largest sack of s--- since Bill Lewis. At least with Lewis we could start clean.TStan may be over his head--or not.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I'm just ..... like, what is there to say at this point?

I can't even get upset at things on our level yet. I'm literally on fire about the gall the NCAA has to punish anyone for anything in light of the facts out there about the blue bloods.
Exactly. If ANYONE deserves to have "lack of institutional control" thrown at them, it's the NCAA itself.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Thanks. I haven't been able to find a stream. If anything of consequence is said, please let us know.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Exactly. If ANYONE deserves to have "lack of institutional control" thrown at them, it's the NCAA itself.

Then again, it's likely the issue is smucks like us are missing the point of the NCAA. We think it's to monitor amateurism or some other admirable goal.

In reality, it's just to make money. In that regard, they are likely run quite well. The fault lies in us for happening to not root for a blue blood program.

Friggin Kansas/UNC/Duke write the 'Cheatin' for Dummies' novel. Meanwhile we're scribbling a 'Cheatin' Dummies' manuscript.