NCAA denies waivers for Clayton, Ezzard; Sims granted immediate eligibility

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
What GT[/QUOTE]
I got no problem with Fields' waiver. Whether that instance actually hurt him may seem questionable to some but no one is going to tell him that it, for sure, didn't. Martell's is a head scratcher.

It’s not a head scratcher. Because they granted Fields (didn’t deserve it, but no way they weren’t going to grant it once “racism” was claimed), they weren’t going to not grant Martell’s. It’s like a ref with a make-up call.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Stop there. Right the wrong. The NCAA did. While the rest of the waivers may be debated against each other, Fields had documented proof of a wrong perpetrated against him. If he had transferred to GT you'd best believe this board would have an entirely different interpretation of this issue.

no. I will not stop right there as I never said what the NCAA did was wrong and they should not have granted the waiver. What I did say, is that if that is the basis of bad and warrants an immediate waiver approval, then by virtue of a family member dying or ill, should warrant equal speed.

don't stop peoples sentences and then put words of reason to address a point I never made. Which you are doing with the GT analogy. I NEVER said the ncaa made a bad decision for fields and they shouldn't have. Which is your point with your GT comment; acting like if he came to GT I would be fine with it. Wrong. If fields went to GT, I would still say the SAME DAMN THING, which is if he came here and got immediate waiver, then Clayton or anyone dealing with an ailing family member darn should too.

do I think the fields reason is a bit weak as it pertains to warrant immediate eligibility. Yeah. I do. Athletes unfortunately experience vile crap all the time on road games. Do kids just up and leave the conference? I get it, this was a kid at UGA; etc and fine I am ok with the NCAA giving the waiver and no one said he couldn't transfer. But my point is a dying family member is at least as weak too...

And this isn't the NCAA saying a kid can't transfer. This is about immediate eligibility. So again, what reasons warrant that. If this is the basis, vile name calling and racist remarks, then dying, cancer, child birth, warrant the same.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It seems to be that he is saying the decision to grant the waiver for him was based on a standard which should, by logic, extend to the end of life sickness / death of an immediate family member.

Not advocating that fields didn’t deserve the waiver, just saying Clayton did as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice. Glad you read my whole post and could interpret my point clearly and regurgitate it better than I

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I remember seeing a post (maybe here) where appeals sounded like a separate arbitration that could happen pretty quickly. Obviously we have a very short clock to be able to have anyone play against Clemson. What I see more than anything, though, is good legal representation being the key to success. There is a correlation with high profile guys at high profile places having good legal representation, which can at least partially account for the disparity. But that still doesn't explain why it took so long for them to evaluate our waiver requests. If the NCAA cares about equity, they should promptly handle the lower profile cases so they can prepare appeals and teams can plan better knowing what personnel is available.

Deleted member 2897

no. I will not stop right there as I never said what the NCAA did was wrong and they should not have granted the waiver. What I did say, is that if that is the basis of bad and warrants an immediate waiver approval, then by virtue of a family member dying or ill, should warrant equal speed.

don't stop peoples sentences and then put words of reason to address a point I never made. Which you are doing with the GT analogy. I NEVER said the ncaa made a bad decision for fields and they shouldn't have. Which is your point with your GT comment; acting like if he came to GT I would be fine with it. Wrong. If fields went to GT, I would still say the SAME DAMN THING, which is if he came here and got immediate waiver, then Clayton or anyone dealing with an ailing family member darn should too.

do I think the fields reason is a bit weak as it pertains to warrant immediate eligibility. Yeah. I do. Athletes unfortunately experience vile crap all the time on road games. Do kids just up and leave the conference? I get it, this was a kid at UGA; etc and fine I am ok with the NCAA giving the waiver and no one said he couldn't transfer. But my point is a dying family member is at least as weak too...

And this isn't the NCAA saying a kid can't transfer. This is about immediate eligibility. So again, what reasons warrant that. If this is the basis, vile name calling and racist remarks, then dying, cancer, child birth, warrant the same.

Exactly. NCAA apologists and anti-GT people are annoying. You could go to any football game, onto any college message boards, on social media, and anywhere else and you'll see fans berating players after games. Any given player could easily come up with any evidence they want in that regard to transfer.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly. NCAA apologists and anti-GT people are annoying. You could go to any football game, onto any college message boards, on social media, and anywhere else and you'll see fans berating players after games. Any given player could easily come up with any evidence they want in that regard to transfer.

Plus didn’t fields sister stay in school at uga too?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It seems to be that he is saying the decision to grant the waiver for him was based on a standard which should, by logic, extend to the end of life sickness / death of an immediate family member.

Not advocating that fields didn’t deserve the waiver, just saying Clayton did as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clayton didn't meet the requirement in choosing a new school within 100 miles of his house. While I would have argued the Clayton also deserves the waiver, it is within the rules for him to be denied.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Plus didn’t fields sister stay in school at uga too?
Yes, his sister is playing softball at uga. The same racist school that scared off big bro. Justin simply knew he wasn't going to beat out Fromm and moved on. He was just fortunate that a drunk redneck baseball player used racial slurs in the stands and was able to use this to his advantage.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Fields wasn't berated by a fan on a message board, but by a fellow student athlete at a game. Pretty big difference.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

The wrong wasn't done by the NCAA but by the athlete at uga. We may disagree with the severity of it in our minds, but we aren't in Fields shoes. There was a wrong done, and the NCAA righted it. The Fields situation actually meets the legal standards of harassment due to the fact that it was by a fellow student athlete. Again, I think Clayton should have gotten a waiver, and I feel like the entire process is way too complicated and functionally broken. I just don't like the Fields situation being made light of.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Fields wasn't berated by a fan on a message board, but by a fellow student athlete at a game. Pretty big difference.
And how is that worse than a dying relative? I think people are conflating two different ideas here... Some people seem to be under the assumption that he should not have gotten a transfer and are reacting to that, while other people are saying that if having some random student insult you is worthy of a transfer waiver, then wanting to be closer to a dying relative most certainly should be worthy. I could care less about Fields, but I am most certainly in the second camp...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Clayton didn't meet the requirement in choosing a new school within 100 miles of his house. While I would have argued the Clayton also deserves the waiver, it is within the rules for him to be denied.

You keep glossing over the lack of school options within that radius of his home. I get "by the book" but I believe the appeals panel can go by the spirit of the rule, rather than the letter.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
There is no school within 100 miles of his house though. So he gets punished for where he lives? A good lawyer can argue that the intent of that rule is not in play here.

Deleted member 2897

@Augusta_Jacket , instead of replying to your post, I'm going to repost mine here. If you go back and look at your entire body of work on this thread, its full of 'but' 'but 'but'...anything to defend the NCAA and nothing to defend Tech (or anybody else). Oh and also, you're wrong. Pick 1 thing, like our kicker missing kicks against Tennessee - he was berated everywhere by our own students. It was sad. You're making up invalid excuses to defend the NCAA. Sad.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The wrong wasn't done by the NCAA but by the athlete at uga. We may disagree with the severity of it in our minds, but we aren't in Fields shoes. There was a wrong done, and the NCAA righted it. The Fields situation actually meets the legal standards of harassment due to the fact that it was by a fellow student athlete. Again, I think Clayton should have gotten a waiver, and I feel like the entire process is way too complicated and functionally broken. I just don't like the Fields situation being made light of.

If there was wrong done, uga righted it by kicking THAT player out. What the ncaa did can be viewed many ways. Payback? Or to repair the political damage. But it was uga who righted it to me. Once the bad egg was gone what is fields threat? Why is his sister still there? Its all bogus. But look i get it. I am just pointing out the sick hypocrisy today where life and death is paling in reaction comparison to tweets and words now. Its unreal. Now this in no way excuses racist remarks. Not my point. I am just saying that is bad but so is someone sick

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I realize that, but I'm pretty sure he *did* play in all 13 games.

In fact, a quick check shows that he played in TWELVE games. Looks like he missed a game in October-ish after they got pounded by LSU.

So ... a guy plays in 12 games ... has significant stats in 8 of them ... and still gets to transfer with no 1 year sit-out?

[edit]
I looked up that "other guy" who transferred and had to sit out. He was a TE that went from UGA to Illinois to be closer to his grandpa who's sick. His grandpa lives 109 miles away from the Illinois campus. The NCAA has a 100-mile radius rule if you want to transfer without a penalty. So ... because he's 9 miles over the limit ... NO WAIVER FOR YOU! SIT ONE YEAR!
Wasn't there some racial incident with Fields? That'd be an automatic waiver.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Did Curley get the waiver?
GIFs201972004121.gif

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA is cutting off its own nose to spite its face. At some point, they will lose a landmark court case or legislatures in various states are going to step in. At which point, they will lose the whole thing, and have only themselves to blame.

bos

Helluva Engineer
What a bummer, especially since all 3 have burned their redshirt seasons as well. So that's 4 guys who will sit this year. Ezzard would have gotten playing time considering how good he looked already. Clayton definitely would have been with the 1s or 2s.

Sylvain Yondjouen is likely to burn his redshirt season now, but that may have always been the case. The DE position is weak.