NCAA Baseball Tournament

Both teams get 27 outs. Common, you are smarter than that.

Obviously you missed the point. Just like going on defense first in college football overtime, you have the advantage of knowing what you need to get in order to tie or win the game in the bottom of the ninth. Now, if you're just being sarcastic, touche.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I agree. The goal isn't too win the next game, it's to win the regional.

If we pitch Hurter against Indiana St and win, then lose to Vandy with Archer, what's the next move? We'll need to beat Vandy eventually. Gotta shoot our shot.
For me, there's no difference in going 0-2 or extending this thing and still losing. You either win the regional or you don't. Our best chance to do that is to start 2-0 and the best chance to do that is to pitch Hurter against Vandy. If we lose to Vandy in that game, we will have to beat the winner of Indiana State and Presbyterian in an elimination game and then come back and beat Vandy twice. That's almost impossible without a tremendous amount of pitching depth.

So go all in to beat Vandy (with Hurter) first and then you scrape together pitching to beat them one more time

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For me, there's no difference in going 0-2 or extending this thing and still losing. You either win the regional or you don't. Our best chance to do that is to start 2-0 and the best chance to do that is to pitch Hurter against Vandy. If we lose to Vandy in that game, we will have to beat the winner of Indiana State and Presbyterian in an elimination game and then come back and beat Vandy twice. That's almost impossible without a tremendous amount of pitching depth.

So go all in to beat Vandy (with Hurter) first and then you scrape together pitching to beat them one more time
Agree 100%. Plus you can always hope to get some help from another team. But you also need to take care of business against ISU. Lose that and it's a deep hole to get out of.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
If you know baseball, you know this is false. The home team frequently only uses 24 outs. When we last hosted a regional, we were the away team twice, and lost in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs…on our own ****ing field. Against a worse seed..
I played on a HS and a College team that had a better road record. It had no bearing in Little League because most of my teams were undefeated and it was mainly batting last to be considered the “home team.”
You obviously don’t know the game. The only time the home team gets 24,25,26 outs is when the game is over. It’s one, two, three strikes you’re out...and you get 27 of them!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see a "wrong" decision scenario. NOBODY is picking us to come out of this regional. Any team other than Vandy is a huge upset.
This.

Given our pitching which finished 13th in a 14 team league in ERA, and were last in the league by a WIDE margin in walks allowed, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for any fan to EXPECT us to win this Regional.

Personally, I think our best shot is to hope others screw up. A lot. Like, we hope Vandy slips up and loses their opener because the #4 seed starting pitcher throws the game of his life. Then we win Game #2 against that same #4 seed (who usually doesn't have much pitching past their #1 guy). Having to beat Vandy twice would be a tough task.

Only good news is...its baseball, and anything can happen in this sport...more so than in other sports. So, I predict we will go anywhere from 0-2 to 3-0 in this Regional, with very little idea what will really happen. But this is one year where if we fall (again) int he Regional, it likely won't be Danny Hall's fault. Unless we all decide it was.

btw, I'd start Hurter against Indiana State. They look like they could easily beat us unless we play our A game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

I played on a HS and a College team that had a better road record. It had no bearing in Little League because most of my teams were undefeated and it was mainly batting last to be considered the “home team.”
You obviously don’t know the game. The only time the home team gets 24,25,26 outs is when the game is over. It’s one, two, three strikes you’re out...and you get 27 of them!

You’re insisting the home always has to finish with 27 outs and you’re saying I’m the one who doesn’t know the game. 🤣

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Thanks for posting on Geremy G.
You’re insisting the home always has to finish with 27 outs and you’re saying I’m the one who doesn’t know the game. 🤣
Autocorrect took my “not” out of the sentence. Should have read, the game is not over if the home team needs those outs. At least I got a laugh out of you 😂!
No use taking those last three outs you are granted, if you’re ahead. I really thought you had watched the game and knew the rules. Obviously, not.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Obviously you missed the point. Just like going on defense first in college football overtime, you have the advantage of knowing what you need to get in order to tie or win the game in the bottom of the ninth. Now, if you're just being sarcastic, touche.
GT has lost 7 out of 12 home regionals. Lost games in the 5 they have won.
If you’re good, you overcome the order you bat in...whether top of an inning or the bottom. A team that can hit, pitch and field, gets fired up on the road.
I couldn’t wait to play away from Panthersville. The majority of the other parks were much nicer.

Deleted member 2897

Autocorrect took my “not” out of the sentence. Should have read, the game is not over if the home team needs those outs. At least I got a laugh out of you 😂!
No use taking those last three outs you are granted, if you’re ahead. I really thought you had watched the game and knew the rules. Obviously, not.

Such a poor poor embarrassing look dude. Give it a rest and stop with the personal attacks. Especially on something you're incorrect about.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Such a poor poor embarrassing look dude. Give it a rest and stop with the personal attacks. Especially on something you're incorrect about.
Yes, dude boss. Thank you for being Mr. Negative, we needed to replace the old one.
At least you aren’t using the * * * unforeseen words with me. Guess you are saving those for your buddies.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm good with either decision, but either way we go, it will be the wrong decision to many if we lose either of the first 2.
I think we should pitch the whole staff and keep a hot pitcher with an eye toward pitching again the next day or the day after. Force opposing batters to constantly change their pickup point.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
1 win would be good, 2 wins great, 3 wins outstanding, 3 wins and no losses amazing, 4 wins unbelievable.

Actually, we have to beat Indiana State first ........

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, we have to beat Indiana State first ........
No kidding. But our best chance to win the regional is beat ISU with our #2 pitcher and Vandy with our #1 pitcher. There's no point in beating ISU with Hurter just to get mauled by Vandy with our #2 guy. Then we have to win 3 more times likely without Hurter. Play the best odds to win the weekend. If you lose to ISU without Hurter than so be it. At least the decision to manage the entire weekend made sense

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The other guys are having a similar conversation on one of Vandy's boards, over a couple different threads. It's interesting to see another perspective, especially when they seem to think their pitching is pretty thin as well.

My favorite quote in there is that most years, Vandy's #3 is as good as the other teams #1 but not this year. Vandy is favored to win since they have the best record and consistency through the entire season. But going 5-5 after being so totally dominant before that has to shake their confidence just a little bit since a 2-2 record in the regional won't get it done.

Does everyone here agree than Vandy fans would rejoice if GT and Indiana State threw their aces against each other in our game and cleared the way for Vandy even more?

Here are Indiana State pitchers sorted by most innings in first picture and by WHIP in he second. #1 without question is Guerrero and then Fenlong / Cline. A .76 WHIP for Guerrero is sick, and comes from 97 SO to only 13 BB. After those 3, Indiana State is in trouble fighting out of the loser's bracket like we would be.

1622681545594.png

1622681742254.png