NC State Postgame

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Or, you know, I’ve got a novel idea: more GT fans actually step up (since we’re so successful and all) and buy season tickets.

And then, if you can’t attend, don’t sell or give them to opposing fans.

If you feel bad for Tech, don’t. The bottom is dropping out at UCLA. 32,000 attendance. Ouch.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I wrote it in another thread, Graham is inconsistent with his reads and accuracy and IMO that makes him questionable whether he's our long term answer at QB....BUT holy crap he has flashes where you think he can be REALLY good and dangerous QB for us. He'll have one pass where you want to throw the remote at the TV, then the next pass makes you think he's one of the better QBs in the ACC.

I also think he's getting healthier and you can see it with the way he's starting to pull away from defenders...something we got glimpses of last season. He HAS to stop fumbling the ball though. The way he carries the football makes you nervous...

It really looks like he is working to not zero in on one receiver on his drop backs, progress! The problem is, he is still a freshman, and the amount of time it takes him to look off a safety get through his reads is too long. Could have thrown some of the deep balls last night a second or a half second quicker. All these game reps will certainly help going forward though!

Cam

Helluva Engineer
After we went up 28-10 in the third quarter, I turned to my girlfriend and said, "I hope this isn't like the 28-3 Falcons vs. Patriots game..." NC State ran 80 plays last night and completely gassed our defense, which was the same amount of plays the Patriots ran against the Falcons in regulation in that Super Bowl! The big difference was that NC State wasn't able to get their 2-point conversion, while Brady did. Great win and that last drive was incredible. It isn't easy to kill 5 minutes on the clock when your opponent has 2 timeouts. I was disappointed with the fumbles, if only because Doeren said earlier this week that they haven't forced a turnover in ACC play this season. We gave them 2. Still, the building blocks for a great team are there, just have to keep progressing.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
After we went up 28-10 in the third quarter, I turned to my girlfriend and said, "I hope this isn't like the 28-3 Falcons vs. Patriots game..." NC State ran 80 plays last night and completely gassed our defense, which was the same amount of plays the Patriots ran against the Falcons in regulation in that Super Bowl! The big difference was that NC State wasn't able to get their 2-point conversion, while Brady did. Great win and that last drive was incredible. It isn't easy to kill 5 minutes on the clock when your opponent has 2 timeouts. I was disappointed with the fumbles, if only because Doeren said earlier this week that they haven't forced a turnover in ACC play this season. We gave them 2. Still, the building blocks for a great team are there, just have to keep progressing.

Yea, I thought we caught a break on the two-point conversion play when NCST called a pass play when they had been gashing us on the ground the whole 2nd half.
Although, thank heavens our corner blitz got to the QB before he could set his feet and throw to a wide-open receiver in the end zone.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I was dreading a run off right tackle that we weren't stopping at all. I was tired and sleepy and did not want to have to watch overtime. [emoji4]

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Don't blame you. I was cold but then that is why Doren gets paid the big bucks and why.... Pack fans are demanding he be fired. Who knows? Maybe the off tackle run would have been stuffed but if the opposing team is playing a couple of walk ons and what not as a head coach that is where I go in a critical moment.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
What a great game compared to the rest of the season. You can see we have a much different team than most of the other ACC teams. They were bigger stronger and faster than us. But with the improvements we have been making I am thinking we have a much better team next year.

I think our S&C needs to step it up more, I know our defense was completely wore out. We need to plan on defense playing 40-45 min next Saturday. They should be prepared for that.

I feel we got out coached in the second half. We need to do better at making those adjustments.

We need to learn to stop the run or COFH is going to be hard to watch.

But we Won! LETS GO JACKETS!!!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
For the second week in a row... 33% of our OL + DL starters are walk-ons. On the DL specifically, we started 2 walk-ons and 2 freshmen again.

That's not a recipe for consistent nor sustained success. We won this game in the first half and did just enough in the second on O to run clock.

Yikes!

Have to hope we are healthy and that the recruits / commitments hold true and can be "ATL" immediately in 2020.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Could we have accepted the blind side block on Leary and tack on 15 yards? If so, I probably would have done so... would’ve been a 30+ yard penalty.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we'd accepted the penalty, they'd of had the down over again. Better to take the 12 yard loss AND the down than a 15 yard back and play the down over.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Initial thoughts;
...-we've got to find a way to limit defensive snaps next year. I don't know how with the pieces we have. We've got no depth in the middle of the line.
-LB play continues to be problematic. It's been so bad for so long that we celebrate what should be a routine play as if it's a sign that something has finally clicked.
-we sure do give up a lot of yards along the sideline when our CBs are getting blocked. I'm hoping we get better at forcing the ball back into help in the offseason.

A comment on these two points ... a "healthy" d-line will help both of these immensely, well it should and hope it does.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Wow. Only 3 pages of comments after a W? It’s almost like some people expect Tech to lose, and others root for them to lose because they miss CPJ. Congrats to the team on the win. Probably going to finish the year with 3 Ws, what should’ve been 4, but whatever. I fully expect GT to win 6 next season. With all of the injuries and youth they played with this year, it would almost be a fluke to not win 6 next year. Yeah, I know it’s a tough schedule. But you get GW to start the year, which of Tech loses that game, I’ll be 100% out on CGC. But UCF isn’t that much more talented than GT, and without a 100% Mills, I don’t even know if they are more talented. Win those 2 games, it would definitely be possible to win 4 more with the Coastal and Syracuse on the schedule. 2021 might be a dangerous year for GT.

you posted this at 12:06 AM the day after the game ;)

some of us were still driving home! Then it was time for bed to be at work by 6AM or 7AM. ;)