NC State Postgame

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m really happy we held on, it seemed like we did just about everything to lose that game in the 2nd half. Mason is an absolute beast. Let that dude rest all the way until next Saturday.

Just a thought on the DL - Even though we are undersized on the DL, especially at DE, I think it’s more about just being under talented. If you look at some of the bodies, we are not drastically undersized, we have several interior guys at/near 300lbs, it just feels that way because we don’t have anyone who can beat their guy or get off a block. We just get stalemated on pass plays and no penetration on run plays.

We really need to get more disrupters in. I feel like if Pitt and UVA can pull in good DL recruits, we should be able to as well. This is the one position I feel we prob need to recruit more nationally if we can’t seem to get any guys from the southeast.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It’s crazy when you think about it - a few more plays and we could have won 5 games this year. But then you look at what USF, Miami, and NC State did and we weren’t far from Owen Twelve. Shew. Onward and upward!
Very true. These are the sorts of games I envision GT having for a few years. Hopefully they’ll win 4-5 of them next year, and 5-6 the year after. By 2022 if GT doesn’t beat, or play within a couple of scores of ACC opponents not named Clemson I would be concerned.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Coastal Rules, Atlantic Drools.

We freaking own the rotating opponent.

If NC State fans wanted a balanced offense, they got one 227 yards passing and 230 yards rushing pretty balanced but kicking field goals seldom wins games these days. I don't know why coaches have to over think things. When they tried for the two points why not run it? We could not stop them and our defense was exhausted. Glad their coach had to prove he was a genius. No bowl for the Pack this year.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm really happy for those kids, they have given effort all year had a great attitude all the way through.
We have to do something about some good defensive lineman, that really worries me because it does not look good at least for this year in recruiting couple really good interior defensive lineman.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
This was a game where we weren’t completely outmatched near the end of the season. It was Collins’ opportunity to show improvement with actual on the field results and we won, so major props for that. We could have easily lost, but we could have just as easily blown them out.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I respectfully disagree on Pnut First half yes he called an excellent game. But second half except for last drive he went away from Mason If Pnut had not gone away from him we would have controlled more of the TOP and our D would not have been waisted. BC showed that NCST could not stop the run. Up to the last drive Mason had only 4 carries in the second half Thank god Pnut allowed the Beast to take over

2nd half play calling was fine. We fumbled a handoff & dropped a bomb in the bread basket, or we score a few more in 2nd half. Just didn’t execute

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Couldn't agree more re: #2. 2 Victory Formation snaps were all we needed. CGC really needs to take some Football Clock Mgmt 101 courses in the offseason. His time mgmt needs work though at least we were snapping the ball with 2 secs on the game clock on our last drive.
Agree. He should spend an inordinate amount of time this off season on it. Need to be elite in clock management. It’s not really that hard 40 + 40 + 40. Simple math. The good coaches will add in bleeding a few seconds for the play itself. No reason to run a play when you don’t need to.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Interesting take. My thought was that had they kicked a field goal in the first quarter instead of going for it on fourth down they would have won the game...

I don't have any stats to back up that statement its just that college football has changed so much in the last decade or so. Offensive linemen have to practically tackle a defensive lineman before being called for holding and seemingly all the rules favor the offense. It is hard for any team other than the elite ones to hold second half leads unless they keep scoring. It used to be a couple of field goals were money in the bank with a second half lead now likely as not it will get you beat. NC State could have won that game but they could have just as easily been blown out as well if Brown doesn't drop that long pass.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Small crowd.

Good win. We tried to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but we overcame that tendency.

Refs made a few blatant no calls, including not calling an offensove PI on their last scoring drive.

Mason is special.

If the first half offense shows up next week, there is a slim chance.