NBA Thread

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
That's actually not a bad comparison. Hayward is coming off a less-than-stellar season too. Plus, the Jazz kinda drafted over him last week so he can probably be had for less than near-max.

and he got the max! Wild.

I hope this really kicks off the start of free agency.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yea I'm just not sure about Williams defending bigger guys as a 4. Jordan Hill could fill in better IMO.
He'll be fine and would be a good replacement for McRoberts IMO.
and he got the max! Wild.

I hope this really kicks off the start of free agency.
Ew. Not a fan of that for y'all. That's star or #1 option money and he's at-best a good complimentary piece. If he can fulfill the promise he had in college it should work out, but he hasn't shown an inkling of that yet.

As is, he'll solidify the Hornets as a fixture in the playoffs which is a step in the right direction but he'll tie up so much money you may not be able to build on that. That's exactly what the Hawks did in the JoeJohn-era.

Utah says they'll match whatever so maybe they'll save y'all.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think he's making $5MM/year playing a sport he loves. Seems like an OK trade-off.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think he's making $5MM/year playing a sport he loves. Seems like an OK trade-off.
Yea the funny thing is a lot of players are journeymen because nobody wants them but they are good enough to stay in the league. With Jack it seems that every time a trade is made, the other team targets receiving Jack for a solid backup PG

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
tumblr_n8gyfmuDDV1r0jlbgo1_500.jpg

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Rumors have him going back to Cleveland but I don't see it. Kind of like going back to an ex girlfriend.

I fell for that too. All the 'Cavs are after Mike Miller' or Cavs reach out to Ray Allen' stuff had me thinking, "You know what, he's going back." As I thought about it I wondered if this is more poor Cavs management or an indicator that James is leaving. I decided it's the former. Cavs have been characterized by poor FO management under Gilbert. So he once again is setting his fanbase up for a letdown. Too bad for them, if true.

One thing I heard (on one of the thousand Sportscenter pieces on this) was from Stephen A Smith who said the original big 3 was supposed to be Melo, Wade and James and that Bosh was only added later. This may be old hat to some, but I'd never heard that. He said, at the time, Melo refused to leave money on the table in Denver which would've made him a FA in 2010 like the others. That left him out.

I've been of the opinion that James' delay is a game of chicken to get Bosh to leave. They can't just tell Bosh that because he's one of the few that knows details that could be considered collusion (JMHO). James refusing to commit to Riley yesterday only strengthens my feeling that this is the case. Why would he go back to CLE to a shaky FO, owner who shamed him, an inexperienced roster but heightened expectations. Makes no sense.

So ends my dissertation :D.

TL;DR Version: James wants Bosh out for Melo but isn't man enough to say it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I fell for that too. All the 'Cavs are after Mike Miller' or Cavs reach out to Ray Allen' stuff had me thinking, "You know what, he's going back." As I thought about it I wondered if this is more poor Cavs management or an indicator that James is leaving. I decided it's the former. Cavs have been characterized by poor FO management under Gilbert. So he once again is setting his fanbase up for a letdown. Too bad for them, if true.

One thing I heard (on one of the thousand Sportscenter pieces on this) was from Stephen A Smith who said the original big 3 was supposed to be Melo, Wade and James and that Bosh was only added later. This may be old hat to some, but I'd never heard that. He said, at the time, Melo refused to leave money on the table in Denver which would've made him a FA in 2010 like the others. That left him out.

I've been of the opinion that James' delay is a game of chicken to get Bosh to leave. They can't just tell Bosh that because he's one of the few that knows details that could be considered collusion (JMHO). James refusing to commit to Riley yesterday only strengthens my feeling that this is the case. Why would he go back to CLE to a shaky FO, owner who shamed him, an inexperienced roster but heightened expectations. Makes no sense.

So ends my dissertation :D.

TL;DR Version: James wants Bosh out for Melo but isn't man enough to say it.
I kind of think it’s the opposite. Melo wants basically everyone out of New York so they can bring in James (which I don’t see happening) and is just holding off until James decides. I don’t see Melo leaving New York at all.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I kind of think it’s the opposite. Melo wants basically everyone out of New York so they can bring in James (which I don’t see happening) and is just holding off until James decides. I don’t see Melo leaving New York at all.

I hear you. I like my crazy theory better though simply due to the fact that Miami actually has the space to make it happen. NY won't until next year. So our resident Knick, @dtm1997, will have to wait one more year for Phil to put together their superteam of Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum. :sneaky: