NBA Thread

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I have noticed we have a few NBA fans on the board so I started a threat to discuss it.

How about this from Kidd?

Josh Joseph

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure what his qualifications are. He did ok in Brooklyn but wanting doc, pop, or Phil roles is a little ambitious I would think.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was watching the tweets roll in late last night about it and was laughing my rear off.

The Nets finally have someone to build an identity around and both sides will now screw it up.

Makes this long suffering die-hard Knicks fan smile.

To Kidd's credit, he can't really do a much worse job than Billy King, who drove the Sixers in to the ground and then orchestrated the precarious win-now roster the Nets are now sitting on.

Here's my favorite tweet about it so far.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Seems crazy to me...But the Bucks have some pieces. Parker is a good player.

I really hope to see the Hornets get someone decent in free agency...I would love Chandler Parsons but I think we are on the outside looking in with that one. We need shooters.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seems crazy to me...But the Bucks have some pieces. Parker is a good player.

I really hope to see the Hornets get someone decent in free agency...I would love Chandler Parsons but I think we are on the outside looking in with that one. We need shooters.

I kinda think Charlotte's going to over-pay for Lance Stephenson which might be a better fit than Parsons. First, I hate Stephenson. I think he's immature and has a sense of entitlement that will stunt his career. That said, he has enough talent to still contribute and if he puts it all together (or gets close) he has the tools to be a very good player. He's superior to Parsons on both ends of the court IMO. I don't want him on the Hawks because I think he doesn't fit the system. But I think he'd do well for the Hornets (proud of myself for not saying Bobcats).

On Kidd, like I think I said in the other thread, he's probably had discussions with his former financial adviser/friend who's a new owner of the Bucks and thought he could walk into their front office. Just needed to get the Nets to fire him so he could still get his money (JMHO). Reports now are saying if he went to the Bucks it'd only be for their head coaching spot. IOW, Kidd overplayed his hand badly. The Bucks roster is younger and shows room for growth, but the Nets have an owner willing to pay the tax to bring in stars. It's possible that team could/would rebuild faster. It's also possible they could Knick-out and have a cap-strapped team that's going nowhere. We'll see.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Sadly I also see us overpaying for Stephenson. He makes us better but I don't like him.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Lance Stephenson may not fit the Hawks' system but he is exactly what they need. Someone who can create his own shot and finish the game on both ends of the court. Maybe Coach Bud system will reign in some of his recklessness.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lance Stephenson may not fit the Hawks' system but he is exactly what they need. Someone who can create his own shot and finish the game on both ends of the court. Maybe Coach Bud system will reign in some of his recklessness.

I think he fits on paper but I also see him as a major ball-stopper which runs counter to what Budz seems to be preaching. Also, Budz is 1-year into his coaching tenure. Although I like him, he's still an unproven commodity (as a head man). I don't see where he'd guarantee to be more effective than Indiana's staff/veterans were at reigning Lance in. Stephenson supposedly highly respected Bird and that did nothing to calm him down.

On a side note, what did you think of the Lou trade? I don't mind it so much. I don't think Bebe was going to amount to much. However, I don't get excited by Ferry creating capspace. It means nothing if no one will take it or if you end up having to overpay for a guy like Deng (which is what I think he wants to do).

Ugh, saw this after I posted:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think he fits on paper but I also see him as a major ball-stopper which runs counter to what Budz seems to be preaching. Also, Budz is 1-year into his coaching tenure. Although I like him, he's still an unproven commodity (as a head man). I don't see where he'd guarantee to be more effective than Indiana's staff/veterans were at reigning Lance in. Stephenson supposedly highly respected Bird and that did nothing to calm him down.

On a side note, what did you think of the Lou trade? I don't mind it so much. I don't think Bebe was going to amount to much. However, I don't get excited by Ferry creating capspace. It means nothing if no one will take it or if you end up having to overpay for a guy like Deng (which is what I think he wants to do).

Woj later tweeted that the market for Deng would be $10MM - $15MM. Hawks can probably sign a couple of quality pieces. Doubt they're giving Deng $15MM.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
FOH if they give Deng more than $8-9MM & am extremely disappointed that they traded our 1st round pic for effin Deng. He is not worth all that. I wouldn't mind Parsons & a big like Hawes now that would make sense.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

I think Stephenson's teammates had more to do with his antics than anything. I don't care for Stephenson either but I think his game gives consideration to be a mid-level salary guy

As for the Lou trade, I was never really fan of his so I don't mind it. I will laugh at the Hawks if giving Deng anything over 10+ mil cross their mind. I spread that money out for guys like Parsons, Greg Monroe and/ or Stephenson

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd be willing to bet the market for Greg Monroe starts at $10MM. Probably higher.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In a blatant attempt that I know will fail to keep this out of the hoops forum...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Woj later tweeted that the market for Deng would be $10MM - $15MM. Hawks can probably sign a couple of quality pieces. Doubt they're giving Deng $15MM.

My objection, like @ATL1, is at them considering Deng at all. He's a broken down 29 who's shooting has been impacted by a wrist injury he refuses to get fixed. No thanks, even on a reasonable deal.

Also, I thought we all agreed to disavow all knowledge/connection to Crittendon? Maybe that was all in my head.
I think Stephenson's teammates had more to do with his antics than anything. I don't care for Stephenson either but I think his game gives consideration to be a mid-level salary guy

As for the Lou trade, I was never really fan of his so I don't mind it. I will laugh at the Hawks if giving Deng anything over 10+ mil cross their mind. I spread that money out for guys like Parsons, Greg Monroe and/ or Stephenson

Gotta disagree that his teammates drove his antics. He's been a knucklehead since HS.

Agreed on Deng. Monroe will likely get $12+ mil/year. I only like him here if we trade Horford. If we're not shooting for the stars, give me Parsons (on a reasonable deal). I'd actually be ok with Ariza or a reclamation project on the wing. But, then again, that'd make our choice of Payne ever more curious given our need on the wing.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wasn't aware we disavowed Critt.

FWIW, this needs to be the poster story for every HS athlete to not squander opportunity. As I'm reading through it, it's really a shame.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wasn't aware we disavowed Critt.

FWIW, this needs to be the poster story for every HS athlete to not squander opportunity. As I'm reading through it, it's really a shame.

I was messing with you. As far as I'm concerned he's no longer a Jacket.

Agree his story should be yet another cautionary tale.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If only the link would work for me at work, but BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Would love to know if seirous or if they're just trying to troll Utah if this comes to pass.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Don’t get the Kidd situation at all. Bucks are years away from being good and the Russians have more money than they know what to do with.

And I sure hope the Hornets don’t get the second coming of Gerald Wallace. We’ve tried that once. We’ve got a great foundation and if we can’t resign McRoberts I hope we can land a perhaps Channing Frye. Wouldn’t mind grabbing Paul Pierce to a 3 year contract as well. I know he’s old but a solid veteran who can still score would be great while PJ Hairston develops.