Nate Woody . . .

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a question guys. I see a lot of comments about CGC being a defensive guy and I’m just wondering if anyone has noticed that Temple was ranked 90th against the run ? That’s almost 40 spots worse than we were. I’m I missing something ?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Just a question guys. I see a lot of comments about CGC being a defensive guy and I’m just wondering if anyone has noticed that Temple was ranked 90th against the run ? That’s almost 40 spots worse than we were. I’m I missing something ?
Was it a total stat? Their SP+ is 24th and their FEI is 25th. No I am not concerned.

Our defense total stats are affected by opponent teams only averaging 10 drives per game against us while Temple had 13.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Idk how they figure those number, but if my math is right, they were better than or equal to 40 teams ahead of them in rushing yards per play and better than us in that aspect. They also gave up less or the same amount of rushing TD’s of 33 teams ahead of them which they were better than us in. I think they go by yards per game which they gave up 190.3, however they were ran on over 559 times compared to GT’s 399. Only 8 teams had more run plays ran on them. Their FEI ranking was 25th which shows how efficient they were on defense, they were 28th in total D.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Our D was pretty bad all year long. I don't know why we are surprised at how bad it was during the bowl game...
Can't argue too much, except to note that the Minnesota offense had something to do with it. I don't recall a single Swarm poster making any mention of that prior to the game, and when you have a feature back offense in which your featured back is a load, then you are to be reckoned with. I don't remember anybody, including me, even noticing.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Comparing stats, like comparing scores, is useless.

2 different teams.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Can't argue too much, except to note that the Minnesota offense had something to do with it. I don't recall a single Swarm poster making any mention of that prior to the game, and when you have a feature back offense in which your featured back is a load, then you are to be reckoned with. I don't remember anybody, including me, even noticing.

I didn't make a prediction before the game, mainly because I felt that we would only win in a shootout, and wasn't very confident in winning at all. I have had very little confidence in our D all year long, and I know that @Supersizethatorder-mutt, as well as several others on this site, can verify I've voiced my concerns in private about how bad our defense was this year.

I didn't make a prediction before the game, mainly because I felt that we would only win in a shootout, and wasn't very confident in winning at all. I have had very little confidence in our D all year long, and I know that @Supersizethatorder-mutt, as well as several others on this site, can verify I've voiced my concerns in private about how bad our defense was this year.
That is correct, and I THOUGHT that the defense was showing enough improvement in energy and enthusiasm to at least indicate positive movement overall. Wednesday proved me wrong.

Animal02

Banned
That is correct, and I THOUGHT that the defense was showing enough improvement in energy and enthusiasm to at least indicate positive movement overall. Wednesday proved me wrong.
D kept us in the game for a while, was given short fields and held them to field goals a couple of times. O simply crapped the bed at left the D on the field too often with 3 and outs.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
D kept us in the game for a while, was given short fields and held them to field goals a couple of times. O simply crapped the bed at left the D on the field too often with 3 and outs.
There is something about beating a dead horse since the whole coaching staff is gone. But I've never figured out why we are willing, mostly, to give a head coach a couple of years to put something together, we argue that coordinators better get it done now. I am not a technician about the sport and can't argue from that angle, but I thought Woody was a good coach. His defensive personnel, though, managed to look slow against a Big 10 team. That's hard. I hope the new guy can recruit attitude with speed for defense.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Nate Woody, Shiel Wood, John Sisk hired at Georgia State
Three members of former Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson’s staff will not have to go far for their next job.

Former Tech strength and conditioning coach John Sisk has been hired at Georgia State and former defensive coordinator Nate Woody and Shiel Wood are expected to join him and head coach Shawn Elliott.
Woody will coach inside linebackers and Wood will coach cornerbacks. Woody is replacing Rusty Wright, who left Georgia State to become the head coach at Tennessee-Chattanooga, and Wood is replacing Blake Gideon, who left to take a job as safeties coach and special teams coordinator at Houston.

Sisk replaces strength coach Scott Holsopple, who is no longer on Georgia State’s staff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Quite the step down. At least they don't have to move.

Oof...man, the rippling effects of one decision.

If Nate Woody stays at App State, he's most like the DC at Louisville or possibly even the HC at App State. He took a chance on GT and CPJ, CPJ retires, and Woody now finds himself at GA State as a position coach. Luckily he signed a 2 year contract so financially he's not really taking a step backward as GT is still paying him for next year.

Being a coach is rewarding, but man it's a roller coaster ride.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Mike Huff was named the new DFO at Kansas today. Not a bad move for him as I bet he’ll be paid similarly, gets to work under Miles, and is closer to Tulsa (where he’s from).

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Oof...man, the rippling effects of one decision.

If Nate Woody stays at App State, he's most like the DC at Louisville or possibly even the HC at App State. He took a chance on GT and CPJ, CPJ retires, and Woody now finds himself at GA State as a position coach. Luckily he signed a 2 year contract so financially he's not really taking a step backward as GT is still paying him for next year.

Being a coach is rewarding, but man it's a roller coaster ride.

I assume GT will pay him the difference between what he made here and what he makes at GS.