My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My current view since some insiders won't just shoot @YlJacket straight on expected attrition.

This is how I think it will shake out, but roster management is fluid.

Departing via eligibility or transfer:
Kyle
Ty
Amaree (intentions announced)
Deebo
Ebe

Could go either way (in order of departure likelihood):
Sacko
Tafara
Miles
Souare
Lance

Expected to stay (who knows with tampering though):
Baye
Nait
Wacie

Incoming:
Jaeden
Darrion
Cole
Doryan

Besides that, I think we'll see at least 1 from the either way category go, allowing us to have room for a rim protector and either Pippen or a playmaking guard. Net net - I think we'll see at least 6 out, 6 in.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My current view since some insiders won't just shoot @YlJacket straight on expected attrition.

Kyle
Ty
Deebo
Ebe

Sacko
Tafara
Miles
Souare
Lance

Baye
Nait
Wacie

Incoming:
Jaeden
Darrion
Cole
Doryan

Besides that, I think we'll see at least 1 from the either way category go, allowing us to have room for a rim protector and either Pippen or a playmaking guard. Net net - I think we'll see at least 6 out, 6 in.
Based on his dad's post on X it certainly looks like Gapare is leaving.

I agree about Sacko.

As I have said before, Deebo is a mystery. He has one year of eligibility and he's not going to be a pro. Is playing more important than finishing his degree? Someone suggested he might graduate this summer. If so, go for it.

To some extent, this also applies to Miles. Last year this time I felt he might get drafted. Now it doesn't look like he could even get a G league deal. Why leave all those credits on the table when the program is about to turn the corner?

My view is that Lance and Souare are not likely to leave.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Kyle
Ty
Deebo
Ebe

Sacko
Tafara
Miles
Souare
Lance

Baye
Nait
Wacie

Incoming:
Jaeden
Darrion
Cole
Doryan

Interesting thoughts. Please use last names.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I agree about Sacko.

As I have said before, Deebo is a mystery. He has one year of eligibility and he's not going to be a pro. Is playing more important than finishing his degree? Someone suggested he might graduate this summer. If so, go for it.

To some extent, this also applies to Miles. Last year this time I felt he might get drafted. Now it doesn't look like he could even get a G league deal. Why leave all those credits on the table when the program is about to turn the corner?

To me Gapare is a big key to roster management next year as I believe the 4 spot is a key to how this offensive set operates. Have to have someone who keeps the floor spread from the corner.

Obviously if Gapare is leaving that hurts and leaves a hole in the roster. I am also projecting improvement in his shooting from the corner and ability to drive closeouts. I had him penciled in on my roster card to hold down that spot. Have not seen the posts by his dad but kind of surprised he would leave given the path to playing time here.

If he leaves that starts to move pieces around. Do you move Ndongo there? He has to improve his shooting and we also have to find a replacement for the way he handles the roll - especially the short roll where he is excellent. Sutton has the height to arguably be a stretch 4 but everything I have heard is he is a wing and not a banger.

My guess would be we go for a fully formed stretch 4 in the portal but that depends on all the moves. I will say 6 in and 6 out was more than I was expecting but it is a new world for sure.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To me Gapare is a big key to roster management next year as I believe the 4 spot is a key to how this offensive set operates. Have to have someone who keeps the floor spread from the corner.

Obviously if Gapare is leaving that hurts and leaves a hole in the roster. I am also projecting improvement in his shooting from the corner and ability to drive closeouts. I had him penciled in on my roster card to hold down that spot. Have not seen the posts by his dad but kind of surprised he would leave given the path to playing time here.

If he leaves that starts to move pieces around. Do you move Ndongo there? He has to improve his shooting and we also have to find a replacement for the way he handles the roll - especially the short roll where he is excellent. Sutton has the height to arguably be a stretch 4 but everything I have heard is he is a wing and not a banger.

My guess would be we go for a fully formed stretch 4 in the portal but that depends on all the moves. I will say 6 in and 6 out was more than I was expecting but it is a new world for sure.
I wonder if we're putting feelers out for potential replacements for Tafara.

Last edited:

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow

My hope is for a big 5. One with some weight and one with at least a couple years Div 1 experience.
We have not had a big in quite a while and I believe to compete in the ACC and further, we need one.
Unless, however, we can run like racehorses without turnovers and
consistent three pointers made.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This team was just one or two ACC caliber players from being a really competitive team. With NIL and the transfer portal, it makes team building really difficult for teams like us. Coaches must be totally frustrated that are trying to build programs.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

I agree about Sacko.

Gapare is from New Zealand, so no one can offer him NIL to switch schools. So, if he leaves, he either hates Tech or hates playing for CDS.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
If Gapare is looking around again then that tells us all we need to know. The program desperately needs players who are going to buy-in. While Gapare has upside, he is still a 6ppg project. That kind of production should not come with a NIL price tag. He is good in transition but pretty much every other part of his game is a work in progress. If he doesn't have full faith in the staff and program, the chances of him reaching his potential at GT is poor.

We need a roster of players who are happy and thankful to be here.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We need a roster of players who are happy and thankful to be here.
Happy/thankful and paid are not mutually exclusive. They literally cannot be in today's college basketball environment.

I don't have the inside scoop on Tafara, but his situation certainly seems tied to realizing his full potential and if he thinks/wants he can do it at GT. If yes, the money will come along as he achieves his full potential.

I think it's a question of having the physical & mental desire & toughness to follow CDS' plans to position Tafara for the next level. Not seeking a bigger pay day right now.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Happy/thankful and paid are not mutually exclusive. They literally cannot be in today's college basketball environment.

I don't have the inside scoop on Tafara, but his situation certainly seems tied to realizing his full potential and if he thinks/wants he can do it at GT. If yes, the money will come along as he achieves his full potential.

I think it's a question of having the physical & mental desire & toughness to follow CDS' plans to position Tafara for the next level. Not seeking a bigger pay day right now.
Hampton U, Jerry Deng, 6’9”, out of Norcross, looks like he has already elevated his game to where CDS would like TG to be. Big conference exposure might be more important to him than NIL$. And 3 years of eligibility left. He must have a great work ethic to be rated so high now, compared to where he was in HS. I can see why he is attractive to CDS.