My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's what I heard about Nait George last November. 🤞
I hope Darrion gets a lot of work in this summer, but he needs a lot of development.

He's got some skills that are absolutely high end though. Solid handle, especially on the penetration into the paint, highly adept passer in traffic, really sweet little floater that's augmented by his height and length.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope Darrion gets a lot of work in this summer, but he needs a lot of development.

He's got some skills that are absolutely high end though. Solid handle, especially on the penetration into the paint, highly adept passer in traffic, really sweet little floater that's augmented by his height and length.
His FG % is 57% & averages 8.2 rebounds per game, good for 5th in OTE. Needs to improve foul shooting %. Not many 3 point attempts to really judge (5 all season), scores closer in and doesn’t look for that shot. Listed at 6’8”, but OTE announcers say 6’9”. First Big in off bench is my prediction, like Claude but taller with lots more skill, only lot less experience. Can watch him v Jaeden Mustaph tonite at 7pm on Prime. Also see what GT will have to defend against at PG next year if Daquan Davis ends up at FSU. Karter Knox (w Sutton & Davis) & Bryson Tiller (with Mustaph) also in tonight’s game. Best of 5 series tied 1-1.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
His FG % is 57% & averages 8.2 rebounds per game, good for 5th in OTE. Needs to improve foul shooting %. Not many 3 point attempts to really judge (5 all season), scores closer in and doesn’t look for that shot. Listed at 6’8”, but OTE announcers say 6’9”. First Big in off bench is my prediction, like Claude but taller with lots more skill, only lot less experience. Can watch him v Jaeden Mustaph tonite at 7pm on Prime. Also see what GT will have to defend against at PG next year if Daquan Davis ends up at FSU. Karter Knox (w Sutton & Davis) & Bryson Tiller (with Mustaph) also in tonight’s game. Best of 5 series tied 1-1.
Yeezus. Are they pitching shutouts on the glass?

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeezus. Are they pitching shutouts on the glass?
1710418852751.png

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Darrion isn't a big and his frame doesn't look like he'll be a big.

His coach compared him to Jalen Rose. We've compared him to Anthony McHenry.

I've watched most OTE games featuring Darrion since he committed, so I've watched him & Jaeden plenty.

Jaeden looks ready to play minutes next year. Darrion needs development, but will play. I think he primarily backs up Wacie at the 3/4.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One can say that’s the whole secret to basketball right there.
I don't post here bc I don't watch basketball (GT or other) anymore. But i was at the beach on spring break. Rainy evening and I was channel surfing and found a GT game on. I don't recall the opponent but it was in the last 5 or 6 days. We turned the ball over on maybe 3 of our first 5 possessions. I switched channels. In BB, being able to possess the ball and move it in such a fashion in a way to get quality shots is equally important, if not more so. If you are getting shots off on only 40% of your possessions a high shooting % is moot.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow

I've watched most OTE games featuring Darrion since he committed, so I've watched him & Jaeden plenty.

Jaeden looks ready to play minutes next year. Darrion needs development, but will play. I think he primarily backs up Wacie at the 3/4.
Concede your point about “big”. I’ve watched a few, not plenty, of his games, and just think he will be more of a rebounder than either Rose or McHenry. No idea on shooting ability from deep.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's what I heard about Nait George last November. 🤞
All due respect, no you weren't...There was no cautionary optimism. Most people were wondering how he ended up on the roster.

At the beginning of the season, everyone (myself included) felt like Abrams was going to be the guy....Virtually no one expected Nait to see much PT, much less become one of the best PG in the league.

His development is a primary reason we should be excited about the future. Not only does it indicate that Damon knows good when he sees it, it shows that he is also capable of developing his players.

Last edited:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

dtm is 100% on the money here. PSA to everyone....Please do not think that any of our freshmen are going to come in and be game changers or make an immediate impact.

Jaeden is by far the most physically ready, his size and strength will keep him in the rotation, but Darrion must live in the cafeteria and weight room before he is ready for prime time.

Yes, he will get minutes, and he will show us flashed of us potential, but he's not going to make the impact that Baye has this year.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm going to continue my current trend of dissent and ya'll can hold me to it. But isn't dissent more interesting to read?

Sutton will impact right away because he brings what Stoudamire needs. His length and quickness is what we need on the defensive end. Remember that GT couldn't stop anyone last season and the quickest way to get the team to start winning is to be better on defense. Sutton doesn't need skill or development for his length to impact in the gaps. His differentiating characteristic is court awareness and that plays on the defensive end and on the boards. Reeves has not been an impact defender either at GT or UF (not sure why). As a rising Senior, I think that is what it is.

On offense, Sutton can pass and guys with court awareness can move the defense. If he can hit an open shot from the corner, he fits right in.

Sutton doesn't fill the need for a big body in the post but he will never be that. Sutton in one of those versatile "4-out" forwards. We will need other guys to be determined to fill the "Big body" role.

George was a "Huh? Who?" recruit. The limited tape on him showed a pesky defender, pass-first guard with not much of a show in offensive skills. His first season in college showed way more than his scant high school footage.

I don't think Sutton, as a top 100 player, is a good comparison to George. Sutton brings much more tape and reputation to the table. But George and Sutton do share the characteristic of good court awareness.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to continue my current trend of dissent and ya'll can hold me to it. But isn't dissent more interesting to read?

Sutton will impact right away because he brings what Stoudamire needs. His length and quickness is what we need on the defensive end. Remember that GT couldn't stop anyone last season and the quickest way to get the team to start winning is to be better on defense. Sutton doesn't need skill or development for his length to impact in the gaps. His differentiating characteristic is court awareness and that plays on the defensive end and on the boards. Reeves has not been an impact defender either at GT or UF (not sure why). As a rising Senior, I think that is what it is.

On offense, Sutton can pass and guys with court awareness can move the defense. If he can hit an open shot from the corner, he fits right in.

Sutton doesn't fill the need for a big body in the post but he will never be that. Sutton in one of those versatile "4-out" forwards. We will need other guys to be determined to fill the "Big body" role.

George was a "Huh? Who?" recruit. The limited tape on him showed a pesky defender, pass-first guard with not much of a show in offensive skills. His first season in college showed way more than his scant high school footage.

I don't think Sutton, as a top 100 player, is a good comparison to George. Sutton brings much more tape and reputation to the table. But George and Sutton do share the characteristic of good court awareness.
Does Sutton have an outside shot? Not seeing his tape I have no idea what his game is like. How does he compare to Gapare when playing a 4 in the CDS offense as an “out” player. If Sutton more Reeves like, Gapare like or not like either?

Interesting topic.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Hmmm on comparisons. Based of snippets of video, he's a smaller, quicker Ben Lammers. That should ruffle some feathers. What will a coach do with that?

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Moore got told that his minutes would depend on the matchup. I would say that’s “you aren’t a clear cut everyday starter, but my bench runs deep”, not “get lost”. Many players would take that as a challenge to up their game. I think it’s preferable to be straight with an athlete vs over promising until the portal is closed.
If he wasn’t comfortable being told that his current game depends on the opponent, it’s better that he transfers vs getting disgruntled when he does only get 5 minutes in a game.
Moore had a very good year and I’m happy for him

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Could it be that Jalon Moore left because his desired position was the same as Miles Kelly?
That doesn’t seem like they played the same position. Maybe Reeves position or Maude CDS didn’t see a true position.

Glad it worked out for Morre

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
All due respect, no you weren't...There was no cautionary optimism. Most people were wondering how he ended up on the roster.

At the beginning of the season, everyone (myself included) felt like Abrams was going to be the guy....Virtually no one expected Nait to see much PT, much less become one of the best PG in the league.

His development is a primary reason we should be excited about the future. Not only does it indicate that Damon knows good when he sees it, it shows that he is also capable of developing his players.
I’m not sure why you think you know what I heard in November.

I heard from people I know in the program that he had a ton of potential but was probably going to RS because he needed a year or so of exposure to this level of competition. CDS was sky high on the kid. That’s almost exactly the post I responded to. Don’t be that guy.

Last edited: