My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't understand why the players that plan to leave aren't already in the portal.

Are they still discussing their plans with their families? Are they waiting to see what their teammates do? Are they waiting for the poachers to make their offers? It's complicated for the foreign players.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
I really don't understand why the players that plan to leave aren't already in the portal.

Are they still discussing their plans with their families? Are they waiting to see what their teammates do? Are they waiting for the poachers to make their offers? It's complicated for the foreign players.
There are 100+ Division 1 teams still playing in various post-season tourneys. Most of them top ranked. They be watchin’ the portal, but not shopping or losing players yet.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I worked in a very large corporation. Aside from layoffs we always had exit interviews to understand why our good employees were leaving. I would hope our coaches are doing something similar. These kids are under a lot of pressure in the classroom, the ACC competition, the desire for more playing time and personal issues. We need to understand why they choose to leave.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I worked in a very large corporation. Aside from layoffs we always had exit interviews to understand why our good employees were leaving. I would hope our coaches are doing something similar. These kids are under a lot of pressure in the classroom, the ACC competition, the desire for more playing time and personal issues. We need to understand why they choose to leave.
I bet our coaches know… and in most cases I bet they know before the kid knows. If the coaches are surprised by any decision, 99% sure the reason is $$$

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Quick update for Ebe and the firm statement of Lance being back via Jon Rothstein.

Currently 4 known departures with one expected, but unannounced. 4 known incoming. Expectations of seeking at least a portal big and a playmaking guard via portal or HS.

Hunch is that we'll ultimately see at least 6 incoming, maybe 7.

Departing via eligibility or transfer:
Sturdivant
Claude
Abram (intentions announced)
Dowouna (intentions announced)
Coleman

Could go either way (in order of departure likelihood):
Sacko
Gapare
Kelly
Souare

Expected to stay (who knows with tampering though):
Ndongo
George
Reeves
Terry

Incoming:
Mustaf
Sutton
Kirouac (expected to redshirt)
Onwuchekwa

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Quick update for Ebe and the firm statement of Lance being back via Jon Rothstein.

Currently 4 known departures with one expected, but unannounced. 4 known incoming. Expectations of seeking at least a portal big and a playmaking guard via portal or HS.

Sturdivant
Claude
Coleman

Sacko
Gapare
Kelly
Souare

Ndongo
George
Reeves
Terry

Incoming:
Mustaf
Sutton
Onwuchekwa
This is helpful.

Curious about Kelly, though. He’s been pumping the program on social media I thought.

I don’t follow closely so maybe I’ve missed something.

Losing Gapare would be disappointing. He appears to have a high ceiling at this point than some others we are losing.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is helpful.

Curious about Kelly, though. He’s been pumping the program on social media I thought.

I don’t follow closely so maybe I’ve missed something.

Losing Gapare would be disappointing. He appears to have a high ceiling at this point than some others we are losing.
Doesn't mean we will lose those guys. Just that there's a non-zero chance we do.

We saw Tafara's dad asking about the portal on Twitter.

Someone might get in Miles' ear about a big bag elsewhere.

Could those types of things happen? Yes. Could they easily not happen? Yes.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Sturdivant
Claude
Coleman

Sacko
Gapare
Kelly
Souare

Ndongo
George
Reeves
Terry

Incoming:
Mustaf
Sutton
Onwuchekwa
This all make sense to me.
As you stated, we have to wait until everything sort of shakes out. Does someone offer a big bag to someone we can't match.

Sacko and Suare are from the same country - same town. Almost feel like both would stay or both would go.

I'm expecting we ultimately bring in 2 more as you suggested.

Terry could be a very helpful piece next season. He's very seasoned, has already proven he is a quality ACC level starter, ACC level shooter. Also a solid ballhandler.
I went back and looked at his number from the previous year. He played in 18 ACC games and he scored in double figures 8 times (6 of those were 17 or more) and also scored 9 on 4 other occasions and 8 once.

I don't see Kelly being drafted this season so I think either he comes back or gets a big bag from someone to play 1 year.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

Sturdivant
Claude
Coleman

Sacko
Gapare
Kelly
Souare

Ndongo
George
Reeves
Terry

Incoming:
Mustaf
Sutton
Onwuchekwa
Did I miss an announcement by Coleman? I had not seen him say he was leaving anywhere, or is it speculation on your part? Just curious.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did I miss an announcement by Coleman? I had not seen him say he was leaving anywhere, or is it speculation on your part? Just curious.
It's something of an expectation, given how the season played out, the direction we're going, and the players we're bringing in.

YellowJacketsFan24

Georgia Tech Fan
How does georgia tech manage all the players coming in with the ones already on the team? Someone is going to have to sit and sacrifice their pt, especially if Pippin and McCullum commit. Wonder what the potential starting 5 would look like.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
How does georgia tech manage all the players coming in with the ones already on the team? Someone is going to have to sit and sacrifice their pt, especially if Pippin and McCullum commit. Wonder what the potential starting 5 would look like.

Smellin like some spots may still open. Best to stay tuned til the end of the show. Jmho