My thoughts! YOU NEED TO READ!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
there is a reason for decades, and all these coaches, some smart some not, NO ONE IN THERE RIGHT MIND, has ever shuttled qb's consistently like this. period. Its the dumbest thing ever, and if it worked, or could work people would be doing it. They don't. There is a reason for that. We are not going to reinvent the position.
Changing the Qb's as much as they do is CRAZY!!!!!! If a QB after a couple of series were not QUITE working right then QB; if not being subed so much, could probably realize a problem and do some of his own leadership!

Animal02

Banned
there is a reason for decades, and all these coaches, some smart some not, NO ONE IN THERE RIGHT MIND, has ever shuttled qb's consistently like this. period. Its the dumbest thing ever, and if it worked, or could work people would be doing it. They don't. There is a reason for that. We are not going to reinvent the position.
There is also a reason that teams don't haveplayets go both ways anymore as well.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Just read where cgc is going to keep subbing QB's!! Some coach or coaches needs to be GONE!!!!!!

I don't get that. I'd like anyone to point out an example of where this asinine system of QB Switching has worked. I'm not talking a situational Wildcat switch or pulling a Saban and coming out in the 2nd half with a new guy.

If we don't know who's our starting QB at this point, that's an absolute negative indictment on the OC and HC. If they think the QB Switch is a great thing to use, that's also a negative indictment on the same 2.

It's nonsensical at this point.

SpanishMossGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I mean anyone who believed that there was hype that wewould be good this year was delusional. The hype is for the future, for recruiting. This year, and next year were always going to suck for whoever the coachwas who followed CPJ at GT.
I think the hype convinced some the first few years would be more tolerable; however, now we know it is as expected or even more severe. The challenge now for this coaching staff will be maintaining the incoming recruiting class.

Animal02

Banned
I think the hype convinced some the first few years would be more tolerable; however, now we know it is as expected or even more severe. The challenge now for this coaching staff will be maintaining the incoming recruiting class.
The hype convinced many that CGC knew what he was doing. Yesterday exposed that flawed thinking that many others were suspect of.

That’s just not true at all. We have better and more reasons to attend than just about anyone.
I understand what you are saying but I am just taking the 50 years of my history with Tech and Tech football. Example, we have never put a QB that played into the NFL in my lifetime. We have always succeeded with Running QBs who could throw some nice passes.
Dewberry
Shawn Jones
Joe Hamilton
Godsey....maybe the exception
Reggie Ball
Nesbitt
Washington
JT5

The one are though I will admit that always beffudles me is O-line. Usually they are the smartest guys on the field and it would seem to me we should be able to do better there.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand what you are saying but I am just taking the 50 years of my history with Tech and Tech football. Example, we have never put a QB that played into the NFL in my lifetime. We have always succeeded with Running QBs who could throw some nice passes.
Dewberry
Shawn Jones
Joe Hamilton
Reggie Ball
Nesbitt
Washington
JT5

The one are though I will admit that always beffudles me is O-line. Usually they are the smartest guys on the field and it would seem to me we should be able to do better there.
Larry Good played in the NFL til injury ended his career asRick Strom played too

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
That was incredibly difficult to try to follow
Not too difficult to follow at all... He was saying the team needs to have a depth chart, and players need to know where they stand on a week-to-week basis. They need to get the necessary reps in practice as well as gameday reps, and they need to have a relationship with the coaches as well as their teammates on the field -- to the point that everyone knows what the other is thinking and how they are going to react in certain situations. It's a lot like lines in hockey, where players get used to one another over time and instinctively know each other's moves.

If someone wants to move up the depth chart, they have to prove it in practice, but more importantly, they have to prove it in games. I am not down on Coach Collins yet, but Coach Johnson was much better suited for coaching a "less talented" group of players, not just because of his schemes, but also because of his discipline. Regardless of the prevailing social climate, young football players usually respond better to discipline than hand-holding or hugging. They respect disciplinarian coaches more and are challenged to prove themselves in practice. Players who do not possess the size, strength or skill of their opponents need a much more disciplined approach to the game to be competitive.

The Citadel has had a rough start thus far, but they've been very good in recent years in their own division, and that school is all about discipline. I think because of their discipline, they were in a position to take advantage of all Tech's mistakes yesterday.

Not too difficult to follow at all... He was saying the team needs to have a depth chart, and players need to know where they stand on a week-to-week basis. They need to get the necessary reps in practice as well as gameday reps, and they need to have a relationship with the coaches as well as their teammates on the field -- to the point that everyone knows what the other is thinking and how they are going to react in certain situations. It's a lot like lines in hockey, where players get used to one another over time and instinctively know each other's moves.

If someone wants to move up the depth chart, they have to prove it in practice, but more importantly, they have to prove it in games. I am not down on Coach Collins yet, but Coach Johnson was much better suited for coaching a "less talented" group of players, not just because of his schemes, but also because of his discipline. Regardless of the prevailing social climate, young football players usually respond better to discipline than hand-holding or hugging. They respect disciplinarian coaches more and are challenged to prove themselves in practice. Players who do not possess the size, strength or skill of their opponents need a much more disciplined approach to the game to be competitive.

The Citadel has had a rough start thus far, but they've been very good in recent years in their own division, and that school is all about discipline. I think because of their discipline, they were in a position to take advantage of all Tech's mistakes yesterday.

It aint just this generation, Ask anybody who played for the Bear. a quite successful coach....even at 2 basketball schools.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Larry Good played in the NFL til injury ended his career asRick Strom played too
Mike Kelley played backup for the Falcons for a season or two, maybe third on the depth chart, and I seem to remember Joe Hamilton was backup on the Super-Bowl winning Buccaneers. But the point Colorado Jacket made is still pretty accurate. There was a poster yesterday who mentioned Nebraska being a historically run-oriented team, and how they haven't amounted to anything in recent years when they went to a pro-style offense. If someone has the tools to make it to the NFL, then they will find the route to get there. In most cases, there are college teams that will find them. Jacob Eason is doing pretty well back out at Washington right now. But most college QBs won't make it to the NFL, not just because of talent or size, but because the don't really fit the NFL system. Many of these kids can still compete, as long as the system matches their skill set and the staff is able to coach them up.

SpanishMossGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Dewberry
Shawn Jones
Joe Hamilton
Reggie Ball
Nesbitt
Washington
JT5

Parker Braun getting out while he could does appear to support your theory of O linemen being the smartest on the field!

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Mike Kelley played backup for the Falcons for a season or two, maybe third on the depth chart, and I seem to remember Joe Hamilton was backup on the Super-Bowl winning Buccaneers. But the point Colorado Jacket made is still pretty accurate. There was a poster yesterday who mentioned Nebraska being a historically run-oriented team, and how they haven't amounted to anything in recent years when they went to a pro-style offense. If someone has the tools to make it to the NFL, then they will find the route to get there. In most cases, there are college teams that will find them. Jacob Eason is doing pretty well back out at Washington right now. But most college QBs won't make it to the NFL, not just because of talent or size, but because the don't really fit the NFL system. Many of these kids can still compete, as long as the system matches their skill set and the staff is able to coach them up.
Larry Good and Mike Kelley had great arms.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
When CGC gets his players in here he will make the coaching changes that’s needed he wants to be here and I believe he will do whatever is necessary to be successful.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

OK. Curry followed Pepper Rogers 4-6-1 1979 and we stunk for 2 years ... winning one game each year. But this game was winnable even with all the BS. Collins did not put his players in the best position to win and as a result, we lost. We didn't get beat ... we lost. We did it to ourselves.

If I was TStan, I would make damn sure I had a Monday morning review with Collins and talked about the game.

I still think he's Butch Jones 2.0.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If the team is not under control at Temple it will be telling. Here’s some basic elements that need immediate correction:

*Nobody should get on that plane without being capable of playing a clean game. There should be a few empty seats based on the Citadel game to send a message.

*Nobody should get on the plane without understanding the basic rules of the game. Hire a consultant to train on basic rules.

*Nobody should get on the plane that cannot control themselves on the sideline or on the field. Stop the dancing like we’re trying to be da U.

What’s the point in sending an empty plane?

Ok just kidding. I agree to an extent but we need all hands on deck. The penalties deserve some punishment and correction but I don’t think a game suspension is warranted unless the message correcting the behavior doesn’t sink in.

Temple is gonna be a tough game. We have two weeks to prep and fix stuff. I think we will. Not predicting a W but it should be a good game.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What’s the point in sending an empty plane?

Ok just kidding. I agree to an extent but we need all hands on deck. The penalties deserve some punishment and correction but I don’t think a game suspension is warranted unless the message correcting the behavior doesn’t sink in.

Temple is gonna be a tough game. We have two weeks to prep and fix stuff. I think we will. Not predicting a W but it should be a good game.

UT lost to Ga State. Not exactly the same, but close. The players didn't dance, didn't say "Oh, they played a good game and earned it." No. The players met in the locker room and the players on the team had it out with others who missed assignments, weren't engaged, and otherwise contributed to the loss. They lost the next game but ... it was a team that PLAYED 60 minutes. I saw both games and it was night and day.

This was just atrocious. For a school that boasts 4 NC's ... this was just unseemly bad.