MSU Defense

thwgjacket

Ranked 81st in total D. 25th against the run. Not sure they have played a team with as good a running game as ours except maybe Alabama. We may throw over 20 times. Their secondary is apparently pretty horrendous.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Two key players...DE Preston Smith and LB Benardrick McKinney.

McKinney is the main one to me...a 6'4 250 LB who has great speed...almost unheard of speed from a guy his size. Likely to be a 1st round pick in the NFL next year...we have to get a hat on him.

Animal02

Banned
Yard per rush......Clemp - 2.78 UVA - 3.36 MSU - 3.69 UGA - 4.24 Pitt - 4.42
Rushing yards......Clemp 97.67 (251) UVA - 120.67 (268) MSU -126.50 (???) Pitt - 156 (465) UGA 176.75 (399)

If MSU gives up 3.69 yds per play.......we will just run them to death.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Weak secondary just means we will be able to out athlete them on the perimeter and the occasional bomb will be more wide open if routes are run to a T. Who loves them some sideline-hugging rocket tosses?
This-Guy-Jim-Halpert-The-Office.gif

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yard per rush......Clemp - 2.78 UVA - 3.36 MSU - 3.69 UGA - 4.24 Pitt - 4.42
Rushing yards......Clemp 97.67 (251) UVA - 120.67 (268) MSU -126.50 (???) Pitt - 156 (465) UGA 176.75 (399)

If MSU gives up 3.69 yds per play.......we will just run them to death.
If MSU gives up only 3.69 per rush on average, we are in deep kim-chee. We need to average over 5 to have a good game. I think we will be able to run on them, just as we have against everybody, but it will be some tough sledding along the way. Hitting the occasional big pass would be a huge help.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It will be interesting to see what Paul has cooked up for them. The old "extra weeks to prepare" things cuts both ways -- Paul has had extra time too. I wonder if their DC has played anybody who looks like us so that CPJ can get a look at tendencies?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Note the really nice article in the ajc on GT and MSU and a tremendous act of class by Johnson and his team.

w.ajc.com/news/sports/college/mullen-recalls-johnsons-2010-gesture-of-support/njb8s/

Story I do not recall seeing in the past.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said we have some "new stuff" for the bowl game. "Not sure if we'll use it, but we got it." Translation: We're gonna do our normal thing unless we can't then we got some new stuff.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ said we have some "new stuff" for the bowl game. "Not sure if we'll use it, but we got it." Translation: We're gonna do our normal thing unless we can't then we got some new stuff.

I see it as...once they adjust (first adjustment) to our normal stuff and if they line up a certain way we may gash them with some new stuff.

thwgjacket

If MSU gives up only 3.69 per rush on average, we are in deep kim-chee. We need to average over 5 to have a good game. I think we will be able to run on them, just as we have against everybody, but it will be some tough sledding along the way. Hitting the occasional big pass would be a huge help.
We averaged 5 ypc against Clemson who has the #1 rush defense. We just didn't have the ball much because our D kept scoring.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I see our O performing about like they did against FSU: over 300 rushing and around 33 - 37 points. The reason will, I think, be the same as it was with the Criminoles: MSU hasn't played a team running our O since the last time they played us. None of those players are still on the roster. Their D has good speed and is used to running to the football, just like FSU. I expect that same lack of overall discipline we saw in the ACCCG.

The question, as usual, comes with our D up against their O. Prescott especially worries me; we haven't generally done well against teams with big QBs who can run. Their RBs are good too. I hope we get some turnovers; we will end up needing them, I think.

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
We need to not crap our selves like we usually do in bowls and be +2 in turnovers to win this game. They're simply a better team than us.

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
No SEC bias at all, just looking at one team versus another team. They're a more complete team. Let's not try to act like this wouldn't be an upset for us to win. They are ranked ahead of us for a reason. They are just as good as FSU. We needed to get turnovers to win that game, which we didn't get, so we lost. Nothing I said means we can't win, we very much can. We're very good this year, but there are better teams. I guess people haven't considered that possibility.

Based on what?
Stats and resume

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
No SEC bias at all, just looking at one team versus another team. They're a more complete team. Let's not try to act like this wouldn't be an upset for us to win. They are ranked ahead of us for a reason. They are just as good as FSU. We needed to get turnovers to win that game, which we didn't get, so we lost. Nothing I said means we can't win, we very much can. We're very good this year, but there are better teams. I guess people haven't considered that possibility.

Stats and resume
And, don't forget, quality losses.