MSU Defense

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Stats and resume

Okay, I'll grant you the stats--but resume? I think you need to look closer at how many crappy teams MSU has played. Their OOC schedule was a joke. Their cross-division games were against the worst teams in the SEC East (teams so bad they would have finished in the bottom of every P5 conference).

It's easy to have good stats when six of your opponents are cupcakes, and two of your divisional opponents are highly questionable.

I'm not saying SMU won't be a challenge--they are a good team. But 'better team than us' is a premature judgement based on questionable (and pro-SEC biased) stats. Let's allow Wednesday night decide who is truly the better team.

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Okay, I'll grant you the stats--but resume? I think you need to look closer at how many crappy teams MSU has played. Their OOC schedule was a joke. Their cross-division games were against the worst teams in the SEC East (teams so bad they would have finished in the bottom of every P5 conference).

It's easy to have good stats when six of your opponents are cupcakes, and two of your divisional opponents are highly questionable.

I'm not saying SMU won't be a challenge--they are a good team. But 'better team than us' is a premature judgement based on questionable (and pro-SEC biased) stats. Let's allow Wednesday night decide who is truly the better team.

They're ranked higher than us in every resume based ranking out there. We did have the tougher schedule overall but they lost to teams that were on their own level as opposed to us who lost to 2 inferior teams and 1 team at our level. We have a slight edge in quality wins and with fewer cupcakes, granted.
Vegas has them as a TD favorite on a neutral field as well, which is another data point.

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Miss St has a guy running their defense with 2 years of coaching experience. 2 years! PJ is going to make him look dumb.

We will win this game easily.

And they are overrated.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
With our D no game can be easy. But to say they are better than us is an opinion. In three days we will know. If we had Smelter I would not think they are better than us. I don't think they are now. On any given Saturday no team had better take this bunch of guys lightly. Bowls have other intangibles which make it hard to handicap because of distractions. I would think not having to worry about classes would be to our advantage especially with regard to film study. This is a team and the underclassmen want this for the seniors, just like they wanted UGA.
Go Jackets! Sting 'em!!! Swarm 'em!!!

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
they have a great front seven and a really bad secondary

But wouldn't having such great front seven make up for lacking in the secondary? A great line can rush a qb or get sacks to where the secondary just has to hold there own. Either the line isn't that good or the secondary is one of the worst in ncaa.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't understand why people think they have a great defense at all. They gave up 29 points to LSU. That's not a good defense.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I don't understand why people think they have a great defense at all. They gave up 29 points to LSU. That's not a good defense.

It's the matchup that you have to look at IMO...they have the parts needed to slow us down. Doesn't mean they will but they some good players at key spots. Great DL with two good DTs and a elite DE follwed by a elite MLB.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It's the matchup that you have to look at IMO...they have the parts needed to slow us down. Doesn't mean they will but they some good players at key spots. Great DL with two good DTs and a elite DE follwed by a elite MLB.
I don't think either of those DTs are better than Grady Jarrett. And we've already shown we can make a DE like Vic Beasley a nonfactor. They've got talent there but we can get our points. I just think it'll come down to stopping Dak.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I don't think either of those DTs are better than Grady Jarrett. And we've already shown we can make a DE like Vic Beasley a nonfactor. They've got talent there but we can get our points. I just think it'll come down to stopping Dak.

Dont think either are as good as Jarrett either...Preston is not a Beasley type...He is more of a physical run stuffer where as Beasley is a pass rusher.

Clemson was really the main defense that had success against us...I don't think the Miss St unit is as good but I think they are something close to VT.

The most CPJ has scored in a bowl game since he has been here is 27 and that was a OT game vs Utah...I just don't see us putting up massive numbers against Miss St. Hope I am wrong...I think if we win it will be a 24-21 type of game.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I appreciate the realism but remember, just because a team has had an overall better season doesn't mean they're better right now. Tech had a brief slump followed by a lights-out winning streak. MSU played better
in the first half of the season than the second.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I've already stated this in this thread, but I think citing past numbers for CPJ in bowl games discredits the O-Line we have this year. They are that much better than any we've had in the past. We push teams around, not the other way round.

Mississippi State is a good team, but I'm not sure they have the mental focus and fortitude that our team has shown this season. In all honesty I think our team will be the one that shows the fire that we've seen is necessary to win these bowl games from some of the recent performances.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Dont think either are as good as Jarrett either...Preston is not a Beasley type...He is more of a physical run stuffer where as Beasley is a pass rusher.

Clemson was really the main defense that had success against us...I don't think the Miss St unit is as good but I think they are something close to VT.

The most CPJ has scored in a bowl game since he has been here is 27 and that was a OT game vs Utah...I just don't see us putting up massive numbers against Miss St. Hope I am wrong...I think if we win it will be a 24-21 type of game.
I have to agreed that we have to stop Dak. He is type of QB that has killed us. On O we have to get a hat on that AA middle line backer, McKinney??