Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
This is pure delusion
ibeebalin, This post is not in response to yours. This post is about noting you did in game video analysis a while back. Very informative, especially things like linebacker and defensive linemen gap fills. Where players made good plays and where they "not so much". Any chance during the offseason you could do the same from a game last year? Or a comparison between the first half of the UNC game versus the first half of the ND game. Would not be in this thread, but I think informative. You may not have the time, but would love it if you could.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
ibeebalin, This post is not in response to yours. This post is about noting you did in game video analysis a while back. Very informative, especially things like linebacker and defensive linemen gap fills. Where players made good plays and where they "not so much". Any chance during the offseason you could do the same from a game last year? Or a comparison between the first half of the UNC game versus the first half of the ND game. Would not be in this thread, but I think informative. You may not have the time, but would love it if you could.

Catch me on JOL Rivals every Tuesday during the season

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I must say, what impresses me about this chart is that most of these teams had extraordinary football seasons (a turnaround from the year before or another good year), and among them Georgia Tech had by far the worst - yet we had the highest percentage of gain on social media. Certainly, in this area Geoff has excelled.

vmeBirwt_mini.png

SkullSparks

@SkullSparks
· Jan 5
College athletics departments (FBS) with the largest percent growth in social interactions generated on main accounts in 2021 compared to 2020. http://SkullSparks.com/analytics
Show this thread

View attachment 11956
I am not a "social media" freak and while that may be greeted with a long "so what" there are an awful lot of people like me. We just don't care how many likes are generated. Rather, can he win? So far, three years in, the answer is a resounding "no". Maybe he needs to post less about culture or whatever turns him on.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am not a "social media" freak and while that may be greeted with a long "so what" there are an awful lot of people like me.
I'm probably like you. I'm 67 and have little interest in it beyond this forum (which looks like social media to me). Still the kids, you know, eat it up.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yet, no decent high school recruit wants to come within 100 miles of the 3O, which is why we are in this mess.
Yet the spread option succeeded and we won with it. Indeed, the year before we embarked on the present experiment, we won 7 games and went to a bowl game. All with the recruits we got to come to Tech while we were running the TO.

We won because we ran a system offense and recruited for that. And it worked. Unlike what we are doing now, of course.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Nobody beyond the academies run the "triple option"/wishbone as a base offense. But, the majority of the offenses run by most college teams have some sort of RPO in their offense which has similar principles to the "triple option" based offense. They just use it for more QB runs and as a basis for passing more.
Just to emphasize something here. In 2021, Army won 9 games and Air Force won 10. And both teams won their bowl games against P5 outfits.

And, yes, everyone runs option plays as part of their O, albeit normally double options. But that was what Tech ran mainly with the spread option as well.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
Just to emphasize something here. In 2021, Army won 9 games and Air Force won 10. And both teams won their bowl games against P5 outfits.

And, yes, everyone runs option plays as part of their O, albeit normally double options. But that was what Tech ran mainly with the spread option as well.
You are right.

RPO is basically triple option.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yet, no decent high school recruit wants to come within 100 miles of the 3O, which is why we are in this mess.
ah, no come on. If you want to limit your claim to tailbacks and maybe fullbacks, if there is such a thing anymore, you are on the right track. but you have just demeaned 10 years of GT recruits, not to mention Navy and Georgia Southern. Johnson was something like 189-100 with the offense he created, and he was winning against 5-stars with 2 and 3 stars. (see Jeff Monken, U.S. Military Academy.) so narrow your assault to get closer to a winning argument. A lot of guys got to play P5 football who might have been finished after high school.

In my own humble opinion we are "in this mess" because the AD conducted almost no search for a coach, almost immediately hired a guy who had 10 or 11 jobs in 22 years, had two mediocre years at Temple in his first head coaching job, and as it turned out, maybe unsurprisingly, cannot coach a Trailways bus into a parking place with two spotters.

Blame Johnson for his record. That's fair. It might tick him off, but it is fair. The nine wins in three years under Collins? Blame Collins for this mess. That is fair also.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve been away for a little while… 343 pages later. Yes, he should be fired based on performance or lack thereof. (8) FBS wins in (3) seasons. (2) FBS wins in year 3. And losing the last two games by a combined margin of 100-0.

I haven’t read all the posts but it seems like the reasons for not firing him despite the abomination brought on the program is lack of money. And the program is in debt. It’s in debt because GT alumni don’t care as much about football than other schools’ fanbases. (This may be an oversimplification but what I gathered from skimming the treads).

As a logical engineer, assuming the above paragraph is true / mostly true, would GT ever just cut football? I know that sounds like sacrilege but if it’s a money pit, we cannot be competitive in the NIL era, sports (or lack thereof) doesn’t really impact student academic enrollment, what’s the point of the program?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if you cut football, donations would go down dramatically. Also would not be able to stay in the ACC or Power 5 which means TV revenue would drop 90%+ (~30MM). I don't think that is the answer. Also we are already running the minimum number of sports to stay in Division I. Our problem is building/expanding/renovating facilities without funding to pay for it.