Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
With the likely abject failure of NSD and a recruiting class that ends up rated similarly to Johnson's, does that turn up the heat and get Stansbury to start looking for the next head coach? Where does Collins bring any value to the table at this point?

In looking for a replacement, how much stock do we put in being an "elite recruiter" vs an Xs and Os wizard at this point? Unless NIL and Transfer Portal rules are adjusted immediately, it appears all the highly sought after athletes will go to the highest bidder, and Tech does not look to be in any position to be the highest bidder.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
With the likely abject failure of NSD and a recruiting class that ends up rated similarly to Johnson's, does that turn up the heat and get Stansbury to start looking for the next head coach? Where does Collins bring any value to the table at this point?

In looking for a replacement, how much stock do we put in being an "elite recruiter" vs an Xs and Os wizard at this point? Unless NIL and Transfer Portal rules are adjusted immediately, it appears all the highly sought after athletes will go to the highest bidder, and Tech does not look to be in any position to be the highest bidder.
It is not only the NSD not looking very promising, our 2 highest recruits from the 2020 class (Gibbs and Ivey) have both transferred. So mediocre recruiting and not showing the ability with Xs and Os seem to indicate we have to make a move. Long remains the only long-shot to turn this around if he can help make the offense more potent. College Football by and large is controlled by high scoring offenses today and we have to become that to overcome weakness with the defense.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think you are always looking at options, but there are reasons to be optimistic this season. CGC has been bringing in a higher level of talent for several years now and we have an OC that should be able to coach that talent and with CGC being known for being a decent DC and him now focused more on the defense couple with how weak the ACC is, this year really could be one of those 3 wins to 8 win turnaround season.

That would then change things going forward both from recruiting as well as new coaches who dont look at the current regime as one more year and done.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think you are always looking at options, but there are reasons to be optimistic this season. CGC has been bringing in a higher level of talent for several years now and we have an OC that should be able to coach that talent and with CGC being known for being a decent DC and him now focused more on the defense couple with how weak the ACC is, this year really could be one of those 3 wins to 8 win turnaround season.

That would then change things going forward both from recruiting as well as new coaches who dont look at the current regime as one more year and done.
I really don't mean this as a snarky question but what talented players that previously couldn't beat out the untalented players are now ready to break out and have big years?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It is not only the NSD not looking very promising, our 2 highest recruits from the 2020 class (Gibbs and Ivey) have both transferred. So mediocre recruiting and not showing the ability with Xs and Os seem to indicate we have to make a move. Long remains the only long-shot to turn this around if he can help make the offense more potent. College Football by and large is controlled by high scoring offenses today and we have to become that to overcome weakness with the defense.
My last hope is on Chip Long.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Okay would love for Collins to turn it around this year and make a bowl game but assuming he doesn't and don't crucify me for this what would you guys think about someone like Flores? Would connect with players and was really figuring out how to win his last 2 years in Miami with not a whole lot of talent comparatively. I understand the hesitation as he hasn't been in college but I would think he has a pretty high upside.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I really don't mean this as a snarky question but what talented players that previously couldn't beat out the untalented players are now ready to break out and have big years?
We seem to be getting some DT talent that we have been hard pressed to get before, As well as the receiver talent. Plus I like the TE transfer from Syracuse. We still have Sims an amazing QB talent that needs to settle down and hopefully Coach Long can make big improvements this year. Just off the top of my head

slugboy

Staff member
Okay would love for Collins to turn it around this year and make a bowl game but assuming he doesn't and don't crucify me for this what would you guys think about someone like Flores? Would connect with players and was really figuring out how to win his last 2 years in Miami with not a whole lot of talent comparatively. I understand the hesitation as he hasn't been in college but I would think he has a pretty high upside.
Assuming Collins doesn't turn it around this year, Long is basically auditioning for an HC job this year.

NFL coaches have had trouble transitioning to college, and vice-versa. There are some notable exceptions like Bill Walsh and Bobby Ross.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins better figure out how to make the defense average or it’s over. If it’s the same as last year I don’t think the offense will be able to overcome it.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
How often does a poor performing head coach get replaced by one of his assistants? Seems like a really bad idea honestly.
It's also a reason why mid season firings happen - if you have in mind someone on your staff who might be a replacement, you make the change mid season, put the interim tag on the targeted coach and see how they do and/or how the program responds.

For those who are so convinced there's no change possible until end of 2022, there's just so much history to show that that's wrong....

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It's also a reason why mid season firings happen - if you have in mind someone on your staff who might be a replacement, you make the change mid season, put the interim tag on the targeted coach and see how they do and/or how the program responds.

For those who are so convinced there's no change possible until end of 2022, there's just so much history to show that that's wrong....
There may be history but there would still be a large financial impact to a mid season firing

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There may be history but there would still be a large financial impact to a mid season firing
I don't know the legal answer to this but what stops us from naming Chip Long the interim head coach, and making Collins a defensive analyst for the rest of the season before eventually parting ways with him when the finances work out better?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep. There would have been if we had done it last December, but they came close. Only ADTS kept it from happening. I know some never predict us to lose a game but just for fun, can anyone really imagine us sticking with CGC if we start 1-4 and none of the losses are close or competitive ? Of course it would be expensive, but it would be more expensive to not do it...

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Except that the contract we offered our current coach doesn’t seem to follow most historical norms?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
In the context of what you’re saying, yes, midseason firings happen often; the difference being not when there is guaranteed money through the end of said season (and that’s also usually not season 4).
It absolutely COULD happen, but given that financial implication, I hope it doesn’t. It would mean were an out of control dumpster fire and probably just took our 5th or 6th loss against Duke at home.