Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the legal answer to this but what stops us from naming Chip Long the interim head coach, and making Collins a defensive analyst for the rest of the season before eventually parting ways with him when the finances work out better?
There’s a legal concept called diminution of value. Unless he agrees, it’s a violation of his contract.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There’s a legal concept called diminution of value. Unless he agrees, it’s a violation of his contract.
As I’ve said elsewhere, one of the loopholes is if there is a mutual agreement to part ways. Then the firing is less costly.

The scenario is that this season is a dumpster fire, the program is collapsing in real time, and the AD needs to take decisive action. In that case a coach may offer his resignation for the good of the institution. Holding out for money “you were promised” when you have destroyed the work place does not open the doors of any future job opportunities. And in this case, surely a Tech man….

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
As I’ve said elsewhere, one of the loopholes is if there is a mutual agreement to part ways. Then the firing is less costly.

The scenario is that this season is a dumpster fire, the program is collapsing in real time, and the AD needs to take decisive action. In that case a coach may offer his resignation for the good of the institution. Holding out for money “you were promised” when you have destroyed the work place does not open the doors of any future job opportunities. And in this case, surely a Tech man….
i mean, clearly you're a bad fan for suggesting and thinking this

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

In the event Geoff gets replaced, I’m sure he has a dollar figure in mind. He’s not coaching again as a HC at the D1 level.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If by some strange happenstance our offense performs really well but we still lose a bunch of games, I would expect that Chip Long would be the next head coach and would assume that role the minute Collins’ buyout decreases. And I’d be happy with that decision. We’d be rewarding the coach who succeeded at his job, and it would give us the opportunity to keep the coaches who are doing well while replacing the ones who aren’t.

If the whole team looks like a train wreck all year and we lose most of our games in embarrassing fashion, I’d be in favor of going back to a Wishbone or Flexbone coach. The Portal and NIL are making it seem that recruiting will be a losing battle for schools like Tech going forward, so if we can’t make things work with coaches who are good recruiters, we might as well accept our ceiling and do something that at least gives us a chance to be more competitive. No point in prioritizing recruiting if every player who shows promise is just going to leave for a bigger payday immediately.

I’m still hoping that Collins turns it around and shows significant improvement.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
O’Leary…
Yeah, that was another's reply, but it was a bit of a different situation. O'Leary already had a history of great success with the program previously and was only with Lewis for 8 games. I guess we could be grooming Long for something similar but im not entirely sure why we would. What exactly in his background could have led to him being the coach in waiting?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If by some strange happenstance our offense performs really well but we still lose a bunch of games, I would expect that Chip Long would be the next head coach and would assume that role the minute Collins’ buyout decreases. And I’d be happy with that decision. We’d be rewarding the coach who succeeded at his job, and it would give us the opportunity to keep the coaches who are doing well while replacing the ones who aren’t.

If the whole team looks like a train wreck all year and we lose most of our games in embarrassing fashion, I’d be in favor of going back to a Wishbone or Flexbone coach. The Portal and NIL are making it seem that recruiting will be a losing battle for schools like Tech going forward, so if we can’t make things work with coaches who are good recruiters, we might as well accept our ceiling and do something that at least gives us a chance to be more competitive. No point in prioritizing recruiting if every player who shows promise is just going to leave for a bigger payday immediately.

I’m still hoping that Collins turns it around and shows significant improvement.
Interesting thought.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Interesting thought.
So one of the reasons the portal was created was it was not fair for coaches to leave for $ . The players should get to leave w no penalty.
What about when a program changes coaches and system.?
No players left gt when we broke the option and no offensive coaches got snapped up.

We could have quite a few skill and ol gt players portal up. When we changed to it last time there was no portal and we had our best recruiting class in modern era.

It's up or out time for gt football.
Besides Collins is definitely under the gun and as you said he looks to have made a couple of good hires on offense. I have strong hope we will not be a defensive dumpster fire again .

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I don’t know why Long would be our choice for HC if we were looking, so I don’t know why this season would become a de facto audition for him. I’m not “in the know” by any stretch, but I hope if we hired him with that in mind it’s because he would be our top target at the end of the season as well. That’s the part I can’t quite accept but I hope he’s a stellar hire as OC for now!

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

I don't see Collins doing anything for the "good of the Institute". Collins does what is good for Collins, which I am fine with as long as Tech football benefits. Johnson did what was good for the Institute.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't see Collins doing anything for the "good of the Institute". Collins does what is good for Collins, which I am fine with as long as Tech football benefits. Johnson did what was good for the Institute.

Is it April Fools Day already?

Mods - after the poll and all, still this thread is up?

slugboy

Staff member
In the event Geoff gets replaced, I’m sure he has a dollar figure in mind. He’s not coaching again as a HC at the D1 level.
Or his agent does. I’m sure Collins is all in on turning this situation around. It’s not just money—it’s his career. If I were in that situation, I’d be putting more of my mental energy towards pathways to success than planning to fail.
I can kind of see the rationalization
Year 1: doesn’t matter—we’re building for next year
Year 2: doesn’t count because of COVID
Year 3: (this is harder to rationalize)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Or his agent does. I’m sure Collins is all in on turning this situation around. It’s not just money—it’s his career. If I were in that situation, I’d be putting more of my mental energy towards pathways to success than planning to fail.
Year 3: SH!# JUST GOT REAL!
FIFY...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For you lawyer types.

Could GT suspend Collins' active role with team while keeping him on contract as the head coach through the end of the 2022 season?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Year 3: (this is harder to rationalize)
Wanting to turn it around is not the same as being able to do so. Geoff doesn't know what he doesn't know. He's following Bobby Bowden's Guide to Rebuilding and .... it isn't working. Maybe this year is the Big Reveal.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For you lawyer types.

Could GT suspend Collins' active role with team while keeping him on contract as the head coach through the end of the 2022 season?
No lawyer here but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express and I'd bet that wouldn't work.
Collins would sue for the $7 million he wouldn't get of the $14 million he's owed if fired this year. He'd say it was a breach of contract and he'd be right.
We can't have our cake and eat it, too.
They could do it if they paid him the money anyway, but that would obviate the entire thinly disguised reason for the contractual two-step.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No lawyer here but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express and I'd bet that wouldn't work.
Collins would sue for the $7 million he wouldn't get of the $14 million he's owed if fired this year. He'd say it was a breach of contract and he'd be right.
We can't have our cake and eat it, too.
They could do it if they paid him the money anyway, but that would obviate the entire thinly disguised reason for the contractual two-step.
My thoughts as well. Thanks.

Which Holiday Inn Express? I have more legal questions. 😉