Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Of the transfers and recruits Collins signed how many started on the defensive side of the ball? I can’t think of a single “impact” transfer or recruit that was unable to beat out the all of that “lack of inherited talent.” (Outside of Gibbs) Hmm
Jeff Sims? Ahmarean Brown? Jordan Williams? Jared Southers? Ryan Johnson? Devin Cochran? Ivey? Emmanuel Johnson? Kyle Kennard?
What are you talking about dude?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Sims? Ahmarean Brown? Jordan Williams? Jared Southers? Ryan Johnson? Devin Cochran? Ivey? Emmanuel Johnson? Kyle Kennard?
What are you talking about dude?
Brown transferred smh
Sims I would not say is impactful. He may have all of the tools but has yet to put them together.
Kyle Kenard had 15 tackles. 5 of them being solo. Lol Are you kidding me?

We had the worst grade of an offensive line in the ACC. You really need help

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Brown transferred smh
Sims I would not say is impactful. He may have all of the tools but has yet to put them together.
Kyle Kenard had 15 tackles. 5 of them being solo. Lol Are you kidding me?

We had the worst grade of an offensive line in the ACC. You really need help
You said none of the recruits or transfers could beat out the “lack of inherited talent” yet I just provided you with numerous examples. If those players have performed poorly, imagine how poorly the guys they beat out would’ve played.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
You said none of the recruits or transfers could beat out the “lack of inherited talent” yet I just provided you with numerous examples. If those players have performed poorly, imagine how poorly the guys they beat out would’ve played.
Yep you got me. Best you could do was some grad transfer o-linemen. We needed Southers because Collins couldn’t keep another All American Braun on the roster

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Beamer, however, took over a program stacked with talent. Since 2016, SC has only two years (per Rivals) of recruiting outside the top 20. 26th in 2016, and 79th in 2021, where following the coaching change, they only signed 13 players. So far this year they are 21st.
Outside of top15, it's a crap shoot

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
@Eli
Yep you got me. Best you could do was some grad transfer o-linemen. We needed Southers because Collins couldn’t keep another All American Braun on the roster
3/5 of the starting OL this year were Collins’ guys. 5 different Collins guys played at least some snaps on the OL. Jeff Sims is the starting QB. We effectively traded AB for Kyric McGowan who put up much better numbers than AB did either last year with us or this year with SCar. A starting LB was a Collins transfer. The kicker was a Collins transfer. Saying Collins’ guys aren’t contributing is disingenuous at best, and just a straight up lie at worst.

Oh and btw, Parker Braun was transferring regardless. Even if CPJ came back he was leaving anyway. Why? Because he wanted to play in a more pro style offense at a bigger school to showcase himself for the draft. But what happened? He was Texas’ worst OL, he went undrafted, and now he’s coaching JV football.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
@Eli

3/5 of the starting OL this year were Collins’ guys. 5 different Collins guys played at least some snaps on the OL. Jeff Sims is the starting QB. We effectively traded AB for Kyric McGowan who put up much better numbers than AB did either last year with us or this year with SCar. A starting LB was a Collins transfer. The kicker was a Collins transfer. Saying Collins’ guys aren’t contributing is disingenuous at best, and just a straight up lie at worst.

Oh and btw, Parker Braun was transferring regardless. Even if CPJ came back he was leaving anyway. Why? Because he wanted to play in a more pro style offense at a bigger school to showcase himself for the draft. But what happened? He was Texas’ worst OL, he went undrafted, and now he’s coaching JV football.
The worst OL? He started every game. He clearly was one of the best 5

Last edited:

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
@Eli

The same kicker who was 0/4 from 40 and beyond this year? If you can't make a field goal from 40 plus in P5, you are not "the best kicker in America."
Brown also averaged 18.1 yards per catch in two seasons. McGowan averaged 12.6
McGowan had 7 TDs this year. Brown had that in his first year.

And let's not get into some other transfer busts, like Clayton. Or Ezzard.
I don't hold having a transfer LB as the starter in that much regard. Could mean Collins hasn't recruited that position that well, either, and had to go the transfer portal route.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The same kicker who was 0/4 from 40 and beyond this year? If you can't make a field goal from 40 plus in P5, you are not "the best kicker in America."
Brown also averaged 18.1 yards per catch in two seasons. McGowan averaged 12.6
McGowan had 7 TDs this year. Brown had that in his first year.

And let's not get into some other transfer busts, like Clayton. Or Ezzard.
I don't hold having a transfer LB as the starter in that much regard. Could mean Collins hasn't recruited that position that well, either, and had to go the transfer portal route.
A kicker going 11/11 from inside of 40 is really all you can ask for. Sure it’s nice to make a few from 40+ but a reliable kicker from inside 40 is what most college teams are going to want. And what the hell are you talking about “the best kicker in America”? Lmao. Nobody ever said that.

Yards per catch for a receiver isn’t really a great stat because it doesn’t take into account usage. Also, you brought up AB’s stats from 2019, when I very clearly said last year (2020) and this year (2021). In 2021 McGowan had 35 receptions for 457 yards and 7 TDs. In 2020 and 2021 combined Brown has 22 receptions for 287 yards and 1 TD. It’s pretty clear there was more production out of McGowan than AB.

The other transfer busts? You mean the guys who have been hurt? Sure, what about them? Let’s not forget about the 60+ players that were inherited that apparently are also busts since they aren’t all conference. Eley starting at LB means there were no upperclassmen who were better than him to take his position. All of the upperclassmen on the 2021 team were either inherited players or transfers.

The original post I was responding to said none of Collins’ guys were contributing, which to which I provided examples to counter that statement. It’s not about who recruited the better players or denigrating the old staff. I’m just trying to state simple facts.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Kind of reinforces the point that you can win with talent and you can lose with talent. The difference often is coaching. Not always the case but I think we have enough empirical evidence to see where the problem lies.

Also reinforces the difference in the state of the two programs. As of right now, SC is recruiting better than we are, and has been for a while. Beamer walked into a bad situation but had the talent on hand to make quick fixes. Can't say the same for Collins at GT.