Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Few are doubting that. It was known there would be transition issues. The question is, how much impact did it have? I think you 3O haters are blowing it out of proportion. In year 3, we're still stuck on 3 wins. That's not on Paul Johnson's offense.

This what bugs me. Why 2 things cannot be true?.

Yes. There are prolonged effects from CPJ still on this most notably the OL issue

CPJ is not an excuse for our ****ty defense this yr

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Exactly! Blaming a former coach three years later is definitely 2 year old behavior.
You really don't understand college football. You have a lot of company on this board though.

If you look at the all ACC first and second team OL this year, every one of them was at least a third year player. We had one guy-Minihan-who fit that description, got significant playing time and was recruited by the last staff. The last staff did not leave behind talented guys who would be Jrs and Srs. The only Collins HS recruits on the team this year at OL were FR. Experience and physical maturity are important on the OL. Yet, at the end of the year we were starting a true FR, a walk on and another FR who was a second year player.

And yes, that's due to last staff's recruiting failures in large part, but not totally. The type of tackles that their offense used are different body types than pass blocking tackles. Still, the lack of players and depth at C and G is due to the last staff. (Some of the problem was Key's insistence on going too hard in practice and getting guys injured--when we have no depth. Brent Key--you aren't in Tuscaloosa anymore)

College football team differences are far more about the disparity in the LOS players than the ability of skill players. UNC is a perfect example. The media, who doesn't understand college football either, picked them as a top 10 preseason team because of Sam Howell. Howell is a good QB, but UNC was a 6-7 team because the OL wasn't very good (nor was the defense). Tech beating them really wasn't a fluke--we were pretty healthy early in the season, and UNC wasn't very good--at OL or on D.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Some suggested early in the CGC tenure that it would be 7 years of CPJ’s fault.

Could you find one of those posts? I'd be curious as to who said that. I've seen no one blame CPJ for where we are. There is an acknowledgement among reasonable fans that the transition would be difficult, but I have seen precious few blame CPJ for where we are today, and for sure I've seen no one say it would be 7 years CPJs fault...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Yes. There are prolonged effects from CPJ still on this most notably the OL issue

This. And blaming CPJ for the transition is just as wrong. We chose to make the transition knowing it would be difficult. None of this is CPJs "fault" but the program he left behind is vastly different from the program we are trying to install, and that was always going to take time.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You really don't understand college football. You have a lot of company on this board though.

If you look at the all ACC first and second team OL this year, every one of them was at least a third year player. We had one guy-Minihan-who fit that description, got significant playing time and was recruited by the last staff. The last staff did not leave behind talented guys who would be Jrs and Srs. The only Collins HS recruits on the team this year at OL were FR. Experience and physical maturity are important on the OL. Yet, at the end of the year we were starting a true FR, a walk on and another FR who was a second year player.

And yes, that's due to last staff's recruiting failures in large part, but not totally. The type of tackles that their offense used are different body types than pass blocking tackles. Still, the lack of players and depth at C and G is due to the last staff. (Some of the problem was Key's insistence on going too hard in practice and getting guys injured--when we have no depth. Brent Key--you aren't in Tuscaloosa anymore)

College football team differences are far more about the disparity in the LOS players than the ability of skill players. UNC is a perfect example. The media, who doesn't understand college football either, picked them as a top 10 preseason team because of Sam Howell. Howell is a good QB, but UNC was a 6-7 team because the OL wasn't very good (nor was the defense). Tech beating them really wasn't a fluke--we were pretty healthy early in the season, and UNC wasn't very good--at OL or on D.

After reading the first sentence of the third paragraph, I think the opening sentence applies to you as well...

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
A kicker going 11/11 from inside of 40 is really all you can ask for. Sure it’s nice to make a few from 40+ but a reliable kicker from inside 40 is what most college teams are going to want. And what the hell are you talking about “the best kicker in America”? Lmao. Nobody ever said that.
Collins called him that. Word for (bleepin) word.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Also reinforces the difference in the state of the two programs. As of right now, SC is recruiting better than we are, and has been for a while. Beamer walked into a bad situation but had the talent on hand to make quick fixes. Can't say the same for Collins at GT.
Talent can be beat by experience. We have been in the portal to help mitigate our lack of experience. Get old, stay old.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The other transfer busts? You mean the guys who have been hurt? Sure, what about them? Let’s not forget about the 60+ players that were inherited that apparently are also busts since they aren’t all conference. Eley starting at LB means there were no upperclassmen who were better than him to take his position. All of the upperclassmen on the 2021 team were either inherited players or transfers.

The original post I was responding to said none of Collins’ guys were contributing, which to which I provided examples to counter that statement. It’s not about who recruited the better players or denigrating the old staff. I’m just trying to state simple facts.
Ezzard wasn't hurt. And I'd rather have Brown. He can stretch a defense. McGowan didn't have that kind of top end speed. We made a big deal out of getting Clayton and injuries or no, he had little impact.
And I don't know if I'd tout having 3/5 of the OL - which by all metrics was really really, bad - as Collins' guys. That either shows you ain't coaching or you have really missed the boat on some recruits.
Eley's PFF afso isn't anything to write home about.

Scholarship kickers should make kicks under 40. And they should make them over 40.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ezzard wasn't hurt. And I'd rather have Brown. He can stretch a defense. McGowan didn't have that kind of top end speed. We made a big deal out of getting Clayton and injuries or no, he had little impact.
And I don't know if I'd tout having 3/5 of the OL - which by all metrics was really really, bad - as Collins' guys. That either shows you ain't coaching or you have really missed the boat on some recruits.

Scholarship kickers should make kicks under 40. And they should make them over 40.
The recruited OL hasn't been here long enough to reliably make that assessment.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Collins called him that. Word for (bleepin) word.
16EF0CD5-E0B2-4064-B48B-A3BD5FFB8505.jpeg

Looks like it wasn’t “word for (bleepin) word” and this was another disingenuous statement. Cimaglia was hurt and missed multiple games. One of his misses from 40+ was blocked and another was a ridiculous 60 yard attempt to try and win the NIU game that should’ve never happened. Perfect from inside 40 and 73% overall is pretty good regardless. Butker was never better than 73% until his senior year. Cimaglia also was a semi finalist at Tennessee for the Lou Groza but seemed to lose a little bit of his luster in 2020 and didn’t fully recover in 2021.

But it’s good to know you’re hung up on one single quote from the head coach, that you didn’t even get right btw) instead of the examples I’ve laid out disproving your point, and the OPs point that Collins’ guys aren’t contributing.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Lmao. I counted Brown in my original post anyway because he was a Collins guy that contributed, but we got his best year by far to date. Then got McGowan to replace him and he had a better year than Brown has had in the last 2 combined. But you’d rather have Brown just because? That’s pretty stupid.

How many times was attempting a 40+ yard field goal even a good play to make? We were playing from behind in most games and kicking 40+ yarders is a worse play than going for it on 4th and short. If your bone to pick with Collins is we don’t have kickers making 45 yarders after the massive improvement in place kicking over 2019 and 2020 then you really don’t care about facts. Only confirming your biases.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Talent can be beat by experience. We have been in the portal to help mitigate our lack of experience. Get old, stay old.

It absolutely can. I'm not as big a believer in the transfer portal as a program building tool, however. In a few years, I think we will see more accurate rankings of players in the transfer portal, as opposed to simply their HS recruiting rankings, and then we will better be able to judge how effective it is as a recruiting tool. Right now, I think we we are mainly trying to build some OL depth without getting all our OL in 1-2 recruiting classes, which would cause problems down the road.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Nah, the first year was definitely on CPJ, the second year was a combination, the third year more on CGC and next year, for better or worse, is almost all on CGC.
Back to this. So losing to Citadel, getting shut out by VT, scoring 2 against Temple was on CPJ ? That’s really insane. There was nothing CGC could have done ? And we wonder why CPJ keeps getting brought up ? He continues to get blamed for the performance of our close to lame duck HC.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

If there is supposedly any aspect of the team that can't possibly be improved by year 4 because of the previous regime then the current regime will never succeed. They already have a losers mindset that they will not be able to overcome.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 11900
Looks like it wasn’t “word for (bleepin) word” and this was another disingenuous statement. Cimaglia was hurt and missed multiple games. One of his misses from 40+ was blocked and another was a ridiculous 60 yard attempt to try and win the NIU game that should’ve never happened. Perfect from inside 40 and 73% overall is pretty good regardless. Butker was never better than 73% until his senior year. Cimaglia also was a semi finalist at Tennessee for the Lou Groza but seemed to lose a little bit of his luster in 2020 and didn’t fully recover in 2021.

But it’s good to know you’re hung up on one single quote from the head coach, that you didn’t even get right btw) instead of the examples I’ve laid out disproving your point, and the OPs point that Collins’ guys aren’t contributing.

You named 9 guys on a roster of 85. Of the guys you named only three are still on the team. There is no way you went to Tech. What is the math on that contribution? Furthermore the guys you named did not make an “impact” you literally named Kyle Kenard who has 15 damn tackles. Are you even being serious with your replies?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 11900

11/16 is not 73%. It’s 68% smh