Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Attachments

• CD9FF9E0-4600-4450-A911-3170B282DB82.png
    CD9FF9E0-4600-4450-A911-3170B282DB82.png
    617.1 KB · Views: 37

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Could you find one of those posts? I'd be curious as to who said that. I've seen no one blame CPJ for where we are. There is an acknowledgement among reasonable fans that the transition would be difficult, but I have seen precious few blame CPJ for where we are today, and for sure I've seen no one say it would be 7 years CPJs fault...
You and I are not reading the same posts then.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You really don't understand college football. You have a lot of company on this board though.

If you look at the all ACC first and second team OL this year, every one of them was at least a third year player. We had one guy-Minihan-who fit that description, got significant playing time and was recruited by the last staff. The last staff did not leave behind talented guys who would be Jrs and Srs. The only Collins HS recruits on the team this year at OL were FR. Experience and physical maturity are important on the OL. Yet, at the end of the year we were starting a true FR, a walk on and another FR who was a second year player.

And yes, that's due to last staff's recruiting failures in large part, but not totally. The type of tackles that their offense used are different body types than pass blocking tackles. Still, the lack of players and depth at C and G is due to the last staff. (Some of the problem was Key's insistence on going too hard in practice and getting guys injured--when we have no depth. Brent Key--you aren't in Tuscaloosa anymore)

College football team differences are far more about the disparity in the LOS players than the ability of skill players. UNC is a perfect example. The media, who doesn't understand college football either, picked them as a top 10 preseason team because of Sam Howell. Howell is a good QB, but UNC was a 6-7 team because the OL wasn't very good (nor was the defense). Tech beating them really wasn't a fluke--we were pretty healthy early in the season, and UNC wasn't very good--at OL or on D.
That’s all very reasonable and I could be persuaded by your argument. The only fly in the ointment for me is going from a 7 win team to a 3 win team with essentially the same players. That is too big of a fall off in results in my opinion to blame it on previous players. Then to repeat that pattern 3 years in a row tells me something else is going on.

But I’m willing to see it your way for now. But if we can’t win 7 games next year I think the evidence will be in that this is more than a transition problem.

Buzzbait.

Georgia Tech Fan
Gailey's offense might have been basic, but the defense raised a lot of eyebrows. Other coaches called the Gailey (Tenuta) defense "gimmicky" just like the Flexbone.
Just compare the winning percentages between Gailey and CPJ. Gailey wasn't even close. Plus Georgia Tech ended up losing scholarships because of Gailey's program, which put CPJ behind the eight ball the moment he stepped on the campus.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just compare the winning percentages between Gailey and CPJ. Gailey wasn't even close. Plus Georgia Tech ended up losing scholarships because of Gailey's program, which put CPJ behind the eight ball the moment he stepped on the campus.
I think the reason people tired of Gailey was that he never seemed to win games that were important. His winning percentage seemed to always be built on games that didn’t lead to anything -like getting state bragging rights, or going to a major bowl or winning the ACC.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You probably won’t read this but you probably should considering your lack of actual schematic knowledge

Very interesting, the "Mad Scientist" coached every position at one time or another giving him a unique perspective. Mississippi State probably will not win any SEC or national championships but I would bet that SEC West coaches collectively went "No! No!, anybody but him" when the Maroon hired Leach.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well that would be a terrible argument and would love to hear your thesis on why Nebraska sucks 20 years later lol
My thesis is that Nebraska had the misfortune of having a series of mediocre coaches that would have been fine with great recruiting but that slipped also. Nebraska and Tennessee are two formerly great programs that have discovered the way down is a whole lot faster than the way up. It only takes a couple of bad coaches to fall into a decade of irrelevance for teams without the usual fertile recruiting grounds of a typical factory. Between the two, if I had to guess, I would surmise that Tennessee would be the one to bounce back first. That said, I think Nebraska did the smart thing to retain Frost but that is just me.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So did Muschamp win the Mayo bowl today ?
Got to hand it to Beamer for guts. To sit there and allow several gallons of mayo to be dumped over you is ... yuck. But UNC needs an influx of something or other. To get wiped out by a South Carolina team that lost 30=0 to Clemson is unforgivable.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Very interesting, the "Mad Scientist" coached every position at one time or another giving him a unique perspective. Mississippi State probably will not win any SEC or national championships but I would bet that SEC West coaches collectively went "No! No!, anybody but him" when the Maroon hired Leach.
Fun article.

I suspect that other coaches will “gang up on” Leach to try to neutralize his impact. Not unlike the way Duke and uga practiced “year round” for their one game with Tech while other coaches worked the refs about cut blocking for weeks prior to a game or negatively recruited “the high school offense.”

I used to love the variety of offenses offered at both the pro and college level but a dull uniformity has crept in the last couple of decades or more. Opposing coaches definitely prefer not having any “renegade” offenses to prepare for.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Many of the posters on this forum are really good with quantification and analytics. Query: How much football does Collins have to learn in the next 8 months to put a team on the field that can save his job?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Many of the posters on this forum are really good with quantification and analytics. Query: How much football does Collins have to learn in the next 8 months to put a team on the field that can save his job?
Good question.

I’m not the one to answer your question but I would love the answer. Collins is a puzzle to me. Was his past success due to inheriting good talent, following a good coach with a sound system, being surrounded by better staff, not being at any one place long enough to get a fair read on his true ability?

Did he get too focused on culture and ignore coaching (which he has suggested)? Does he just not possess the organizational skills necessary to be a head coach?

I would be very interested in what his defenders would say, especially those that you characterize as having acute analytical skills for the game of football.

As it stands now it looks like Collins is missing a lot of the details of coaching. Is that a mistake he knows how to clean up? I certainly hope so.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Since 2020 Tech has signed (or currently committed for the 22 class) more 4 star players than: Michigan State, Virginia, Pitt, Arizona State, Iowa, Iowa State, Cinicinnati, UCLA, Nebraska, South Carolina, Baylor, Texas Tech, and Stanford just to name a few. Acquiring talent is not the problem at all. The problem is developing that talent and putting them in the right places to be successful during games.

Only 1 of those 13 players has transferred, and with Bryce Gowdy’s tragedy only 2 of them aren’t on the roster. The problem isn’t keeping talent, either.
Just wanted to say this is the post of this thread and really takes the GT has to do something different argument and COMPLETELY annihilates it.

My post on here aren’t so much anti Johnson or pro Collins. They are about combatting the narrative mentioned above which is one of the most defeatist mindset I’ve ever seen a fan base have.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to say this is the post of this thread and really takes the GT has to do something different argument and COMPLETELY annihilates it.
My post on here aren’t so much anti Johnson or pro Collins. They are about combatting the narrative mentioned above which is one of the most defeatist mindset I’ve ever seen a fan base have.

Do you realize we are at huge disadvantage compared to the Fridgen years? In 2000 Ralph was the highest paid assistant in college football making 200k a year. To put in perspective our assistant coaches now are on par with Wake Forest. You can’t expect to spend less than big time programs and run a similar offense as everyone else in the top 25 and get better results.