Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I can only think of a handful of my posts that have ever been deleted and all of them was because I quoted someone that crossed the line and my posts were just fratricide.

As long as you don't do personal attacks on other posters (Even when they are obvious idiots), politics or personally attack players other than on field performance criticism then you will generally be fine. The staff here has been clear and consistent in my opinion.

I mean I have been a staunch anti CGC since day one and I have not held back in my posts until now and my posts were not deleted because I followed the rules.

Now some other posters want any dissent from their world view to be deleted, but they just have to deal with hearing the truth even if they dont want to believe the truth of it. Hell, I dont want all this truth crap to be true and I dont want to have to hear it for my Jackets! But it is what it is, probably an increadable stupid hire compounded with the AD not taking a more active role somewhere in the 2nd year as well as doing a better job vetting the coaching hires. If we had brought in a more proven head coach then it is not the AD's job to help but in this case we had a complete unproven P5 coach. So tighter reins were inorder until he could prove himself. Failures all over the place.
And no mean nicknames, and you are good to go. :)

Cause, "sticks and stones will hurt my bones, but names will never hurt......" Wait, that is wrong, at least here. :)

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinion about CGC, I'm saying at this point, a month after the season is over, after staff changes have been made, and he's still going to be our coach next year, your drive-by snarky comments about our coaching staff (or head coach) aren't beneficial and are obstructive to others moving on. At this point, there's nothing to be gained by continuing to pound on CGC because it's not going to change anything. If you don't get that, well, then I guess we can just agree to disagree.

I have no intention of blocking you over this because I find your comments generally interesting. I'm just getting tired of the snark when it benefits nothing.
Snarky or no, the record is there: five years head ball coach, two of those at a mid-level program, and he is 24-35. The "goal" next year seems to be to win five -- five -- games, to be sure a substantial improvement from a run of three threes. Collins is an example of a guy who learned one lesson 22 times (maybe it is 27 now) and peaked two years into a career. To compensate he does the usual and talks as great game. He seems to be good at that. Now whether this does anybody any good I don't know. But if the Tech AD doesn't read message boards to get a feel for his fan base, then tank the program, go to club football, and admit we can't compete. I just want to hear the AD say it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Snarky or no, the record is there: five years head ball coach, two of those at a mid-level program, and he is 24-35. The "goal" next year seems to be to win five -- five -- games, to be sure a substantial improvement from a run of three threes. Collins is an example of a guy who learned one lesson 22 times (maybe it is 27 now) and peaked two years into a career. To compensate he does the usual and talks as great game. He seems to be good at that. Now whether this does anybody any good I don't know. But if the Tech AD doesn't read message boards to get a feel for his fan base, then tank the program, go to club football, and admit we can't compete. I just want to hear the AD say it.
I'm not arguing whether you're right or wrong. Everything you say is true (or not true), but it doesn't matter. It's not going to make him NOT our coach next year. Nothing is going to change with respect to him between now and next September. That's the point. You continue to ***** about the coach as if it's going to change something in the next 9-10 months; it won't. So, why not let the vitriol go until, say, late September/early October when it's going to actually mean something. By continuing this, all you do is sour other fans or prospective fans that come on this site.

Having said that, I realize what thread this has been moved to. I am not reading this thread and I've "ignored" the OP because I don't want to see this post in my feed. Nothing against the OP, per se. So, you guys have at it in this thread, just don't bring me back in by quoting my comments. I'm happy to continue to explain my point of view, but I think most on this thread aren't interested in anything other than trashing the HC, whether it's fruitful or harmful.

But, remember, my original comment was in response to someone claiming that Gibbs left because he wasn't getting coached (and then the goalposts moved to Collins wasn't coaching Gibbs up) in the thread about Gibbs going to Alabama.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm not arguing whether you're right or wrong. Everything you say is true (or not true), but it doesn't matter. It's not going to make him NOT our coach next year. Nothing is going to change with respect to him between now and next September. That's the point. You continue to ***** about the coach as if it's going to change something in the next 9-10 months; it won't. So, why not let the vitriol go until, say, late September/early October when it's going to actually mean something. By continuing this, all you do is sour other fans or prospective fans that come on this site.

Having said that, I realize what thread this has been moved to. I am not reading this thread and I've "ignored" the OP because I don't want to see this post in my feed. Nothing against the OP, per se. So, you guys have at it in this thread, just don't bring me back in by quoting my comments. I'm happy to continue to explain my point of view, but I think most on this thread aren't interested in anything other than trashing the HC, whether it's fruitful or harmful.

But, remember, my original comment was in response to someone claiming that Gibbs left because he wasn't getting coached (and then the goalposts moved to Collins wasn't coaching Gibbs up) in the thread about Gibbs going to Alabama.
Im just mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Im just mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore.
I resonate with this sentiment. I've very unhappy with where we are as a program. I expected better. I know that sounds incongruent with my previous comments. But, as I said in another thread, I'm a realist on the inside and an optimist on the outside when it comes to GT Sports.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Since CGC will not be fired this year, I think it's time to lock this thread. It no longer serves any useful purpose except to entertain UGA fans and those who will use it to recruit against us.

We can pick it up again next fall if need be. But for now, it would be better to focus on how best to play the hand we've been dealt for the upcoming season.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Since CGC will not be fired this year, I think it's time to lock this thread. It no longer serves any useful purpose except to entertain UGA fans and those who will use it to recruit against us.

We can pick it up again next fall if need be. But for now, it would be better to focus on how best to play the hand we've been dealt for the upcoming season.
I hear you, but without this thread, it spreads into other threads. This is the quarantine thread

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

If you think UGA fans care about us at all at this point then you are sadly mistaken.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but that was when we had a coach who was actually passionate about winning and at halftime of his first game against them lit into the Jackets with fire and brimstone, thus turning the whole qame around. Now we are more likely to hear about culture.
Also back when the 2 programs were relatively comparable as far as resources, facilities, support, and talent are concerned. Since that game the 2 programs have been on completely separate paths.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Also back when the 2 programs were relatively comparable as far as resources, facilities, support, and talent are concerned. Since that game the 2 programs have been on completely separate paths.
This is true. But the first six or seven minutes of the second half of the game Johnson's first year were dazzling and an astonishing display of Johnson's offense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Over Christmas my daughter shared with me a video about “above the line” leadership. She and her colleagues jokingly refer to it as “toxic positivity.”

I had no idea that this was an idea from the corporate world.

A few things struck me about it. First, I remember people being promoted back in the day, not because they were good at their job but because they were good at brown nosing and spouting the company line. “Above the line” sure looks like it could become another version of that.

Second, “above the line” is supposed to make you less defensive, losing your need to be right, open to learning new things. The problem with that is “management” has a vested interest in being right and the rules about being open to new things is rarely a two way street. “Above the line” looks like it could become a lethally effective power play to keep workers subservient.

Lastly, CGC does not seem to exhibit “above the line” leadership characteristics. He insists on his own view of reality and seems determined to be right. He does not seem to take in new information or learn from mistakes. His body language in press conferences seems defensive.

I guess where I am with this is trying to decide if CGC is not practicing what he preaches or if “above the line” is just the latest really bad corporate speak that will eventually fade away like many other management styles.