Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No. I think anyone who had played competitive anything in their life will say they good coaching is not synonymous with success and vice-versa. One can lead to the other, but they are definitely decoupled.

Normally I qualify this by saying it’s my opinion. But I’m this case, I’m pretty much going with “it’s a fact.”

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Again, you’re just being salty and moving the goalposts. You said he went to be taught by a real coach. That’s been shown to either be a lie (if you agree that CTC was a good coach) or you’re just looking to be snarky because you don’t like CGC. Either way, it just shows you to be petty. Let go of the hate; it doesn’t do our program any good for “fans” to continually denigrate the coaching staff. They’ll either turn things around or they’ll be gone. Support the program you profess to love and stop being an obstacle.
Having a 9-25 record is an obstacle, not me on this message board. Losing your best player (Gibbs) is an obstacle, not me. I said that Gibbs will be coached by someone who knows what he's doing. I clarified that I was talking about Collins, not Choice. I don't "hate" or dislike Collins as a person. I just think he's not a good head coach. His record here proves it. If you want to ignore his actual record then that's on you. But I'm free to criticize his losing coaching record if I want to. Who are you to tell me how I should be as a fan? If you don't like me saying Collins is not a good head coach, you can block or ignore me.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Having a 9-25 record is an obstacle, not me on this message board. Losing your best player (Gibbs) is an obstacle, not me. I said that Gibbs will be coached by someone who knows what he's doing. I clarified that I was talking about Collins, not Choice. I don't "hate" or dislike Collins as a person. I just think he's not a good head coach. His record here proves it. If you want to ignore his actual record then that's on you. But I'm free to criticize his losing coaching record if I want to. Who are you to tell me how I should be as a fan? If you don't like me saying Collins is not a good head coach, you can block or ignore me.
This is where u get to take your opinion of collins to the next level.
level. As we all think about firing collins shouldn't discuss what we want pay for a coach to lead us.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I love how the guy claims “We can’t move forward making inappropriate comments towards our head coach.” How about we move the program forward by not getting torched by half the schedule. It’s funny because most Tech fans I know have an elitist view of themselves from working hard to get where they are. Yet we somehow make excuses for a coach with a 9-25 record. I wonder if a CEO of a company would be given 4 years with a tanking stock price and plummeting sales…

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I love how the guy claims “We can’t move forward making inappropriate comments towards our head coach.” How about we move the program forward by not getting torched by half the schedule. It’s funny because most Tech fans I know have an elitist view of themselves from working hard to get where they are. Yet we somehow make excuses for a coach with a 9-25 record. I wonder if a CEO of a company would be given 4 years with a tanking stock price and plummeting sales…
Not the same at all. A public traded company has more at stake and has the resources to make these changes. GT, on the other hand, has neither at this point. As much as I’d hate it, we’d still be GT with a ****ty football team.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This thread IMHO has turned more about what all is wrong and actually discussing some progress with how those broken things "may" be getting fixed than an actual 304 pages of wanting to fire him now except for a tiny majority.

Most of us realize our (GT) limitations and recognize it is best to make it through 2022 and hope there is finally real progress with CGC becoming a real P5 coach instead of a wooden puppet coach and having a set of assistants that can pull off the most difficult transition ever between a complete loser crap pile of a team 2019-2022 into a division contender and bowl playing team. I think we have the skill set for it now. Do we have the coaches? 2022 is the year. One way or another and i will support him through it (Or most of it ,until it is obvious it is more smoke and mirrors about 75% through it is all I can stand)

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Not the same at all. A public traded company has more at stake and has the resources to make these changes. GT, on the other hand, has neither at this point. As much as I’d hate it, we’d still be GT with a ****ty football team.
You’re saying all public traded companies are equal? So a growth company has the same resources of Microsoft? No.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’ve had enough of my posts deleted that I mostly stopped posting here.

/
This is how things should be handled imo. We have been upfront about not trying to cater to everyone's wishes here. There are plenty of other options out there and I think if one seeks (it isn't difficult if you have Google and the internet) they will find a board that best suits their needs. Those who compain often and bitterly while posting? it's hard to take them seriously in light of this fact.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinion about CGC, I'm saying at this point, a month after the season is over, after staff changes have been made, and he's still going to be our coach next year, your drive-by snarky comments about our coaching staff (or head coach) aren't beneficial and are obstructive to others moving on. At this point, there's nothing to be gained by continuing to pound on CGC because it's not going to change anything. If you don't get that, well, then I guess we can just agree to disagree.

I have no intention of blocking you over this because I find your comments generally interesting. I'm just getting tired of the snark when it benefits nothing.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinion about CGC, I'm saying at this point, a month after the season is over, after staff changes have been made, and he's still going to be our coach next year, your drive-by snarky comments about our coaching staff (or head coach) aren't beneficial and are obstructive to others moving on. At this point, there's nothing to be gained by continuing to pound on CGC because it's not going to change anything. If you don't get that, well, then I guess we can just agree to disagree.

I have no intention of blocking you over this because I find your comments generally interesting. I'm just getting tired of the snark when it benefits nothing.
Again, for everyone in this thread, my original response came from a wholly different threat about a wholly different topic, so when this got moved to this thread, it changed the whole complexion of the discussion.

I realize this thread is specifically about the head coach and people's unhappiness about where we are and where we should be. Part of the reason this probably got moved here is that these types of comments are filling up the other threads, as well.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

You know what else benefits nothing? Lecturing snarky people who aren't going to listen to you anyways. At this point you're as responsible for the life of this thread as anyone here....

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Let go of the hate; it doesn’t do our program any good for “fans” to continually denigrate the coaching staff. They’ll either turn things around or they’ll be gone. Support the program you profess to love and stop being an obstacle.
Now wait just a minute. There's a difference between frustration with continuing failure and hate. There's also a difference between justifiable criticism of a failing coaching staff and "denigrating" said staff. Indeed, I would say that both forms of criticism are a sign of support for Tech's football program and that accepting outright failure is a sign that the "fan" in question has simply given up on trying to improve results. You seemed to be saying that trying to make it clear that you don't accept present trends - and I know you don't, btw - should be abandoned for waiting for events.

Well, that's one way to see our situation; the powers that be are going to give Collins another year, no matter what. Personally, however, I'm doing what little I can to convey to our AD that I don't want to see our football program continuing to decline. This forum - and I'll bet it is monitored by the AD regularly - is one place to do just that. That is supporting the program I love.

slugboy

Staff member
Nothing anyone says on this message board is beneficial or constructive. We are fans of a team, nothing we say matters. 100 posts complaining about CGC or 100 posts praising him all have the same result, nothing.

(click on the link so they get ad revenue that's meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Plus, there's much more than I pasted here)

A84F6F14-A430-4526-B99F-7CF1EA2D8BFF.jpeg

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This is how things should be handled imo. We have been upfront about not trying to cater to everyone's wishes here. There are plenty of other options out there and I think if one seeks (it isn't difficult if you have Google and the internet) they will find a board that best suits their needs. Those who compain often and bitterly while posting? it's hard to take them seriously in light of this fact.
I can only think of a handful of my posts that have ever been deleted and all of them was because I quoted someone that crossed the line and my posts were just fratricide.

As long as you don't do personal attacks on other posters (Even when they are obvious idiots), politics or personally attack players other than on field performance criticism then you will generally be fine. The staff here has been clear and consistent in my opinion.

I mean I have been a staunch anti CGC since day one and I have not held back in my posts until now and my posts were not deleted because I followed the rules.

Now some other posters want any dissent from their world view to be deleted, but they just have to deal with hearing the truth even if they dont want to believe the truth of it. Hell, I dont want all this truth crap to be true and I dont want to have to hear it for my Jackets! But it is what it is, probably an increadable stupid hire compounded with the AD not taking a more active role somewhere in the 2nd year as well as doing a better job vetting the coaching hires. If we had brought in a more proven head coach then it is not the AD's job to help but in this case we had a complete unproven P5 coach. So tighter reins were inorder until he could prove himself. Failures all over the place.