Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

slugboy

Staff member
Over Christmas my daughter shared with me a video about “above the line” leadership. She and her colleagues jokingly refer to it as “toxic positivity.”

I had no idea that this was an idea from the corporate world.

A few things struck me about it. First, I remember people being promoted back in the day, not because they were good at their job but because they were good at brown nosing and spouting the company line. “Above the line” sure looks like it could become another version of that.

Second, “above the line” is supposed to make you less defensive, losing your need to be right, open to learning new things. The problem with that is “management” has a vested interest in being right and the rules about being open to new things is rarely a two way street. “Above the line” looks like it could become a lethally effective power play to keep workers subservient.

Lastly, CGC does not seem to exhibit “above the line” leadership characteristics. He insists on his own view of reality and seems determined to be right. He does not seem to take in new information or learn from mistakes. His body language in press conferences seems defensive.

I guess where I am with this is trying to decide if CGC is not practicing what he preaches or if “above the line” is just the latest really bad corporate speak that will eventually fade away like many other management styles.
For what it’s worth, I like the “Above the Line” idea. It’s that coaches won’t play favorites and if you’re good enough to make a difference, you’ll get snaps and get better.

The other plus is that coaches have multiple experienced players. If you don’t spread the game reps out, you have to start a starter who is 85% healthy over a backup who is 100% healthy.

What I’ve seen is that to start off the season, the difference between a “starter” and their “backup” might not be much. After several games where the starter has all the reps, the backup has fallen behind and the transfer portal beckons. The difference between 100 and 110 game reps isn’t going to be much, but the difference between 0-10 or 10-20 game reps is going to make a big difference to a player’s development.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
For what it’s worth, I like the “Above the Line” idea. It’s that coaches won’t play favorites and if you’re good enough to make a difference, you’ll get snaps and get better.

The other plus is that coaches have multiple experienced players. If you don’t spread the game reps out, you have to start a starter who is 85% healthy over a backup who is 100% healthy.

What I’ve seen is that to start off the season, the difference between a “starter” and their “backup” might not be much. After several games where the starter has all the reps, the backup has fallen behind and the transfer portal beckons. The difference between 100 and 110 game reps isn’t going to be much, but the difference between 0-10 or 10-20 game reps is going to make a big difference to a player’s development.
Yes, coaches not playing favorites would be unique. Unusual. Unheard of. Unlikely.

But since I am not in practice I don’t know. Maybe the players who started really were the ones who kept learning and improving. That’s a really depressing thought.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Over Christmas my daughter shared with me a video about “above the line” leadership. She and her colleagues jokingly refer to it as “toxic positivity.”

I had no idea that this was an idea from the corporate world.

A few things struck me about it. First, I remember people being promoted back in the day, not because they were good at their job but because they were good at brown nosing and spouting the company line. “Above the line” sure looks like it could become another version of that.

Second, “above the line” is supposed to make you less defensive, losing your need to be right, open to learning new things. The problem with that is “management” has a vested interest in being right and the rules about being open to new things is rarely a two way street. “Above the line” looks like it could become a lethally effective power play to keep workers subservient.

Lastly, CGC does not seem to exhibit “above the line” leadership characteristics. He insists on his own view of reality and seems determined to be right. He does not seem to take in new information or learn from mistakes. His body language in press conferences seems defensive.

I guess where I am with this is trying to decide if CGC is not practicing what he preaches or if “above the line” is just the latest really bad corporate speak that will eventually fade away like many other management styles.

OR, maybe he doesn't use the phrase "Above the Line" the same way the do in the corporate world.

I worked for a company once that had a similar philosophy installed called "Positive Behavior Reinforcement." As managers, we had to document that we were having positive conversations with our direct reports on what they were doing right. It took no time at all before the work force started calling them the sunshine sessions. Toxic positivity is a real thing. However, CGCs ATL is a depth chart tool that replaces an entrenched starter mentality with a "ready to play" mentality. While I am not a fan of the ATL, it's a completely different animal that the programs mentioned above...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Just going to leave this here, as it will turn into a Fire CGC thread anyway.

Only two ACC schools got an F, I'll let you guess who they were
From the article:
Georgia Tech | F — There was some hope that Georgia Tech would take a step forward in 2021, but that did not really happen. The Yellow Jackets were 3-3 on Oct. 10, but they closed the season on a nine-game losing streak, and they lost their final two games by a combined score of 100-0.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
From the article:
Georgia Tech | F — There was some hope that Georgia Tech would take a step forward in 2021, but that did not really happen. The Yellow Jackets were 3-3 on Oct. 10, but they closed the season on a nine-game losing streak, and they lost their final two games by a combined score of 100-0.
Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark. Amazing the coach is still here.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Just going to leave this here, as it will turn into a Fire CGC thread anyway.

Only two ACC schools got an F, I'll let you guess who they were
Thanks for adding some raw meat.

Only really good team was pitt w sr ol and qb who came in second in H.
i wonder what Miami and gt would have looked like if they traded backup qbs . The miami back up was amazing.
Will be a while before we have that kind of depth at qb.

Oops!! Collins failure to think long term has been his down fall .

He addressed some culture issues, brand ( hc says gt is a great place) as well as recruiting ( relentless effort/social media) . This is a good foundation.

When i have time i will add more raw meat about how silly things that collins has over emphasised have wasted staff time. To many rabbit trails

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
From the article:
9 game losing streak? Is typical of their reporting?

slugboy

Staff member
9 game losing streak? Is typical of their reporting?
Did we secretly have a 15 game schedule?

I mean, other than that they got it right….

Ehhh, I found the Duke and GT grades lazy. They were shorter than the others, as if the writer didn’t bother looking at the teams. They also didn’t grade Duke on a curve at all.

I agree with the letter grade. I just think a writer who cared about the topic could have made some reasonable criticisms.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here is a great way to add energy to this thread.
What game made u know we need to fire Collins.
U get an F if u say All of them.

I will go first
DUKE win on miricale pass. Thats fine. No issues. But go on tv in post game and say " gt has played grest offensive teams and Duke is a great offenvie team". I caught hell about that from wife. Then she shared it at thanksgiving family reunion. Yes, duke is a great offensive team when they play your team

Thought experiment - If the last second pass was incomplete and if recruiting showed weakness would u fire collins. I say no - not yet.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They are journalist, not mathematicians or GT Grads.
Dunno, but they got the grade right.
I mean, other than that they got it right….
Did we secretly have a 15 game schedule?
You don't have to be a mathematician to count from one to six.

In my wife's math classes she would give this answer an F. There is no partial credit for the wrong answer. And that is the single biggest point he made in that summary.

So, I give 247 a low grade in their sports coverage.

Having said that, I think we had a very disappointing season. I do not argue with them about that. But, we were closer to the correct answer in six of our losses than this writer was in that summary.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You don't have to be a mathematician to count from one to six.

In my wife's math classes she would give this answer an F. There is no partial credit for the wrong answer. And that is the single biggest point he made in that summary.

So, I give 247 a low grade in their sports coverage.

Having said that, I think we had a very disappointing season. I do not argue with them about that. But, we were closer to the correct answer in six of our losses than this writer was in that summary.
Fs all around.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OR, maybe he doesn't use the phrase "Above the Line" the same way the do in the corporate world.

I worked for a company once that had a similar philosophy installed called "Positive Behavior Reinforcement." As managers, we had to document that we were having positive conversations with our direct reports on what they were doing right. It took no time at all before the work force started calling them the sunshine sessions. Toxic positivity is a real thing. However, CGCs ATL is a depth chart tool that replaces an entrenched starter mentality with a "ready to play" mentality. While I am not a fan of the ATL, it's a completely different animal that the programs mentioned above...
Positive behavioral reinforcement is certainly different from “above the line.” I just don’t know if the latter is a gimmick or not. The former is built on solid psychological research but the problem is that lay people don’t have the clinical training to implement it with any effectiveness and it usually has the opposite of the desired effect.

“Above the line” is supposed to teach people to take responsibility for their own outcomes, inculcate team spirit and give an “in the moment” assessment of whether or not someone is making progress. I’m just not sure it’s that simple. Everyone is motivated differently and we each have different learning styles. To me being a good coach is recognizing that rather than a “one philosophy fits all” approach.

But I freely admit that I’m not in practice and have no idea what the nuances of the Tech locker room are like.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I will go first
DUKE win on miricale pass. Thats fine. No issues. But go on tv in post game and say " gt has played grest offensive teams and Duke is a great offenvie team". I caught hell about that from wife. Then she shared it at thanksgiving family reunion. Yes, duke is a great offensive team when they play your team

Thought experiment - If the last second pass was incomplete and if recruiting showed weakness would u fire collins. I say no - not yet.
Virginia Tech did it for me. Just an insipid, vapid effort all around against a team we should have beaten.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I will go first

Started after the first game all winter and summer to get ready. Then I backed off Kennesaw State, Clemson. and North Carolina game but by the end of the Boston College game I gave up on CGC being or getting any better.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
From the article:
At least we didn’t get a “G”, like, “Gee, I can’t imagine why they didn’t fire, well, you know…”