Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he should hire an outside consultant to do the review like a sports version of McKinsey & Co
thats what got us into this mess

collins was promoted using some unproven analytic study by an outside stats firm; that data was a factor, maybe not the only one, but was a definite factor in Stansbury hiring collins

yes folks, we tried using coach analytics to make the hire and it doesn't work. There is more to coaching than just that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
thats what got us into this mess

collins was promoted using some unproven analytic study by an outside stats firm; that data was a factor, maybe not the only one, but was a definite factor in Stansbury hiring collins

yes folks, we tried using coach analytics to make the hire and it doesn't work. There is more to coaching than just that.
There’s nothing worse than Engineers that have bad analytical models. You gotta have enough people surrounding them that know what they’re doing otherwise you’re screwed.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Quitting being a jerk that thinks he knows it all?

Nope. That guy might be able to bite his tongue for a while, but it never, ever lasts.
As the father of five, I speak a lot in platitudes. I've said frequently that to consistently humble one's self is one of the most difficult things to do in life. I fail at it pretty regularly. I guess we'll see if CGC and TStan can demonstrate some needed self-awareness at this critical juncture.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone have a read on student attendance? I’ve been to every home game this season and it looks like attendance is terrible. Yeah, I get it, we’re bad but tickets are FREE.

At this rate, where will we be in 10 or 20 years from now when all of us are old and these students are in the prime of their working careers? Do you think they’ll donate money when they didn’t even go to a game as a student?

We need to give away pizzas or tee shirts or anything to get the students in the games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Actually the players and recruits are so committed to the team and the culture that even firing Geoff would have no effect
I hope this is correct. I know some kids sign their NLI thinking the next thing they sign will be their NFL contract. Hopefully most of our recruits are signed on for the free education and the opportunity to play football. But, in the end, it has to be fun. Losing consistently loses its appeal after a while.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
That was under Gailey
Now I’m showing my age about my distain for the stat regarding bowl attendance. All it takes to go to a ball game is .500 record……. 50%. Paul Johnson was the laziest human alive. Go to the Cherokee driving club and see how many rounds of golf he logged in. It was astounding!!! People thought he was an offensive genius. He was actually really lazy. He didn’t wanna learn anything new. Mason is a young man that can play in any scheme. And the best PJ could do were three star players. The record for his wins and losses were as good as it would ever get under a severely outdated offense. He was a lazy, lazy man. But that is enough about a bargain era that headaches place for excuse makers saying that George tech could not compete just because they require students to actually work for a degree.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Does anyone have a read on student attendance? I’ve been to every home game this season and it looks like attendance is terrible. Yeah, I get it, we’re bad but tickets are FREE.

At this rate, where will we be in 10 or 20 years from now when all of us are old and these students are in the prime of their working careers? Do you think they’ll donate money when they didn’t even go to a game as a student?

We need to give away pizzas or tee shirts or anything to get the students in the games.
Just an eyeball guess but student attendance seemed pretty decent. Agree they should bribe them more. Maybe offer a raffle for free tuition at the beginning, middle & end of each quarter? Open it up to the entire stadium and include parents. Have to be in your seat to win.

TheWhiteKenyan

Jolly Good Fellow

Student section was pretty much packed in the first half, granted it was probably 20% UGA students, but student attendance has been solid for the first halves of most home games

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Now I’m showing my age about my distain for the stat regarding bowl attendance. All it takes to go to a ball game is .500 record……. 50%. Paul Johnson was the laziest human alive. Go to the Cherokee driving club and see how many rounds of golf he logged in. It was astounding!!! People thought he was an offensive genius. He was actually really lazy. He didn’t wanna learn anything new. Mason is a young man that can play in any scheme. And the best PJ could do were three star players. The record for his wins and losses were as good as it would ever get under a severely outdated offense. He was a lazy, lazy man. But that is enough about a bargain era that headaches place for excuse makers saying that George tech could not compete just because they require students to actually work for a degree.
Bravo sir for having one of the most scorching hot takes of this hundreds of pages long thread!

How should we judge CGC by your new laziness metric? Seems to me like there’s nothing lazier than not fixing simple substitution, play call timing, and secondary communication issues. But I don’t think Collins really likes golf so he’s a hard working winner.

Personally I don’t get the logical consistency of saying he’s lazy and only winning 0.500 with 3-star recruits but also not an offensive genius. We’ve seen the floor to be lower with higher rated recruits but clearly we’ve ascended to a new level of genius I can’t comprehend.

Keeping on the subject of evaluating the current coaching staff, I think realistically GT can achieve a bowl game most years, beat national championship level teams and win the ACC every couple of years when we have a senior team with a little higher talent than typical. We’ve failed to achieve that or to show positive trends in most facets of the game. That leads me to believe we need to change at least some aspect of how we’re coaching these kids.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe he should hire an outside consultant to do the review like a sports version of McKinsey & Co
I’ve know some brilliant people over at McKinsey. When I’ve seen them do an analysis, they do detail problems, but often it’s just the problems that the C-level want to work on, and ignores a lot that they won’t be receptive to.

We shouldn’t be that picky, and should honestly prioritize what’s important, even if it’s not what we’re most comfortable with.

My perspective has changed in the last few weeks. I thought we were getting close to being OK on offense. There were a small number of missed plays that were keeping us from winning close games. But, these last two weeks of ineptitude is simply embarrassing as a Tech person. I cycle with guys from Va Tech, Penn State, Texas, and Alabama. I don't want to show up today for our weekly ride. It's bad enough that my wife gets to watch her alma mater (App State) in the Sun Belt championship game while I have to pretend to be content cheering for her team.
On a day like this, show up for the bike ride and hang with your friends. It’ll be good. If they’re solid, they’ll just nod and ride bikes with you. Maybe even wear a Tech shirt if you want.

It might be too late to make your ride, but it would be a boss move.

Just an eyeball guess but student attendance seemed pretty decent. Agree they should bribe them more. Maybe offer a raffle for free tuition at the beginning, middle & end of each quarter? Open it up to the entire stadium and include parents. Have to be in your seat to win.

The silver lining for next year is that you’ll never have a better opportunity to rework your ticketing strategy and try something bold. Create a supporter’s section. Steal ideas that work elsewhere. We’ll need to.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My perspective has changed in the last few weeks. I thought we were getting close to being OK on offense. There were a small number of missed plays that were keeping us from winning close games. But, these last two weeks of ineptitude is simply embarrassing as a Tech person. I cycle with guys from Va Tech, Penn State, Texas, and Alabama. I don't want to show up today for our weekly ride. It's bad enough that my wife gets to watch her alma mater (App State) in the Sun Belt championship game while I have to pretend to be content cheering for her team.
I don't read too much into those two games about the offense. My understanding is that Sims and the third string QB were unavailable. Yates looked dinged up to me in the ND game. Several times he was very slow getting up and walked as though one of his hamstrings was really tight. I noticed that a little yesterday. I heard that one of the below third string QBs is on his way out, so that would only leave a walkon practice squad player to replace him.

I am not saying there are no issues with the offense, just that the last two weeks haven't been a good indicator.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We need something different that sets us apart. We had that in CPJ - unique offense, very smart game day coach. On balance he was a successful Tech head football coach. Unfortunately, we didn't have the money to support a competitive staff (esp DC). Collins is also different - his marketing approach. He may ultimately succeed, although it's not looking good if he's unable to surround himself with a much stronger staff (a la Dabo). Next time, we might want to take a look at the Wake Forest model for a possible fit at Tech. Two/three star players that stay 4 - 5 years, upper class teams. As Dave Clawson points out, Jim Grobe started this model and was successful with it - until success seduced him into trying to be like everybody else, going after 4-5 star players who were not as committed to the school. (This is what Grobe told Clawson when Clawson came to Wake.) I know this is not what some on this board want to hear, but we aren't going to be successful with a factory approach.