Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I know it's not likely. But I really hope Tstan and Collins understand how upset the fan base is right now, and hope that comes into any decisions today. Yes we need to ensure our recruits and current class stay in tact, but Collins really should look at how much he's tanked that fan base (one he used to be part of )
I'm not sure they care now.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
From where we sit, how do you measure assistant coaches at other schools? An assistant may be outstanding but his teams aren't successful for reasons unrelated to his coaching. And the inverse is also true.
then how does anyone hire. I mean by god, that is why having a good qualified head coach is so important...they can spot the good assistants and use their network to validate. CPJ had a monken and bohannon. Gailey had a couple great assistants. GOL staff...half of em became head coaches. Collins....well...there you go.

this is on the AD at this point. Because he is going to allow the same clown to make the same clown decisions

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I was told from a very reliable source that after the Notre Lame Game that Collins was to remain as head coach in name only...
He is to do no more coaching, only marketing and recruiting.

It seems that Collins was counter coaching from the sidelines for the defense and getting them confused.. when thacker would send in a play, he would tell the defense differently.

hence why out 2ndary was never where it needed to be.

Coaches will be terminated in the next few days, if not today.

If Collins is the problem, why fire coaches? Why not terminate him and promote Choice. Now on the other hand, this seems plausible because our defense was horrible.

What is the explanation of the horrible offense. I feel so bad for these players because they are better than the results on the field. The horrible offense is a direct result of a horrid offensive system and a god awful feel for the game and understanding on how to call plays.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I was told from a very reliable source that after the Notre Lame Game that Collins was to remain as head coach in name only...
He is to do no more coaching, only marketing and recruiting.

It seems that Collins was counter coaching from the sidelines for the defense and getting them confused.. when thacker would send in a play, he would tell the defense differently.

hence why out 2ndary was never where it needed to be.

Coaches will be terminated in the next few days, if not today.
This makes a lot of sense. First it gets our non-coach HC out of the mix running the team which he’s unquestionably not good at, then you bring in seasoned Coordinators that won’t tolerate being countermanded. Somebody gets to be Asst HC & that person runs the Operations. Essentially the HC, but you dangle the HC in waiting moniker. You keep the recruiting marketing, glad handing BS with the titular head (GC) & having cut the bad elements off (damn near everyone not named Choice) you now got the patient (GT Football) on the proper diet/meds to recover and become healthy again

slugboy

Staff member
name a high quality assistant that would come to GT to work for Collins when everyone on the planet knows next year is a lame duck year for both the HC And AD

I can't think of one. This reminds me of John Bond's year under Gailey....
People seem to think Nate Woody is good, and he came for Johnson’s last year. And that’s just an example from GT from 4 years ago.

I’ve argued the high-risk aspect of taking a job here next year. However, there are a lot of coaches who are smarter than their bosses and want a chance to prove it; Thacker might prove it next year somewhere else, for that matter.

If you’re an up and coming DC, you have a team that should have top half of the ACC talent but is bottom 30 in defensive stats. Regardless of the win/loss record next year and what happens with Collins, if you can get that defense up to AVERAGE in one year, you’ve got a helluva line for your resume. And a smart coach should easily be able to get that defense up to average in one year.

If you’re an up and coming OC (or and old and grizzled one), you have an offense that’s average now, and can be great if it
1. cuts down on basic mistakes
2. gets up to average in blocking
3. learns to stay ahead of the chains.
It’s the same as the DC opportunity—a smart coach should see “low hanging fruit, ready to pick”.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If you’re an up and coming OC (or and old and grizzled one), you have an offense that’s average now, and can be great if it
It’s the same as the DC opportunity—a smart coach should see “low hanging fruit, ready to pick”.
It’s not average now. Much more similar to your defensive assistant opportunity than you paint with this post. OC has a very easy task to get us to mediocre.

96th in scoring offense per game
92nd in total offense per game
100th in 3rd down conversion %
96th in 4th down conversion %
98th in red zone conversion % (122nd in RZ TD %)
99th in first downs per game

LibertyTurns

Banned
It’s not average now. Much more similar to your defensive assistant opportunity than you paint with this post. OC has a very easy task to get us to mediocre.

Those are some damn ugly numbers right there. There’s no way to hype up that pig.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I think we all agree that we need to do better in every phase of the game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
People seem to think Nate Woody is good, and he came for Johnson’s last year. And that’s just an example from GT from 4 years ago.

I’ve argued the high-risk aspect of taking a job here next year. However, there are a lot of coaches who are smarter than their bosses and want a chance to prove it; Thacker might prove it next year somewhere else, for that matter.

If you’re an up and coming DC, you have a team that should have top half of the ACC talent but is bottom 30 in defensive stats. Regardless of the win/loss record next year and what happens with Collins, if you can get that defense up to AVERAGE in one year, you’ve got a helluva line for your resume. And a smart coach should easily be able to get that defense up to average in one year.

You counter the prospect of HC being fired by offering coordinators multi year deals. That's what Nate Woody got when he came here, and it afforded him the opportunity to take an analyst position at Michigan after CPJ retired. Most assistants are normally year to year anyhow. Especially at the lower levels, there really isnt much job security for football coaches. Multi year deals for assistants is gold.

We also need to get over this "If we fire CGC now, we could lose out on a promising recruiting class." Well, that assumes the next coach even wants the same players. When we fired Chan Gailey, he had a really promising recruiting class lined up. Anyone regret losing out on that class, a class that included a future NFL QB that ended up at Duke, given we have hindsight of what CPJ was able to do? Also, the transfer portal takes the burden off of putting all your eggs in the HS recruiting basket. If there's a very good head coach willing to come to your school, you take that head coach over 1 recruiting class. You have to have confidence the next coach can recruit to his scheme and become successful.

slugboy

Staff member

For an RPO-type offense, the top two bother me the most. This is supposed to be a fast paced offense with a lot of possessions—even if we’re not scoring, we should be racking up yards.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We also need to get over this "If we fire CGC now, we could lose out on a promising recruiting class." Well, that assumes the next coach even wants the same players. When we fired Chan Gailey, he had a really promising recruiting class lined up. Anyone regret losing out on that class, a class that included a future NFL QB that ended up at Duke, given we have hindsight of what CPJ was able to do? Also, the transfer portal takes the burden off of putting all your eggs in the HS recruiting basket. If there's a very good head coach willing to come to your school, you take that head coach over 1 recruiting class. You have to have confidence the next coach can recruit to his scheme and become successful.

You hit on the biggest issue though. You don't hold off on firing Collins because of a recruiting class. You hold off on firing Collins because we would almost certainly not get a good replacement this year. It would be firing Hewitt to bring in Gregory except in this case there is no permanent roll over clause preventing the situation from getting better by waiting. There is no point in making a move this year if all it will accomplish is going from 3 wins a year to 4. When we got rid of Gailey we had a good plan and made a good hire for that plan, whether you are a fan of the option or not.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
My opinion? Zero. Every game, he said ..."We will do a top to bottom review on Monday and take appropriate action." But he never did.

Collins review:
Offense? Not so hot. Check.
Defense? Terrible. Check.
Special teams? Whatever. Check.

Top to Bottom Review complete.
Maybe he should hire an outside consultant to do the review like a sports version of McKinsey & Co

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My perspective has changed in the last few weeks. I thought we were getting close to being OK on offense. There were a small number of missed plays that were keeping us from winning close games. But, these last two weeks of ineptitude is simply embarrassing as a Tech person. I cycle with guys from Va Tech, Penn State, Texas, and Alabama. I don't want to show up today for our weekly ride. It's bad enough that my wife gets to watch her alma mater (App State) in the Sun Belt championship game while I have to pretend to be content cheering for her team.