Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Here’s the latest Suguira write up:

Re: staff changes

The write up indicates multiple changes, possibly including coordinators.

I’d recommend reading the article. It reads as if he’s triple-checked his sources and done his homework.
Based on Collins presser this week, seems like almost certain staff changes are coming.

Wonder if he's finally realized his friends and coordinators aren't cut out for this level of football. Thacker and Coach P would be good at lower tiers but not that the level we want to be at .

Thacker has only had one real good game on my books, UNC

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think it is also likely that TStan has been having informal conversations about replacements for CGC. Not saying that he is looking to replace him at the moment, but there is a decent chance at this point that he will have to next year. Also, if informal conversations turned up an opportunity for a big name coach who was willing to come here, he could take that to the donors to see if he could raise the funds for the buyout and for the big name coach. Once again, not saying that will happen but it definitely will not happen if he isn't having the discussions.

I wrote something along those lines earlier in the week regarding Dan Mullen. With respect to what you wrote, if there's an equivalent coach out there willing to come to GT (Napier, Monken, etc.) that's proven he can build a program and win, and if TStan doesn't at least explore it, that's just a dereliction of duty. IF what he said regarding high level donors willing to step up and buy CGC out is true, then all bets are off the table. I think there's an understanding that if GT can do better than CGC this offseason, there are people willing to eat the contract this year as opposed waiting for next season for the buyout decrease. That's a pretty important detail as we've been under the assumption that GT has its hands tied because of CGC's contract.

However, I don't think GT will make a move unless we know for certain we have a really good replacement in line. I don't think GT wants to take on an more expensive buyout a year early AND go through a protracted coaching search as a LOT of coaching dominos are falling with a lot of big jobs already open.

Either way, this offseason will be interesting as the complexion of our staff is most certainly changing. Whether it's just assistants and coordinators, or the entire coaching staff...we're going to find out.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Read that article this morning. Makes me wonder if CGC has already reached out and maybe gotten commitments for potential assistants and coordinators.
T stan and CGC needs to restructure there contracts to hire coordinators they are ones responsible for hiring mostly inexperienced coaching staff members. Never seen a coaching. Staff where most have under 5 years of experience. For a power 5 program That doesn’t add up.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I wrote something along those lines earlier in the week regarding Dan Mullen. With respect to what you wrote, if there's an equivalent coach out there willing to come to GT (Napier, Monken, etc.) that's proven he can build a program and win, and if TStan doesn't at least explore it, that's just a dereliction of duty. IF w hat he said regarding high level donors willing to step up and buy CGC out is true, then all bets are off the table. I think there's an understanding that if GT can do better than CGC this offseason, there are people willing to eat the contract this year as opposed waiting for next season for the buyout decrease. That's a pretty important detail as we've been under the assumption that GT has its hands tied because of CGC's contract.

However, I don't think GT will make a move unless we know for certain we have a really good replacement in line. I don't think GT wants to take on an more expensive buyout a year early AND go through a protracted coaching search as a LOT of coaching dominos are falling with a lot of big jobs already open.

Either way, this offseason will be interesting as the complexion of our staff is most certainly changing. Whether it's just assistants and coordinators, or the entire coaching staff...we're going to find out.
I'll caveat this by saying I don't believe it will happen, it is simply a what-if. If Meyer wanted to avoid getting fired from Jacksonville and was willing to take a salary cut to come to Atlanta, he would be a huge name for GT. He has some personal issues. He wouldn't stick around GT for very long until he had "health issues". Even if he was willing to take less money he would want a lot more than GT normally pays. However, as a coach who knows how to put together systems and manage gameday situations, he would be much much better than what we are witnessing now. If he did contact TStan, it would be impossible for TStan to not listen and explore such an opportunity.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'll caveat this by saying I don't believe it will happen, it is simply a what-if. If Meyer wanted to avoid getting fired from Jacksonville and was willing to take a salary cut to come to Atlanta, he would be a huge name for GT. He has some personal issues. He wouldn't stick around GT for very long until he had "health issues". Even if he was willing to take less money he would want a lot more than GT normally pays. However, as a coach who knows how to put together systems and manage gameday situations, he would be much much better than what we are witnessing now. If he did contact TStan, it would be impossible for TStan to not listen and explore such an opportunity.

The one thing that could make that scenario realistic is Meyer is familiar with GT, and his family has ties to GT. His daughter played volleyball here, and his son in law Corey Dennis (current OSU QB coach) use to play here.

Of course, Meyer is making $10+ million a year coaching for the Jaguars, and he doesn't have to recruit in the NFL. That's a LOT to give up to come to GT.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I’d love for that to happen. As much as I dislike him, give him five years and we’d be in the ACCCG at least 3 times, if not in the playoffs. Dream come true. Then we could promote one of his coordinators.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think he'd survive here. He quit at Florida because it wasn't easy going for him anymore. He probably would have survived the OSU scandal if he hadn't lost two games each of the previous two years and lost to Purdue his last year. The fact there's rampant speculation he will quit the Jags job kind of shows I'm not the only person who feels that way. He'd go 7-5 his first year, realize he can't out talent the league, and quit imo. GT is a job for coaches that are built different.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he'd survive here. He quit at Florida because it wasn't easy going for him anymore. He probably would have survived the OSU scandal if he hadn't lost two games each of the previous two years and lost to Purdue his last year. The fact there's rampant speculation he will quit the Jags job kind of shows I'm not the only person who feels that way. He'd go 7-5 his first year, realize he can't out talent the league, and quit imo. GT is a job for coaches that are built different.
He didn’t leave UF because it wasn’t easy going anymore. That incident earlier this year wasn’t a first time occurrence. His off the field issues caused them to tell him quit on your own or get fired. He is not the type person you want around your program unless you are a win at all cost and everything else be damn. Look what happened to us over basically a little offense that he would put us in a death penalty not too mention we would a few players arrested. No thank you

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So is it safe to say both Tstan and Collins careers at tech hang on next season. ? As is it seems that most of the media and fans are upset right now at the direction of the program, so unless something drastic changes within Collins staff. I don't see much changing next year
Refresh my memory. Who does TStan answer to? Is it a situation where he answers to the GTAA but they are going to back whomever the donors back?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t leave UF because it wasn’t easy going anymore. That incident earlier this year wasn’t a first time occurrence. His off the field issues caused them to tell him quit on your own or get fired. He is not the type person you want around your program unless you are a win at all cost and everything else be damn. Look what happened to us over basically a little offense that he would put us in a death penalty not too mention we would a few players arrested. No thank you

Meyer is a win at all cost coach. You know what you're getting with him: You'll have a few years of unprecedented success, followed by a bunch of off the field and player scandals. As soon as a program starts turning south, Meyer is going to leave. Hiring Meyer is literally making the deal with the devil.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Meyer is a win at all cost coach. You know what you're getting with him: You'll have a few years of unprecedented success, followed by a bunch of off the field and player scandals. As soon as a program starts turning south, Meyer is going to leave. Hiring Meyer is literally making the deal with the devil.
It might be a deal to consider right now. Do we get a couple of CFP years?