Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
One other scenario that probably isn't too realistic, but a big maybe: CGC and Mullen have a relationship. Maybe CGC talks Mullen into coming to GT to become our OC?

My only issue with this is that while Mullen would definitely be an upgrade over CDP, this wouldn't address the glaring issue on our team right now. Our defense is straight up killing us. The offensive struggles are understandable considering youth and development of the OL, but we have no excuse for a year three defense being this bad.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My only issue with this is that while Mullen would definitely be an upgrade over CDP, this wouldn't address the glaring issue on our team right now. Our defense is straight up killing us. The offensive struggles are understandable considering youth and development of the OL, but we have no excuse for a year three defense being this bad.

Luckily our DC doesn't have a big contract to buy out.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I think we were very limited by who was willing to take on the job last time, which shouldn't be a problem next time. I do hope TStan will go beyond the GT and UCF orbit when it's time for a change.
Uhm you really think people are more willing to take the job now?

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
That is exactly correct. Keep our O staff for one more year to see what they can do with more depth and experience on OL. Jettison one or more D staff due to player development regression and lack of ability to play as a cohesive unit.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
If you have to exclude multiple good seasons to make your point, your point is wrong.
Same argument can be made when people point to two outlier seasons to pretend a coach with an almost indetical Win % as Chan Gailey should be held in an elite regard. We beat UG and won an orange bowl, but we also lost Middle Tennessee St, Kansas, and Air Force. The argument that fans would trade those days for what we have now isn’t something i’d disagree with, but to pretend that Tech was set up for success from 2019 and beyond under Paul is just delusional.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
Same argument can be made when people point to two outlier seasons to pretend a coach with an almost indetical Win % as Chan Gailey should be held in an elite regard. We beat UG and won an orange bowl, but we also lost Middle Tennessee St, Kansas, and Air Force. The argument that fans would trade those days for what we have now isn’t something i’d disagree with, but to pretend that Tech was set up for success from 2019 and beyond under Paul is just delusional.
And the hysterical part of their pure delusion is that I did in fact mention those good seasons in the post they quoted. They simply ignored it because it didn't suit their narrative.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The most disappointing part about hiring Collins wasn’t Collins himself but the realization that the best coach we could attract was a mediocre coach from a G5 program. We are in even worse shape now. This experiment hasn’t been a total waste, however. I learned that good recruiting can’t overcome bad coaching but good coaching can hide bad recruiting.

I think a realistic long term goal is to consistently win 7-8 games per year and occasionally win 10+. To do that we need to find a coach that does something a bit different. Not the 3O but something that makes us tough to beat with a pro style offense. Maybe something as simple as running hurry up most of the game. We cannot play toe-to-toe against many schools so we have to make these other teams play our game. I’m remembering a game between Oregon and FSU several years ago where Oregon’s conditioning and execution gave them a 59-20 win. FSU was gassed in the first half and never recovered.
Good synopsis. Although I think being in a football rich state and a weak conference, no excuse for not winning 8-9 per year. I don’t want to be average. We’ve been average my entire 50+ years bleeding gold except for an occasional few years.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This is definitely fair. If the defense was even halfway better we likely would have won a couple more games. But at the same time, the offense hasn't been doing them any favors with all the threes and out. And while it's fair to state that the OL should struggle, I'm failing to see any real progress in that area at all. Yes, it takes time to develop, but at year three you would think the mistakes wouldn't be happening constantly throughout the game.

I think the glaring issue on our team is actually just poor leadership at multiple levels. The head coach can't manage the clock or time outs, the offensive and defensive coaches can't get play calls in on time, the upperclassmen in our secondary seem to have a trust issue...I'm sure if I wanted to perform an in-depth exercise I could expand on this list, but it just makes me upset. Meanwhile after we lose our players in interviews say things like the attitude is positive, we're still bumping to music in the weight room, etc. Look, I get that the experience should be enjoyable to some degree, but losing isn't fun. Maybe the attitude and approach should change a little bit since we don't seem to be getting results with the current model. Leaders need to emerge both on the team and on the staff or this whole project is completely doomed to fail (probably already has)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Same argument can be made when people point to two outlier seasons to pretend a coach with an almost indetical Win % as Chan Gailey should be held in an elite regard.

Not true. The overall winning percentage of GT football is .569. If you subtract the CGC years, it's .576. CPJs record was .582 at GT. Not only did he exceed the historical average, but he took us to two Orange Bowls in the process. He also owns two 11 win seasons, and in the history of GT football. 10+ wins are exceedingly rare. The fact that he did this even with a couple of mediocre seasons and one snake bit season speaks even more to how great a coach he was. It's not easy to win at schools like GT. When you can win big a few times like CPJ did it's a sign of a great coach.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
With all the comments on our threads about defense I want to try one more time to connect a few data points.

Some people say Collins is a defensive genius and point to his time at Mississippi State.

Others will point to the total trashing of that same defense by Tech in the Orange Bowl.

Some will fire back that CGC was not on the sidelines for that game having left two weeks before the game.

Totally aside from the question of whether a defense should have a total meltdown because the architect is not present for one game, this now raises the question of whether the Collins defensive resume was overrated.

Here is what we currently know. The defense has declined each year with Collins on the sideline. If Collins is a defensive genius then it begs the question as to why he would stand by passively and watch his defense crumble into a pile of dust. He either wasn’t the defensive genius he built himself up to be or he can only handle a narrowly defined role on any football staff.

The data points suggest to me that CGC is not a good manager, does not know how to divide his time between different HC responsibilities, and may in fact do better when he is not responsible for a whole program. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt on this to be sure.

Questions about whether tweaking the staff and finding people to take over various responsibilities are interesting but they beg the question of what role would CGC be good in. I think CGC could be successful in a very defined and limited role but I have never in my lifetime heard of a head coach being relegated to such a role.

To be clear, his role would be to recruit, be a cheerleader and friend to the players, and continue to promote the ATL and media presence. Perhaps he could be a little more hands on with the defense too but that is now an open question.

I don’t see how we “get from here to there” with the current head coach but that may be a lack of imagination on my part.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Meanwhile after we lose our players in interviews say things like the attitude is positive, we're still bumping to music in the weight room, etc. Look, I get that the experience should be enjoyable to some degree, but losing isn't fun. Maybe the attitude and approach should change a little bit since we don't seem to be getting results with the current model. Leaders need to emerge both on the team and on the staff or this whole project is completely doomed to fail (probably already has)

Misery loves company. That's all this blurb is. You are miserable because we are losing and the only right answer is for everyone else associated with GT football to be as miserable as you are. That's sounds silly when said that way, doesn't it? That's because it is silly. It's also true. I've never coached football, but I've both played baseball through the college level and coached competitive league youth baseball teams for years. When my youth struggle through a series of losses, I keep the positive reinforcement going. For a lot of players, making them feel miserable for losing a game just isn't productive. We have a discussion about why we lost and then we put it behind us. Same with the wins. It's not a bad thing.

If you don't like it, that's a personal issue, but it is not a sign that players don't care or that the coaching staff isn't coaching. It's just a miserable fan base wanting everyone else associated with the team to be miserable as well.