Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well, this sucks worse. I only remember two serious names floating around, Collins and Whisenhunt. I think I remember the Wiz saying thanks but no thanks. I also remember some on here talking about Tony Elliott but that may have been a rumor. Regardless, I thought the small pool was due to $$$, not because they wanted a Tech guy. Granted, a Tech person has an upside but it really shrinks the pool. Do you know if we had/have the money to go after a big name coach like Malzahn, for example?
I didn't they interviewed Elliott and not sure they interviewed anyone other the GCG ( I may be wrong about that )

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, this sucks worse. I only remember two serious names floating around, Collins and Whisenhunt. I think I remember the Wiz saying thanks but no thanks. I also remember some on here talking about Tony Elliott but that may have been a rumor. Regardless, I thought the small pool was due to $$$, not because they wanted a Tech guy. Granted, a Tech person has an upside but it really shrinks the pool. Do you know if we had/have the money to go after a big name coach like Malzahn, for example?

I don't know what our financial situation is, but I will say if GT fans want a better candidate when it's time for us to shop for a new coach, everyone better continue their season ticket commitments, and continue to donate. You are not punishing CGC when you withold money or cancel your season tix, you are hurting GT.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know what our financial situation is, but I will say if GT fans want a better candidate when it's time for us to shop for a new coach, everyone better continue their season ticket commitments, and continue to donate. You are not punishing CGC when you withold money or cancel your season tix, you are hurting GT.
not without a plan ... maybe TStan is hurting GT?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't want a big name, I want a coach. There have to be good, hungry, up-and-coming coaches in the lower ranks who have yet to make their mark in the big leagues. Stansbury needs to earn his salary and find us one, just one. Why would anyone imagine that the only coaches who could win here are Big Names? Just about ALL of the "big name" coaches started out with little names. Just about all of them came from the lower ranks. We probably can't afford a Big Name, anyway.
I mean we literally cannot be worse than we are today. Ok we could be 9 wins worse over 3 years

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
A one off fluke. Fact is, he started out 9-4, then 11-3, then it was mediocrity or losing every year after that with the exception of 2014. Let's review:

2010: 6-7
2012: 7-7
2013: 7-6
2015: 3-9
2017: 5-6
2018: 7-6

You can't maintain any sort of winning success with an offense most high schools don't even run anymore.
And the troll of the week award goes to...

troll GIF
the academy crying GIF by Robert E Blackmon

GTcanWINagain

Banned
not without a plan ... maybe TStan is hurting GT?
TStan is having to figure out what to SAY & DO NEXT! The guy just says he “sees progress” before the disaster of 55-0. He might have actually said it before the BC loss. His credibility is disintegrating by the week with these words of his still out there! I assume he hopes for Collins to either defeat UGA or lose a close game. That way “progress” can be pointed to as a counter to the ND massacre and the 2019 UGA loss. If “Hope as a Strategy” fails him, I expect TStan to speak to the unwashed masses of GT fans following the UGA game with some kind of nebulous “changes will be made” statement. That will quell the anger and give time for Collins to round up a pair of OC & DC for 2022. Of course, Collins will have to wait until all of the new HCs select the best coordinators as GT with Collins still as HC will be about as solid a job as a Bill Lewis’ going into 1994.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's going to be interesting to see how the coaching dominoes fall in the next few weeks with UF, LSU, USCW, and VT. By all accounts in NC, it sounds like Cutcliffe is considering retiring and Miami's new AD could make a change as well.

It looks like UF is making a big play for Napier. I expect VT to either try to buy Beamer from the cocks or go after Chadwell. Not sure where LSU turns... maybe Aranda, who is doing a great job at Baylor? Maybe try to grab Joe Brady from Carolina?

If we make a change this year, we are well down the pecking order. Tough time to be our AD but he did get himself into this mess.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It's going to be interesting to see how the coaching dominoes fall in the next few weeks with UF, LSU, USCW, and VT. By all accounts in NC, it sounds like Cutcliffe is considering retiring and Miami's new AD could make a change as well.

It looks like UF is making a big play for Napier. I expect VT to either try to buy Beamer from the cocks or go after Chadwell. Not sure where LSU turns... maybe Aranda, who is doing a great job at Baylor? Maybe try to grab Joe Brady from Carolina?

If we make a change this year, we are well down the pecking order. Tough time to be our AD but he did get himself into this mess.

Chadwell is really our only option for a good coach that we can probably get, he's still running a version of the option so A lot of th ebigger schools won't give him a chance. I think VT looks more at Cincy's coach.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Chadwell is really our only option for a good coach that we can probably get, he's still running a version of the option so A lot of th ebigger schools won't give him a chance. I think VT looks more at Cincy's coach.
Cincinnati is joining the Big 12 in the next few seasons. Is VPI a better job than P5 Cincy? It may not even be a better job the current Cincy.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
That's not true. The problem with the coaching search that led to CGC being hired was that there was a few groups of very influential people that had their favorites already, and the search was anything but exhaustive. The one thing the groups had in common was that they wanted a "GT guy"...and if you look at TStan's history, he went with familiarity. CGC had some very influential people backing him, George O'Leary and some prominent donors being the main ones. I touched on that a bit in another thread.

At the time, GT was considered one of the better job openings in terms of potential of what it could become...not necessarily what the next coach would inherit with the current roster at the time. There really wasn't that many big openings at the time. TStan did not take advantage of the circumstances during that time, and started with a very narrow search which excluded an expansive exploration of potential candidates.

One of the positives is when (IMO, we are beyond "if" at this point) CGC is gone, this roster will be much more attractive for potential candidates than when CPJ stepped down. Hopefully the next time we go through the coaching search, TStan learns the lesson that maybe we don't start with such a narrow list of candidates and looks at every viable candidate that fits with GT needs.

I think we were very limited by who was willing to take on the job last time, which shouldn't be a problem next time. I do hope TStan will go beyond the GT and UCF orbit when it's time for a change.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think we were very limited by who was willing to take on the job last time, which shouldn't be a problem next time. I do hope TStan will go beyond the GT and UCF orbit when it's time for a change.
I think we were more limited by who the money guys wanted to take the job.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Cincinnati is joining the Big 12 in the next few seasons. Is VPI a better job than P5 Cincy? It may not even be a better job the current Cincy.

Yes. It's hands down better. The Big XII ceases to be a power conference once Texas and OU move to the SEC.

If VT were undefeated right now there wouldn't be any questions about whether they would make the playoff if they won out. Undefeated Cincy needs one loss teams to lose to have a shot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Dan Mullen is still a VERY good coach. It kinda came off the wheels for him this season at UF, but UF is a different beast than GT.

Our offensive personnel is set up for Mullen to walk in and have success.

IMO, I know it's more cost effective to wait until after year 4 to fire CGC, but if Mullen is willing take the job, GT needs to make it work and start the rebuild ASAP.

Offensively, this season was the worst Offensive FEI peformance by Mullen at UF...and his offense still came in at #34 OFEI. What did UF and Mullen do previously?

2018 - #13
2019 - #13
2020 - #10

He had good to great offenses at Miss State as well, and his offenses were great when he was an OC. He's good recruiter, and he can develop talent. Team Mullen up with a good DC, and GT can win 7-10+ games a season.

IMO, GT needs an offensive minded guy, or a HC that has a great offensive coordinator in his pocket.

One other scenario that probably isn't too realistic, but a big maybe: CGC and Mullen have a relationship. Maybe CGC talks Mullen into coming to GT to become our OC?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Dan Mullen is still a VERY good coach. It kinda came off the wheels for him this season at UF, but UF is a different beast than GT.

Our offensive personnel is set up for Mullen to walk in and have success.

IMO, I know it's more cost effective to wait until after year 4 to fire CGC, but if Mullen is willing take the job, GT needs to make it work and start the rebuild ASAP.

Offensively, this season was the worst Offensive FEI peformance by Mullen at UF...and his offense still came in at #34 OFEI. What did UF and Mullen do previously?

2018 - #13
2019 - #13
2020 - #10

He had good to great offenses at Miss State as well, and his offenses were great when he was an OC. He's good recruiter, and he can develop talent. Team Mullen up with a good DC, and GT can win 7-10+ games a season.

IMO, GT needs an offensive minded guy, or a HC that has a great offensive coordinator in his pocket.

One other scenario that probably isn't too realistic, but a big maybe: CGC and Mullen have a relationship. Maybe CGC talks Mullen into coming to GT to become our OC?

The people that didn't like Paul Johnson not blowing smoke up their *** and telling them they were great really aren't going to like mullen.