Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice selective posting by you yet again.

Once again, the PJ worshippers started it all. When I pointed this out, they lost their minds:

You've all been picking apart my posts taking them completely out of context ever since. The instance you quoted about my mentioning O'Leary had more to it:

And that post was in response to this post:

Because he, like you, took only PART of my post above where I make mention of all three winning seasons that he conveniently omitted mentioning to make out that I was somehow fudging numbers.

You're both trolling for an argument by intentionally misquoting, using half-quotes, and warping everything out of context to suit your own end and start a fight.

You are now on ignore. Life is too short to deal with trolls.
Probably because you keep saying “3 winning seasons.” **** even your partial list of seasons has 3 seasons above 0.500

If you want to change that to “good seasons” that’s fine but let’s be honest and admit that PJ had 5 “good seasons” out of 11. 2008, 2009, 2011, 2014, and 2016 were all pretty damn fun.

I’m fine dropping the whole discussion but myself and others aren’t going to let ignorant or dishonest statements drive the conversation, we’re going to push back.

Now as to the future, all I want is to be able to enjoy football games again. Collins hasn’t personally given me any hope that he can achieve that. A regression on defense in the third year just doesn’t inspire me. I’m ambivalent about the offense but the OL is a huge concern. I know that’s the biggest transition. But in year three I expect our guys to at least be able to pass off a twist in pass pro without letting a rusher have a free shot at the QB. Getting physically whipped I can understand. But I’m just not seeing mental progress which is very very concerning.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I have the most half-baked answer to the woes of Tech football that will probably make everyone on this board angry, but hear me out.

1. Fire Pnode. While I think he is the least of our concerns in some areas, the offense is unoriginal and will not make up for our defensive woes
  2. Fire Key. Our O-line doesn't really play anyways so why coach them? Maybe we rehire Sewak or just get the biggest dudes at the student center, chain them together, and put cinderblocks around their ankles to create a barrier on pass plays.
  3. Hire Irvin Jasper from Navy to run the O and coach qbs. He can be retained if we decide to revert to 3-O with Monken after Collins' 4th year. We get a bonus year of coaching TO if that is the route we take, easing the transition. Jasper is looking for a way to get out of Annapolis so we can get him for cheap.
  4. Put Gibbs at QB and run a Perry/Taquon Marshal-esque triple option with no passing at all. Gibbs wins the Heisman while we probably go 6-6. Use Heisman to boost recruiting.
  5. Keep Collins at least one more year for branding, recruiting. Make him a CEO style head coach in that sense. If things work, we don't have to pay the buyout. If they don't, then who cares, fire him.
  6. Fire either Thacker or Burton as we don't need two co-efensive coordinators, Collins has more input on defense. Tech defense has not been good for over a decade and defense seems to be going the way of the dinosaur in general, so we just go all in on offense.
  7. Whoever get's fired out of Burton or Thacker will get replaced with a "clock management coach" that is basically the gameday coach so we don't have to see Collins flailing around out there.
  8. Use Collins' extremely repetetive press conferences and predilection for talking points to try to change the public's opinion of TO football. Call our new path forward the "greatest metamorphosis in college football history". Market T-shirts with Collins' face photoshopped over a monarch butterfly. New slogan for 2022 is "Caterpillar 22 Butterfly - No option but our option"
  9. If a player is penalized, they don't get tutors for their classes/homework that week. If the defense gets a 3 and out, everyone on campus, including non-student athletes, get a .001% curve on their hell-week final.
  10. Add a clause that coaches salaries drop 8% for each loss to a team we are favored against.
  11. ??????? profit?

Lol. You win for wildest idea and there have been some strong competitors. I ain't even mad.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The most disappointing part about hiring Collins wasn’t Collins himself but the realization that the best coach we could attract was a mediocre coach from a G5 program. We are in even worse shape now. This experiment hasn’t been a total waste, however. I learned that good recruiting can’t overcome bad coaching but good coaching can hide bad recruiting.

I think a realistic long term goal is to consistently win 7-8 games per year and occasionally win 10+. To do that we need to find a coach that does something a bit different. Not the 3O but something that makes us tough to beat with a pro style offense. Maybe something as simple as running hurry up most of the game. We cannot play toe-to-toe against many schools so we have to make these other teams play our game. I’m remembering a game between Oregon and FSU several years ago where Oregon’s conditioning and execution gave them a 59-20 win. FSU was gassed in the first half and never recovered.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
“Now as to the future, all I want is to be able to enjoy football games again….,”
That in a nutshell is the problem. Up until three or four weeks ago, I was saying give Collins 1 to 2 more years to prove that he can turn things around, but I’ve seen things digress since then, and I am currently not excited about even going to the games. However, I will be there this weekend and for all the home games next year (if I decide to renew; still on the fence). The sad thing is, my 21-year-old daughter who has been going to almost all the home games and quite a few away games since she was eight years old he’s told me she’s just not interested in Georgia Tech football anymore because of how bad the product that is being put on the field is.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The most disappointing part about hiring Collins wasn’t Collins himself but the realization that the best coach we could attract was a mediocre coach from a G5 program. We are in even worse shape now. This experiment hasn’t been a total waste, however. I learned that good recruiting can’t overcome bad coaching but good coaching can hide bad recruiting.

I think a realistic long term goal is to consistently win 7-8 games per year and occasionally win 10+. To do that we need to find a coach that does something a bit different. Not the 3O but something that makes us tough to beat with a pro style offense. Maybe something as simple as running hurry up most of the game. We cannot play toe-to-toe against many schools so we have to make these other teams play our game. I’m remembering a game between Oregon and FSU several years ago where Oregon’s conditioning and execution gave them a 59-20 win. FSU was gassed in the first half and never recovered.
I think if we get a good coach and keep building resources/maintain the increase CGC got, then we are in business.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Nice selective posting by you yet again.

Once again, the PJ worshippers started it all. When I pointed this out, they lost their minds:

You've all been picking apart my posts taking them completely out of context ever since. The instance you quoted about my mentioning O'Leary had more to it:

And that post was in response to this post:

Because he, like you, took only PART of my post above where I make mention of all three winning seasons that he conveniently omitted mentioning to make out that I was somehow fudging numbers.

You're both trolling for an argument by intentionally misquoting, using half-quotes, and warping everything out of context to suit your own end and start a fight.

You are now on ignore. Life is too short to deal with trolls.
I don't even know what to say to this.

Do you really think I was trolling you? Just merely pointing out between our conversations, you brought up George first... After you claimed otherwise.

Sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Much like how I said during the game about Carpenter sucking too bad to talk so much smack… well, we suck too bad to be arguing amongst each other about the same old ****.

All of our distaste should be generated towards getting Collins and TStan outta here and then when we find another coach, we can argue again. But until then…stay the course. Hide your families. Lock up your daughters. Arm your sons. We’ve got a program to get back.

Haha joking my brothers. Who knows what will happen. I just wanna win again y’all 🥴

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I have the most half-baked answer to the woes of Tech football that will probably make everyone on this board angry, but hear me out.

1. Fire Pnode. While I think he is the least of our concerns in some areas, the offense is unoriginal and will not make up for our defensive woes
  2. Fire Key. Our O-line doesn't really play anyways so why coach them? Maybe we rehire Sewak or just get the biggest dudes at the student center, chain them together, and put cinderblocks around their ankles to create a barrier on pass plays.
  3. Hire Irvin Jasper from Navy to run the O and coach qbs. He can be retained if we decide to revert to 3-O with Monken after Collins' 4th year. We get a bonus year of coaching TO if that is the route we take, easing the transition. Jasper is looking for a way to get out of Annapolis so we can get him for cheap.
  4. Put Gibbs at QB and run a Perry/Taquon Marshal-esque triple option with no passing at all. Gibbs wins the Heisman while we probably go 6-6. Use Heisman to boost recruiting.
  5. Keep Collins at least one more year for branding, recruiting. Make him a CEO style head coach in that sense. If things work, we don't have to pay the buyout. If they don't, then who cares, fire him.
  6. Fire either Thacker or Burton as we don't need two co-efensive coordinators, Collins has more input on defense. Tech defense has not been good for over a decade and defense seems to be going the way of the dinosaur in general, so we just go all in on offense.
  7. Whoever get's fired out of Burton or Thacker will get replaced with a "clock management coach" that is basically the gameday coach so we don't have to see Collins flailing around out there.
  8. Use Collins' extremely repetetive press conferences and predilection for talking points to try to change the public's opinion of TO football. Call our new path forward the "greatest metamorphosis in college football history". Market T-shirts with Collins' face photoshopped over a monarch butterfly. New slogan for 2022 is "Caterpillar 22 Butterfly - No option but our option"
  9. If a player is penalized, they don't get tutors for their classes/homework that week. If the defense gets a 3 and out, everyone on campus, including non-student athletes, get a .001% curve on their hell-week final.
  10. Add a clause that coaches salaries drop 8% for each loss to a team we are favored against.
  11. ??????? profit?
New candidate for AD?

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Total waste , I don't think so we have better players ( I think ) we just need a good coach which we don't have now.
As for a hurry up offense I wouldn't. Think about it till we need a better defense two 3 and outs we would be down 14 points.

Last edited:

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
That in a nutshell is the problem. Up until three or four weeks ago, I was saying give Collins 1 to 2 more years to prove that he can turn things around, but I’ve seen things digress since then, and I am currently not excited about even going to the games. However, I will be there this weekend and for all the home games next year (if I decide to renew; still on the fence). The sad thing is, my 21-year-old daughter who has been going to almost all the home games and quite a few away games since she was eight years old he’s told me she’s just not interested in Georgia Tech football anymore because of how bad the product that is being put on the field is.
Put a fork in it…ouch!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am very sorry to hear that. You have my condolences but understandable. What does it say when a "casual fan" for lack of a better term, recognizes just how "bad the product that is being put on the field is"? This issue of declining fan support is threatening to spiral out of control much quicker than I would have thought possible a few weeks ago. I still maintain that Collins is going to stay here through the next year but I am beginning to wonder just what is going on behind closed doors.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There are only a handful of great coaches. But there’s always the chance you’ll find the next Saban or Dabbo.
Tech has been blessed with four truly great ones and a couple of good ones. Heisman, Alexander, Dodd, and Ross were great for their respective eras while Johnson and O'Leary were very good. Very few were truly awful and most like Chan were decent and respected.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The most disappointing part about hiring Collins wasn’t Collins himself but the realization that the best coach we could attract was a mediocre coach from a G5 program.

That's not true. The problem with the coaching search that led to CGC being hired was that there was a few groups of very influential people that had their favorites already, and the search was anything but exhaustive. The one thing the groups had in common was that they wanted a "GT guy"...and if you look at TStan's history, he went with familiarity. CGC had some very influential people backing him, George O'Leary and some prominent donors being the main ones. I touched on that a bit in another thread.

At the time, GT was considered one of the better job openings in terms of potential of what it could become...not necessarily what the next coach would inherit with the current roster at the time. There really wasn't that many big openings at the time. TStan did not take advantage of the circumstances during that time, and started with a very narrow search which excluded an expansive exploration of potential candidates.

One of the positives is when (IMO, we are beyond "if" at this point) CGC is gone, this roster will be much more attractive for potential candidates than when CPJ stepped down. Hopefully the next time we go through the coaching search, TStan learns the lesson that maybe we don't start with such a narrow list of candidates and looks at every viable candidate that fits with GT needs.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
That's not true. The problem with the coaching search that led to CGC being hired was that there was a few groups of very influential people that had their favorites already, and the search was anything but exhaustive. The one thing the groups had in common was that they wanted a "GT guy"...and if you look at TStan's history, he went with familiarity. CGC had some very influential people backing him, George O'Leary and some prominent donors being the main ones. I touched on that a bit in another thread.

At the time, GT was considered one of the better job openings in terms of potential of what it could become...not necessarily what the next coach would inherit with the current roster at the time. There really wasn't that many big openings at the time. TStan did not take advantage of the circumstances during that time, and started with a very narrow search which excluded an expansive exploration of potential candidates.

One of the positives is when (IMO, we are beyond "if" at this point) CGC is gone, this roster will be much more attractive for potential candidates than when CPJ stepped down. Hopefully the next time we go through the coaching search, TStan learns the lesson that maybe we don't start with such a narrow list of candidates and looks at every viable candidate that fits with GT needs.
Well, this sucks worse. I only remember two serious names floating around, Collins and Whisenhunt. I think I remember the Wiz saying thanks but no thanks. I also remember some on here talking about Tony Elliott but that may have been a rumor. Regardless, I thought the small pool was due to $$$, not because they wanted a Tech guy. Granted, a Tech person has an upside but it really shrinks the pool. Do you know if we had/have the money to go after a big name coach like Malzahn, for example?