Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No words can describe how bad that game was today. The only progress made this year was due to Gibbs being healthy for every game and getting him the ball more. Nothing else has improved. The narrative that we are getting better because of close losses just got counterfeited. We only lost to ND by 18 last year. We just lost by 3 times that amount. Acc is crap this year which accounts for the close losses. I am physically sick right now.
Look on the bright side. The game ended a half hour ago and Notre Dame hasn't scored since.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What?!?! You can't take me out of context! You can't hold me to that...But on the other hand, maybe we will beat Notre Dame. Yeah, we're going to beat them!! There, I said it! Ha!

WE WILL BEAT NOTRE DAME !!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!
That post didn't age well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My gut says Bill O'Brien. The rumors were that he was his first choice, but the Texans were actually doing well so he wasn't going to leave. We are stuck in the mindset of bringing in a "Tech Guy" I think.

For the record I think he will be OK and right the ship to some extent based on what he did at Penn State with massive sanctions, but its just not an exciting hire and I think he has a very low ceiling and a very low floor.

Bill O'Brien, say what you want about him as a person, but as a coach would be fantastic for GT. Unfortunately, O'Brien is a ladder climber. As soon as something better came along he would be gone. Nothing wrong with that, just need to be aware of the deal you're making with O'Brien.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Bill O'Brien, say what you want about him as a person, but as a coach would be fantastic for GT. Unfortunately, O'Brien is a ladder climber. As soon as something better came along he would be gone. Nothing wrong with that, just need to be aware of the deal you're making with O'Brien.
'Salright, maybe somebody will buyout his contract. We can use the dough to pay off Collins.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This thread might go over 500 pages before the so called “game” next week.

Again, thank you to the Moderators for allowing us, and yourselves to vent!

Even some of the N.D. crowd are on their way out.

I am past the point of venting. I simply cut the game off when it was 17-0 and we had a 3rd and 2. false start followed by a delay of game penalty. Drew Brees said something to the effect of 'if yyou want to know how to lose a FB game, this is it." I spent the rest of the afternoon getting up leaves in the yard. Y'all should see it now. My yard looks like the fairways at Augusta National. Sipping my first bourbon and fixing to grill ribeyes. Honestly, I may just play golf next Saturday. It's kind of sad as I used to see Thanksgiving as a way to kill a day waiting on COFH.

I'm not mad really at Geoff and his staff. I honestly believe they are doing their best. And probably will up until he coaches his last game. I have no doubt he wants to do well. It just looks like he was given a task bigger than himself.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One quibble: Paul was not a bad recruiter. He ran system offense and he always got the players who could do what he wanted to do. Not that he wouldn't have wanted some of the 5 star types, but he got what he needed to make the O work. The D recruiting - up to the DCs - was always decent, except at DT. We kept getting good recruits there and having them leave after a year or two.
I have been angry and frustrated with part of our fan base sense the Bud Carson years. Every coach after Dodd has had to face a gauntlet of nay sayers. I could name ever coach and give examples of how some group or another agitated steadily for their demise. There was only one coach I didn’t support from the get-go and that was Lewis. It felt like too big of a leap in his career based on scant data. But I never called for his firing. I just quit buying tickets and quietly disappeared.

I am still sore about the shoddy treatment CPJ got and the fans who amplified all the criticisms of opposing teams who hated having to play him. It didn’t have to be that way. No limit to the heights he might have taken Tech with more support.

I supported CGC when he came in, loved his claiming the ATL, his youth focused messaging, and I even loved the Waffle House shtick. But it felt like we got more passive aggressive shots at the former coach than we got actual coaching on the field.

Now we have a mess of our own making but we have the same old fans. Whoever comes next needs our support and our patience. But if a coach can’t get the right players on and off the field, has trouble with timeouts and can’t seem to correct players being out of position for three years, we need a serious conversation about the job they are doing -without spite or malice or hidden agenda or blaming past coaches.

I will wait to see if this situation, as well as our conversation, can be turned in a positive and fruitful direction.

techster26

Georgia Tech Fan
Look what he has done down the street at GSU with no football history. Winning seasons, bowl games, beats rival GSU. Probably get him for a little over a million per year. Buyout is only $400,000. Offense improvements year over year. Beat Tenn and almost beat Wisconsin and Auburn. We can afford him and pay off Collins. Collins can recruit but this is the most undisciplined team I’ve seen.

• 81st in Total Offense in 2017
  • 90th in Total Offense in 2018
  • 31st in Total Offense in 2019
  • 12th in Total Offense in 2020
(Mod Edit: Was in thread titled “Sean Elliot for HC” before merging)

Last edited by a moderator:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Curious, why are you a cheerleader?

Loved the vision, loved the recruiting, marketing, branding, selling the city of Atlanta. I think he has the right plan, but he may not be up to the task of executing it. Even one win in the last 5 would have been acceptable. He lost them all and the team regressed over the course of the season. Hard to come back from where he is today.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am past the point of venting. I simply cut the game off when it was 17-0 and we had a 3rd and 2. false start followed by a delay of game penalty. Drew Brees said something to the effect of 'if yyou want to know how to lose a FB game, this is it."

I literally came in and sat down in front of the TV at that point in the game. I was so impressed I didn't stay seated long enough to see the early/bad snap on the 3rd try at 3rd down.

I spent the next couple of hours closing our pool. The only problem was the game was still on when I was done with the pool.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We’ll, those who can’t see the progress at GT obviously just don’t WANT to see it. Why, last year we lost to these guys 31-13. And this year…

Oh wait. Never mind!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I literally came in and sat down in front of the TV at that point in the game. I was so impressed I didn't stay seated long enough to see the early/bad snap on the 3rd try at 3rd down.

I spent the next couple of hours closing our pool. The only problem was the game was still on when I was done with the pool.

I stretched my raking out tbh. I turned a 1 hour job into a 3 hour job so I would not make that mistake cause i pay myself by the hour and not the job. Plus I wanted it to be close enough to happy hour when I was done that I could cheat and not feel too bad. My second bourbon is tasting better than the first. I'm left wondering how number's 3, 4 and 5 will taste.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
D79A2944-DD30-452B-A7D6-D20123172219.jpeg

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am beginning to wonder if he is capable of making the next hire. Let's face it. Collins will not be here much longer. One or two more at most. This was a really bad hire for way too many years. Is our AD over his head?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn’t think I could get to a place where I’d want Collins gone this season, but im there.

I don’t think he’s ready for it, but I’d give TC a shot.

He’s a great recruiter and isn’t afraid to tells guys they aren’t as good as they think they are.

I could see other young up and coming coaches wanting to coach for him.

Can’t be any worse. Think TC would keep all the guys here as well as the recruits.

Heck, maybe keep Collins as DC and recruiting coordinator so his salary isn’t a complete waste.