Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Either way selling 25k tickets or having 25k people in the stadium is an embarrassing standard to hold. That’s 45% of capacity. Can you imagine Miami or VT thinking a crowd of 29k would be acceptable? Or Florida State and South Carolina saying a crowd north of 35k was alright? Auburn fans saying if they got more than 39k it would be ok? No chance, none of those would ever happen.

It’s okay to acknowledge the fact that Georgia Tech has a very small and fickle fanbase more similar to Wake Forest’s than it is to UGA. If wins don’t come neither will people, and I’m afraid we’ve lost too many games to ever gain traction with a legitimate fan base again. Even in 2018 the Clemson game didn’t sell out, and half of the fans that were there were in orange. UGA may be the only game Georgia Tech sells out forever at this point.

Oh I agree. I was simply refuting the assertion that there would be "no one there" to see the team play. We can admit we are struggling without running headlong into hyperbole in every post here.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So you have access to the locker room to make that guarantee. Tell us then, what DOES go on?
Did you listen to Collins's last presser (I think)? What he said is that, despite losing (again), the team still acts like winners. The problem with this is that they are losing.

Soooo … of course, I don't know what goes on in Tech's locker room. What I'm pretty certain of is that nothing like Billy's explosion has ever happened under Collins. And, like I said, until it does present trends will continue.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Here's what we are really missing:

I can guarantee everyone that nothing like this ever happens in Tech's locker room. And, imho, until it does nothing will change.

That's the Oakland A's. There is clearly nothing elite about the Oakland A's. They are not the hardest working young men in America in that locker like there is in ours. Not sure if Billy Beane loves those guys or not, but maybe if he did, they could make it through a few more rounds of the playoffs.

Did Billy Beane ever play at Mississippi State? Temple? Did he ever eat at Waffle House? Hell, maybe that's the key to winning the World Series! Analytics and Waffles!!
;):)

DuluthJacket83

Georgia Tech Fan
Did you listen to Collins's last presser (I think)? What he said is that, despite losing (again), the team still acts like winners. The problem with this is that they are losing.

Soooo … of course, I don't know what goes on in Tech's locker room. What I'm pretty certain of is that nothing like Billy's explosion has ever happened under Collins. And, like I said, until it does present trends will continue.
Read this: https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...e-the-locker-room/SDPCWV4HUNDOLARPKIL5RJ64I4/

Sounds exactly like Moneyball.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If I think of this season, it has been one of the most entertaining in awhile in that every game is going deep into the 4th quarter and has you on the edge of your seat. Not saying I am not frustrated by silly mistakes or repetitive problems but I, for one, have gotten maximum entertainment from this season. I will see how these next two play out but I don't go into them expecting blowouts as most seem to. but my wife thinks I am idiot too.
My first inclination was to chuckle at your post, but I can see your point of view. This is how I pretty much saw the games:
a. NIU game was aggravating & a boring type of annoyance. Expected to see the 3 deep, was sorely disappointed. Thought we’d win all the way even though we were getting whipped almost the entire game. Then thought we’d stop the 2pt conversion to eke out a win despite a poor effort. I wouldn’t say entertained at all, more like disgusted all game & generally pissed off.
b. K St game was boring, expected & boring. We got the outcome, perhaps a bit less of a commanding win than I’d hoped for, but an ok game. Really wanted a rout, but accepted a solid win.
c. Clemp game was a nice surprise. I kept wishing to the end we had that miracle upset play in us. It just never came & as usual GT crushed my hopes. Yes, I’d say this was the first entertaining game.
d. UNC game was entertaining, highly entertaining. After the Clemp game I felt like we’d win easily the majority of the game even though we fell behind early. The complete and utter *** whipping of UNC was a bit surprising. Got a “we are turning the corner” feeling.
e. There was nothing entertaining about Pitt. We got whipped, then entire game we were smacked around. Left game doubting the real GT was the previous 2 games & this was just a fluke by a hot team.
f. Dook was a repeat of NIU except we won, so the despair was blunted thankfully. Not an entertaining game at all.
g. The last 3 mins of Vag game was entertaining. We jumped out to a nice lead, but there was a long stretch where we got outscored 48-14. The one shining moment there was Gibbs TD run. After jumping out to the lead at Dook & almost crapping ourselves, I didn’t figure Vag would let us do that, but they did. Having almost 3 hrs & over 45 mins of football clock time between our early spurt and our failed comeback made it less than entertaining overall.
h. I never felt like we were ever in the VT game. Score remained close throughout, VT left us in the classic upset posture almost to the end. We stayed flat.
i. da U game was entertaining. Thought we’d win, but in the back of my mind I felt the choke coming. An anxious game that didn‘t turn out unexpectedly with an upset unfortunately.
j. I’d gotten used to the fast starts, Yates playing gave me hope it being different was enough to throw off BC. Always felt to me like the last 2 games, we’d find a way to lose.

3 entertaining games out of 10, parts of 3 others were entertaining. I’m guessing the needle is going to be stuck the last 2 games. I’ll be thrilled if they’re anything besides routs. I will watch every minute I can just like every other weekend.

Go Jackets!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

At least twice this year CGC has said he “consoled” his players and told them how proud he was of them. That’s all I know about the locker room. Still not sure what the point of sharing that with the public was.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wish I could believe this but the fact is we have a losing record in a conference that is a shadow of its former self. Sharing the basement with Duke is not a sign of progress. Not buying this thesis of "adjusted records".
Duke is in the basement all by themselves. We've beaten them 2 years in a row here and there and we have a younger team.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

And, it doesn't have to happen. It rarely does, except in the movies.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
At least twice this year CGC has said he “consoled” his players and told them how proud he was of them. That’s all I know about the locker room. Still not sure what the point of sharing that with the public was.
He's trying to maintain a positive state of mind in the locker room, which is key to making the next step possible in the growth of the team.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
He's trying to maintain a positive state of mind in the locker room, which is key to making the next step possible in the growth of the team.
I appreciate his intent. But I think that is the problem with the team -- seems like we are more worried about feelings and being well liked than accountability.

Definitely seems to me like the players try hard. And if you read the AJC article linked above, sounds like they are still putting in good effort. The problem is that they are not disciplined, and it shows up in every aspect of their play. There was a video clip for a Texas DL coach this weekend that went viral. don't need that level of accountability, but something more than constant hugs and consolation.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure I’ve ever heard a coach share his private conversations with players in the locker room before this coach. Odd to me.
Not sure what this has to do with anything, but this thought struck me. Four games in, Bryan Harsin, coach at Auburn, fired his receivers coach. It took the school aback (Who does that? Four games?) and was the buzz in town for days.

Harsin appeared at a press conference and said this: "Passing is an important part of our strategy. Which means receiving is an important part of our strategy. And the job of our coaches is to develop players to execute the play properly. After four games, I have seen enough that our receivers coach is not fulfilling his responsibility and I'm relieving him of his duties. It's that simple. Any questions?"

Harsin is not an Auburn grad and has no family connection. He simply stated what he is here for (to win), what the expectation is, and if anyone on his team fails in that expectation, they can expect to be canned.

I am less worried about Collins talking to the players than I am in Collins holding his own staff accountable.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not sure what this has to do with anything, but this thought struck me. Four games in, Bryan Harsin, coach at Auburn, fired his receivers coach. It took the school aback (Who does that? Four games?) and was the buzz in town for days.

Harsin appeared at a press conference and said this: "Passing is an important part of our strategy. Which means receiving is an important part of our strategy. And the job of our coaches is to develop players to execute the play properly. After four games, I have seen enough that our receivers coach is not fulfilling his responsibility and I'm relieving him of his duties. It's that simple. Any questions?"

Harsin is not an Auburn grad and has no family connection. He simply stated what he is here for (to win), what the expectation is, and if anyone on his team fails in that expectation, they can expect to be canned.

I am less worried about Collins talking to the players than I am in Collins holding his own staff accountable.
This is a valid point. If your employees are also close friends it becomes more difficult to have boss/employee conferences when the employee's performance is lagging. I fear that may be where we are with some of the assistants. But Collins has to be the one to change that relationship.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Great example!

Yes, I don’t understand Collins constant need to tell the press and the public what a father figure he is to the players. I would much rather hear, “I had a long conversation with coach Thacker and he and I have identified a few things that need to happen. I will continue to spend extra time with him to get this right and one way or another this has to change.”

I would even settle for, “Thacker knows exactly what is going on and is aware of the problems. At this time I believe he has a solid plan moving forward that will produce results.”

What I have reached my limit on is “The players were really despondent and I continually told them how hard they are trying, how much I love them, how proud I am of them and that this is an elite ball club.” Even if that is the way he talks to them on a regular basis, sharing that publicly infantilizes them.