Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Did you listen to Collins's last presser (I think)? What he said is that, despite losing (again), the team still acts like winners. The problem with this is that they are losing.

Soooo … of course, I don't know what goes on in Tech's locker room. What I'm pretty certain of is that nothing like Billy's explosion has ever happened under Collins. And, like I said, until it does present trends will continue.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong on that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I appreciate his intent. But I think that is the problem with the team -- seems like we are more worried about feelings and being well liked than accountability.

Definitely seems to me like the players try hard. And if you read the AJC article linked above, sounds like they are still putting in good effort. The problem is that they are not disciplined, and it shows up in every aspect of their play. There was a video clip for a Texas DL coach this weekend that went viral. don't need that level of accountability, but something more than constant hugs and consolation.

No. The problem with this team is we have a secondary that can't stop a forward pass from being completed, is rarely in the same zip code as the receiver being targeted, and the OL is still developing. The secondary is a coaching failure at this point, and there is reason to believe the offseason will bring changes to that end. What you see in the press and what goes on behind the scenes are often vastly different.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Too much football revenue is being lost…my guess is about $15 million during the CGC era.

Depends on how you define "lost revenue." It appears you are simply assigning a value for the delta between a sellout and actual attendance. Even under CPJ, we weren't selling out many games. The delta between CPJ average attendance last 3 years and the 2019 and 2021 seasons is dramatic, but probably not that dramatic. Also, 2020 must be excluded because of rules governing attendance for COVID. It should be noted, even with attendance down, we are doing ok financially because TStan budgeted for the uncertain attendance.

Caveat, not all attendance related issues this year are related to the product on the field. A couple of STHs in my area are staying home this year due to COVID concerns. They hope to be back next year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Great example!

Yes, I don’t understand Collins constant need to tell the press and the public what a father figure he is to the players. I would much rather hear, “I had a long conversation with coach Thacker and he and I have identified a few things that need to happen. I will continue to spend extra time with him to get this right and one way or another this has to change.”

I would even settle for, “Thacker knows exactly what is going on and is aware of the problems. At this time I believe he has a solid plan moving forward that will produce results.”

What I have reached my limit on is “The players were really despondent and I continually told them how hard they are trying, how much I love them, how proud I am of them and that this is an elite ball club.” Even if that is the way he talks to them on a regular basis, sharing that publicly infantilizes them.
After 3 years if CGC was 1/2 as good as a coach he thinks he is we would have won 6 game this year. I wish we had someone like Kim King that would walk in Stansbury's office and say it's time to do something or we will have a new AD this Summer.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
But how many tackles have been missed by the linebackers and secondary, leading to long runs? They could have gotten a little help back there. I misstated when I said our rushing defense has been decent, but I don't think that's on the DL. I think our DL has been quite decent on the whole.
Either way selling 25k tickets or having 25k people in the stadium is an embarrassing standard to hold. That’s 45% of capacity. Can you imagine Miami or VT thinking a crowd of 29k would be acceptable? Or Florida State and South Carolina saying a crowd north of 35k was alright? Auburn fans saying if they got more than 39k it would be ok? No chance, none of those would ever happen.

It’s okay to acknowledge the fact that Georgia Tech has a very small and fickle fanbase more similar to Wake Forest’s than it is to UGA. If wins don’t come neither will people, and I’m afraid we’ve lost too many games to ever gain traction with a legitimate fan base again. Even in 2018 the Clemson game didn’t sell out, and half of the fans that were there were in orange. UGA may be the only game Georgia Tech sells out forever at this point.
We could always agree to be the sacrificial lamb game for UGA, and always play it at UGA, in exchange for 90% of the gate and some split on concessions..

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Miami wants Kiffin according to some pundits. He would have an easier time in the ACC having 10 win seasons. I don't think he is ready to leave Ole Miss yet but that would be a great coup for Miami.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Im not sure why Ken's on that list he ain't going anywhere

Chet Gladchuk, Navy's AD, went over Coach Ken's head and fired OC Ivin Jasper earlier this season. Coach Ken brought him back as the QB coach. Coach Ken was not happy about how things went.

I'm guessing either Coach Ken quits or there will be a mutual agreement to leave the program after the season.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Im not sure why Ken's on that list he ain't going anywhere
Collins isn’t going anywhere either.

Don’t know anything about the other coaches because I honestly don’t really care about college football save GT anymore.

I’d put Collins being let go at a <1% chance of happening save him doing something immoral.

As much as I like Thacker, I’m hoping he’s relieved of his duties along with any assistants who have anything to do with the secondary.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
I'm in the part of the fanbase that is still holding out hope for CGC and company but I do understand the validity of other fan's arguments that want him gone at season's end. With players it is relatively easy to track their progress but with coaches not so much. My question is, is there any coach that started out as rough as CGC has and turned things around either at the program they had tough times with or elsewhere? I'm just trying to think of someone for my own reassurance that things can get better with him.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm in the part of the fanbase that is still holding out hope for CGC and company but I do understand the validity of other fan's arguments that want him gone at season's end. With players it is relatively easy to track their progress but with coaches not so much. My question is, is there any coach that started out as rough as CGC has and turned things around either at the program they had tough times with or elsewhere? I'm just trying to think of someone for my own reassurance that things can get better with him.
Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski, Frank Beamer... The list is long, but they were in a time less effected by ADD and children pitching a fit demanding their way, now!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Financially, CGC is NOT going anywhere until after year 4. CGC would have to do something egregious for him to be fired before year 4 is completed...and then it would be for cause and GT would not be obligated to pay anything.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Disappointment yes, frustration, no. Frustration is Sisyphus never being able to get the stone up the hill. I’m sure fans, and coaches, thought we’ll get ‘em next time, dag-gummit.
Well, in that team's case the stone did get rolled up the hill. The primary problem in 1960 was quarterback. Billy Lothridge solved that problem because beginning in 1961, Tech beat Georgia three straight years, a feat that was not duplicated until the end of the century. As for Alabama, 1961 was the year of the famous Chick Graning incident which led to Tech winning in 1962 upsetting number one Alabama in what Dodd called "...his biggest victory". Disappointment, frustration leading to redemption an old story in athletics.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski, Frank Beamer... The list is long, but they were in a time less effected by ADD and children pitching a fit demanding their way, now!
Beamer is the most likely one for Geoff to emulate. Tone down the antics, demand more accountability from assistants and players, pay attention to the little things like game management, kicking, penalties, special teams, etc. Those were things that Beamer changed as well as recruiting in Virginia. It can be done but the task is daunting. It took Frank 6 years to reach a bowl. A lifetime to some fan bases.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You don't have to buy it. Vegas guys make bank off it though because fans always assume either the best or worst about a team.
You are correct I am not buying it because I do not give a tinker's damn about what Vegas guys think. I do not believe we are as close to turning this thing around as some seem to think. It will take more work, much more attention to detail, and better recruiting of linemen to begin to make a difference. It took Frank Beamer 6 years to lift Virginia Tech up from mediocrity. It might take Geoff about that long to do the same. Best get to it.