Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Financially, CGC is NOT going anywhere until after year 4. CGC would have to do something egregious for him to be fired before year 4 is completed...and then it would be for cause and GT would not be obligated to pay anything.

Maybe there's a picture out there somewhere of him with a dead hooker or a live boy? Kidding.....Kidding..... But it sure would save us some money......:rolleyes: ;)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If he holds onto this team and the recruits I will be hopeful. But his seat is hot AF.

He needs to get rid of Thacker at a minimum IMO.
I don't know. Coach Collins is ranked (FWIW) #7 on that "Coaches Hot Seat" site but the guys ahead of him like Mullens and Manny are at programs with a history of quick triggers on firing coaches. Geoff will be here at least two more years. IIWII.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And, it doesn't have to happen. It rarely does, except in the movies.
I've had both high school and college coaches who've said pretty much the same thing after a loss, albeit without the gatorade throwing. But that was back in the Dark Ages. Perhaps things have changed.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Vegas thinking it wouldn’t be a shock for a change to happen.

Vegas does not have to pay his buyout. He is not going anywhere, any time soon. As for the others, well, I mean damn Manny you have FSU on the ropes and just gift them the game with a 3 man rush after repeatedly getting pressure on Travis all game long. That might be the end of him. As for Mullen, I have witnessed the spectacle of two Florida alumni, hoping that the Gators lose to FSU so that he is out. He might lose to Missouri this week and save them the drama.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Beamer is the most likely one for Geoff to emulate. Tone down the antics, demand more accountability from assistants and players, pay attention to the little things like game management, kicking, penalties, special teams, etc. Those were things that Beamer changed as well as recruiting in Virginia. It can be done but the task is daunting. It took Frank 6 years to reach a bowl. A lifetime to some fan bases.
Yeah, but that was when making a bowl game was a challenge. Beamer won 6 games in year three beating a top 10 WV team while dealing with scholarship restrictions.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Maybe there's a picture out there somewhere of him with a dead hooker or a live boy? Kidding.....Kidding..... But it sure would save us some money......:rolleyes: ;)
It's "a dead girl or a live boy". Edmund Edwards said that once about what it would take to beat him in an election. He was right; even the Feds had to wait until he had been out of office for a few years to get him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You are correct I am not buying it because I do not give a tinker's damn about what Vegas guys think. I do not believe we are as close to turning this thing around as some seem to think. It will take more work, much more attention to detail, and better recruiting of linemen to begin to make a difference. It took Frank Beamer 6 years to lift Virginia Tech up from mediocrity. It might take Geoff about that long to do the same. Best get to it.

Like I said, you don't have to buy it. I'm betting that Vegas and the college football experts set next years over/under on wins at 5 or so. It's apparent to anyone who's watching without an agenda that GT is progressing as a team. It just hasn't translated into wins yet. That should start in the next two years. If CGC can get to 6 wins next year, I think we can contend for the Coastal again in 2023.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but that was when making a bowl game was a challenge. Beamer won 6 games in year three beating a top 10 WV team while dealing with scholarship restrictions.
True enough, but that was followed by two more losing seasons including 1992 when the Hokies only won 2 games. Frank turned it around the next year and did not look back.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, you don't have to buy it. I'm betting that Vegas and the college football experts set next years over/under on wins at 5 or so. It's apparent to anyone who's watching without an agenda that GT is progressing as a team. It just hasn't translated into wins yet. That should start in the next two years. If CGC can get to 6 wins next year, I think we can contend for the Coastal again in 2023.
We agree to disagree and leave it at that. I predicted we would win 4 games this year. May have been too optimistic.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The over/under win total was 4 in 2019 and 4.5 this year. If it is set at 4.5 next year, is that really progression?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It's "a dead girl or a live boy". Edmund Edwards said that once about what it would take to beat him in an election. He was right; even the Feds had to wait until he had been out of office for a few years to get him.
That is not all he said. He once ran against an opponent who claimed that he was different from Edwards in that he was more "deliberate" in making a decision. Edwards said, yeah, he is so slow it takes him an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes. One lady said she was going to vote for him in Louisiana knowing he was a crook because he was an "honest crook".

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I predicted 4 as well, just as the Vegas model predicted. I don't think anyone had NIU penciled in as a win.
You mean NIU penciled in as a loss? I sure didn't but then I did not think we would beat UNC but that is just the sort of thing Coach Collins has done every year. Win one no one thinks he can win like Miami in 2020 or UNC this year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The over/under win total was 4 in 2019 and 4.5 this year. If it is set at 4.5 next year, is that really progression?
Probably not but maybe our schedule will not be quite as demanding next year. I would think that 6 or 7 wins and a bowl would be a good target for the Jackets. That, and looking like they know what they are doing on defense for a change.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Probably not but maybe our schedule will not be quite as demanding next year. I would think that 6 or 7 wins and a bowl would be a good target for the Jackets. That, and looking like they know what they are doing on defense for a change.
Our strength of schedule fell apart this year when several teams weren't nearly as good as expected. Next years schedule will likely be tougher with Ole Miss, and road games at UCF, and FSU.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
If they start looking like they know what they are doing on defense, the wins will take care of themselves.