Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

RoswellJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think in this trying time we need 2 things. First we need to consider all, and I mean ALL f***ing options. And second this thread could lighten up…

So here me out. We take a trip to Ypsilanti, MI and poach Lincoln High’s newest offensive play caller, Adam Gase. He has commanded elite offenses in the past and probably would love to coach any team without 16 year olds on it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well don't always go by a list

Gary Patterson was not on the list

Gary Patterson is out at TCU after over 20 years as coach of the Horned Frogs, the school announced on Sunday night.

In meeting with the longtime coach Sunday, school officials asked Patterson to finish this season, but he declined. Instead, Patterson, who coached in the Horned Frogs' 31-12 loss at Kansas State on Saturday, will be replaced by Jerry Kill, an assistant on his staff, on an interim basis for a team that is 3-5 overall and 1-4 in the Big 12 this season.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well don't always go by a list

Gary Patterson was not on the list

Gary Patterson is out at TCU after over 20 years as coach of the Horned Frogs, the school announced on Sunday night.

In meeting with the longtime coach Sunday, school officials asked Patterson to finish this season, but he declined. Instead, Patterson, who coached in the Horned Frogs' 31-12 loss at Kansas State on Saturday, will be replaced by Jerry Kill, an assistant on his staff, on an interim basis for a team that is 3-5 overall and 1-4 in the Big 12 this season.

Well if he's already out, his seats no longer hot or warm, it's empty. Same as Ogeron at LSU.

LoganGTweed

Georgia Tech Fan
I bought into Collins hype. He has lost me with this season and not because of the wins or losses but because the coaching has just been horrendous. I see better coaching every Friday night. I’ve been patient but as I sat in Bobby Dodd I had that same feeling as sitting in traffic - no feelings. I didn’t care. That is sad. Then I sat in my car for 3 hours driving home and listened to the game in Jacksonville and realization hit me. I had planned a mini vacation with my wife and me to Miami to attend the game. Now we are heading elsewhere because I can’t find any reason to attend. And it’s breaking my heart because I’m the type who enters the stadium when the door opens to watch every warm up snap, etc. Now, I can’t bring myself to do it again this season.
I’m right there with you man. I’ve been a die hard my whole life and watched us go through so many ups and downs but i’ve never been so disappointed and careless and it’s depressing

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
8th, 7th, and 11th in his three full seasons. Not sure that's "terrible"
It is in comparison to the SEC elite. The UF fans are freaking out/melting down about the lack of focus on recruiting. UF is being out recruited by two yearly rivals plus Bama in its same conference despite playing in the most talent rich state.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Believe it or not, that’s actually bad recruiting for UF. Check UGA, Bama, and LSU recruiting numbers for comparison.
I don't need to believe anything, we can look it up. UF has recruited at the same level as the currently do since 2014. If they expect to recruit at the same levels they did under Meyer, they need to fork over a lot more money, otherwise they are just delusional.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't need to believe anything, we can look it up. UF has recruited at the same level as the currently do since 2014. If they expect to recruit at the same levels they did under Meyer, they need to fork over a lot more money, otherwise they are just delusional.
Agreed. They have to up there spending if they want to recruit at the Urban Meyer levels.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Believe it or not, that’s actually bad recruiting for UF. Check UGA, Bama, and LSU recruiting numbers for comparison.
Florida has the same amount of 5* and more 4* than LSU. No one recruits like Bama and uga.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It is in comparison to the SEC elite. The UF fans are freaking out/melting down about the lack of focus on recruiting. UF is being out recruited by two yearly rivals plus Bama in its same conference despite playing in the most talent rich state.

under this logic, our recruiting is abysmal and we should quit the sport of football…

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Don’t shoot the messenger. The only teams in the past 15 years that won it all without consensus top 5 classes were Auburn and Clemson for its two titles

Straw man? I said nothing about national titles. I stated, and I repeat, that if failing to recruit at the same level as your two rivals and at least one other conference foe in the one of the nations top 3-4 talent rich states is terrible recruiting, then we are abysmal at it. Either you need to revisit the criteria in which you are judging UFs recruiting, or admit that we are doomed.

uga and Clemson, (rivals) routinely finish in the top 10. Miami, who we play yearly, routinely finishes in the top 15. FSU and UNC also finish in the top 15. Meanwhile, we've cracked the top 25 just once in the last 2 decades...

Squints

Helluva Engineer
They certainly don't have unique offenses as some suggest is required.

The answer depends on the narrative you want to craft
  • Cincinnati - Senior, first round NFL QB
  • Baylor - is it sustainable? They won 2 last year.
  • Wake - 5 of 6 years going to a bowl. Though Clawson is 8 years in and this year will be his first with a winning record in the ACC. OOC scheduling helps.

Without being an expert on any of their rosters, I think this is probably the best answer, albeit oversimplified.

Old post but I think Wake might qualify for that unique offense category with their 'slow mesh' concepts.