Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
i saw lots of fire the bb coach post last year. the did look bad - dropped 2 easy games. But then we figured out how to play the best press defense in the nation - and now he has a new contract.

right now we have very few FB player that won't be eligible next year. they will grow and play faster. sadly it will be a while.

Collins has not made many great memoirs for me besides better people skills and recruiting class.

His banter has been effective in recruiting - it s spelled Gibbs

However = him running to pick up a sideline ball and then running to hand it to the official drives me nuts.

His belief in "our so called system" of game week preparation is overvalued during the game has caused obvious head scratching moments.. There is nothing wrong with a practice system that encourages max effort in practice, rewards with pt, and remove players when the are getting tired. On defense we have gone from playing too few players way too much to having players run in and out while changing defenses on the fly.

When a system is not working and a manager wont change it - his boss must take note.

Saturday tstan said his plan and will implement it. i think he meant his always had in his plan the current situation.
There is not a lot Tstan can do right now unless he has money from a supporter that is not currently in the bank.

One thing he could do is force Collins to bring in different assistant coaches. Key probably has a buy out clause and as a former player his job is likely pretty safe right now. Coach P may be on pretty solid ground with the progress the offense has made. Thacker is one who needs to be on belay career wise.

If Tstan or the board feels they are losing attendance and relevance as a program, maybe they could try something creative. If the "rumblings" of disaffected players turns out to be true they might "have cause" to negotiate a settlement rather than face court challenges with an outright firing. More likely that he remains in place through next season at least.

BC looks like a hot mess right now, so maybe Collins can scratch out another win and avoid a third straight 3-win season. I cannot see us beating anyone else.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I bought into Collins hype. He has lost me with this season and not because of the wins or losses but because the coaching has just been horrendous. I see better coaching every Friday night. I’ve been patient but as I sat in Bobby Dodd I had that same feeling as sitting in traffic - no feelings. I didn’t care. That is sad. Then I sat in my car for 3 hours driving home and listened to the game in Jacksonville and realization hit me. I had planned a mini vacation with my wife and me to Miami to attend the game. Now we are heading elsewhere because I can’t find any reason to attend. And it’s breaking my heart because I’m the type who enters the stadium when the door opens to watch every warm up snap, etc. Now, I can’t bring myself to do it again this season.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I bought into Collins hype. He has lost me with this season and not because of the wins or losses but because the coaching has just been horrendous. I see better coaching every Friday night. I’ve been patient but as I sat in Bobby Dodd I had that same feeling as sitting in traffic - no feelings. I didn’t care. That is sad. Then I sat in my car for 3 hours driving home and listened to the game in Jacksonville and realization hit me. I had planned a mini vacation with my wife and me to Miami to attend the game. Now we are heading elsewhere because I can’t find any reason to attend. And it’s breaking my heart because I’m the type who enters the stadium when the door opens to watch every warm up snap, etc. Now, I can’t bring myself to do it again this season.
we get there early - visit with other fans , watch the walkup, meet at tailgate. heck - tstan even remembers me and speaks to me when he sees me. one of our favorite thigns to do is get a photo over walk up player hugging parents - and the send it to them. s days, j days hunt, will bryan, morgans, lays and this week johnsons. At mega factories - get near a player - yea right.

guess i lived in texas so long i am willing to drive up; go see ATL sites, plays, dining; and then look for small things thru this crummy period. i understand we have been underfunded for decades and it is very hard to see collins miss obvious chances to have better outcomes on the field.

Now
i see the offense as a engine that is not getting enough fuel (offensive line not letting enough time and space). With return of Cooper , Johnson playing thru his knee injury and others (Paula/Lay) playing themselves into better players - we could get pretty exciting.

At the end of the VT game - by rolling sims out they seemed to get Sims going. He stopped flipping his passes and started firing darts to the wider receivers. We saw him hi 5 a players on way to the bench. He has a very serious look most time but at that time his smile showed he was happy to be the qb at gt. Will he break out from silly reads and will make this his team ? Soon? heck its just fun to watch

i just hope gt does not go down to a smaller league due to lake of $

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I feel for your friend.I've been watching for almost 65 yrs and I was hoping to get to another decent bowl but there is VERY little expectation now at all-- before I'm dead.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If Tstan or the board feels they are losing attendance and relevance as a program, maybe they could try something creative. If the "rumblings" of disaffected players turns out to be true they might "have cause" to negotiate a settlement rather than face court challenges with an outright firing. More likely that he remains in place through next season at least.
Pray tell, how does this work? You mean if some players aren't happy, then Stansbury can re-negotiate a "settlement"? Tech wouldn't have to pay for the entire 7 years?
So buyout clauses aren't guarantees?

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
There is not a lot Tstan can do right now unless he has money from a supporter that is not currently in the bank.

One thing he could do is force Collins to bring in different assistant coaches. Key probably has a buy out clause and as a former player his job is likely pretty safe right now. Coach P may be on pretty solid ground with the progress the offense has made. Thacker is one who needs to be on belay career wise.

BC looks like a hot mess right now, so maybe Collins can scratch out another win and avoid a third straight 3-win season. I cannot see us beating anyone else.
ok but isn't collins the problem? This is his organization and system. BTW awesome if he turns it around, just sayin aren't his 3 years below the average of the last 20 years?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That would be significant upgrades over what we have.... That's how bad things are.
Did you look at that list? Seriously? the number 1 and 2 guys on it coach at Nebraska and Florida. I don't believe people who can't be succesful enough to be retained at those two schools would suceed here as I think this job is more difficult (maybe I'm wrong but convince me). Who on that list strikes you as a high caibre coach and why do you think they would succeed here more than they are at their current job? Remember, all these guys are supposedly on a hot seat somewhere per the expert who wrote the article.

slugboy

Staff member
Cutcliffe’s seat is only as hot as his desire to retire. I don’t think his job is in any danger.
If Duke wanted to pep things up there, Cut and the AD would hire a coach in waiting, and give Cutcliffe a year or two to wind down.
There are some silly names in that top 25 list. A good number of realistic ones that anyone here could come up with, but I think that guy is just waking up in the morning and arranging the list to suit his fancy.