Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
It was not interpreted that way at the time. The crowd was encouraged to cheer when they switched out of the flex bone and threw to the tight end in a prearranged skit. When Collins was still being asked about it a week later he said it was an homage but that was not the original intent in my opinion. I doubt CPJ saw it as an homage.
Who gives a flip what CPJ tbought? Are you his personal Kleenex boy for when he gets his feelings hurt?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So in other words, some of you think he disrespected johnson, so you'll hate him forever.

Sounds like a you problem.

You'd think 57 pages of bitchfest would've made you feel better by now.
I can’t speak for others but it is not the disrespecting of Johnson that causes the lingering dissatisfaction for me. It is the constant attempt to keep the spotlight on himself while he gets zero results on the field.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The good news for Geoff is that with Butch Jones departing Alabama's staff for Arkansas State, there's an opening for someone to wash Nick Saban's car and pick up his dry cleaning. If he's smart, he'll trash the season, get fired and give Nick a call.
He is already trashing the season, intentionally or not, so he is part of the way there…

ballground jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
If Collins had never ran his mouth, had simply came in here and said something as simple and truthful as "GT was won the orange bowl in 2014 and had a winning record in 2016, we've been down a couple years but I think we can get back to that and back to the way it was under Oleary and even greater! I want to build upion the foundation laid by the great coaches who have been here and take us into the stratopshere with a cutlure based on effort, energy, juice and having fun! We are going to push GT to the very best it can be! Yeah there will be a bit of a transition. But we aren't abandoning what makes GT GT, just doing it differently."
100 percent this ... I guess I just don't get the talk about culture over and over now. It has been 3 years. If the culture hasn't changed then how much longer is it going to take. Just stop with it was a massive culture change because in the end those players had it down by the 2nd year imho.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So in other words, some of you think he disrespected johnson, so you'll hate him forever.

I personally do not have an issue with anyone calling for the firing of the head coach. What is annoying is that posters who heretofore I considered sober and rational having been beating this drum throughout the 57 pages and in other threads. Once you say that you want him fired, it really isn't necessary to repeat that message 300 times over 5 or 6 threads. I often wonder if people are afraid there voices aren't heard and thus the need to repeat the same thing ad infinitum. People need to vent and then let it go.

If you have repeated the idea that you want to see him gone in more than 5 posts since Saturday, can you explain your motivation? I'm genuinely curious as this honestly seems irrational to me.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I personally do not have an issue with anyone calling for the firing of the head coach. What is annoying is that posters who heretofore I considered sober and rational having been beating this drum throughout the 57 pages and in other threads. Once you say that you want him fired, it really isn't necessary to repeat that message 300 times over 5 or 6 threads. I often wonder if people are afraid there voices aren't heard and thus the need to repeat the same thing ad infinitum. People need to vent and then let it go.

If you have repeated the idea that you want to see him gone in more than 5 posts since Saturday, can you explain your motivation? I'm genuinely curious as this honestly seems irrational to me.
I have been active in these threads. I don't recall that I actually said I wanted him fired. I have been debating some things, mostly towards the bad but some towards the good. I think this thread in particular has been more of a after-game, and state-of-the-program thread instead of being solely a "fire CGC" thread, and posters have been blowing off steam about multiple things.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
100 percent this ... I guess I just don't get the talk about culture over and over now. It has been 3 years. If the culture hasn't changed then how much longer is it going to take. Just stop with it was a massive culture change because in the end those players had it down by the 2nd year imho.
Look, I get it. Strategy is driven by structure and then by culture. Alfred Chandler first wrote about this 60 years ago. Nothing new for a first year MBA student.

But ... the Tech fanbase is not a bunch of useful idiots. Most are process-oriented thinkers and doers. "Show me the process, the means to measure it, and we'll be successful."

I said this when Geoff was hired ... He may win the games but lose the fanbase. Tech doesn't have uber-vocal alumni. They tend to vote quietly ... by not going to games, not buying swag, not donating. That's how Butch Jones got fired at Tennessee ... hell, even Peyton Manning supported him. But a half empty stadium, falling merchandise sales, and lack of renewals on suites doomed him.

Ultimately, you have to put a product on the field the fanbase wants. And in that sense, Geoff is 100% tone-deaf. The Tech Faithful don't like Money Down, they don't like the Goofy Shi'ite, and the lack of candor.

But, I don't think he really cares what the fans want. It's his way or the highway. That's why if he doesn't win, he's screwed. I found it very interesting that TStan didn't send him warm greetings after the NIU game. TStan is smart enough to start distancing himself or they may be riding over the cliff together.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I can't speak for others, but I observed the Jones debacle up close at Tennessee. The fans there was SO FRUSTRATED as to how far their program had fallen that they had to vent, vent, vent. Hell, they even did a poll and wanted to bring Lane Kiffin back ... a guy they had pretty much burned in effigy.

In 2014, GT was in the Orange Bowl and the toast of the town. Just a few years later ... 7 ... we are in the basement like the chick in Silence of the Lambs trying to claw her way out.

I think for many fans, we are one spark away from spontaneous combustion.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Who gives a flip what CPJ tbought? Are you his personal Kleenex boy for when he gets his feelings hurt?
No kidding. CPJ gave the tough guy image but he had the thinnest skin of any coach I can ever remember. Short memories around here.

Why does everything have to be Johnson vs Collins though? I don't get it. Collins didn't force Johnson to retire.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
No kidding. CPJ gave the tough guy image but he had the thinnest skin of any coach I can ever remember. Short memories around here.

Why does everything have to be Johnson vs Collins though? I don't get it. Collins didn't force Johnson to retire.
I don’t think it’s Collins / Johnson. It’s just the most recent coach. It would have happened if he followed Dodd, Carson, Pepper, Curry, Ross, or anybody else. Every one on this board wants a winner and a top 25 program. If you promise that, expectations can be an albatross.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

When you win a total of 6 games during your time at a program, you shouldn't expect warm and fuzzies after a terrible loss to a completely inferior opponent.
Do you feel good about the state of the program?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Right now there are 70 D1 head Coaches making less than Collins. Almost every assistant is making a lot less. For $3.2 million a year he can take a little heat and criticism. So far we are paying 1.6 million per win just to him. That’s not counting assistants, staff, and all the other over head. If my math is correct.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
A semi-related question (related only in the sense that I am trying to understand more about the finances of GT athletics): we paid NILL 1M for coming to play GT in Atlanta. Is there any way to tell how much GT profited off that game? I assume it was still a net positive? On a similar note, do other teams OOC teams pay GT anywhere near that much for coming to play at their stadium?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A semi-related question (related only in the sense that I am trying to understand more about the finances of GT athletics): we paid NILL 1M for coming to play GT in Atlanta. Is there any way to tell how much GT profited off that game? I assume it was still a net positive? On a similar note, do other teams OOC teams pay GT anywhere near that much for coming to play at their stadium?

P5 teams usually schedule home and away games against each other. We aren't generally paid by anyone to play an away game, but we get a return game against them at our house. From time to time we will schedule a home and away against a G5 team, but again, that's usually not a paid gig for us.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Sad to hear ADTS say that he thinks we are still ahead of schedule with the transition. If 6 wins is ahead of schedule, what does behind schedule look like? 2 wins.