Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yeah except that's not true

And yes Collins was making over $2M at Temple

There's plenty to ***** and moan about but at least try to do it accurately
Collins made $1.8m in 2018. https://247sports.com/college/templ...n-2019-salary-and-buyout-money-165729666/Amp/

And Collins' contract averages $3.3m yearly. He started at $3m, he made $3.1m last year, and he makes $3.2m this year. So we are paying him more, and even if you only include the first year where he made essentially the same as Paul, HE WAS NEVER WORTH EVEN CLOSE TO THAT MUCH TO BEGIN WITH which was the point being made.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins made $1.8m in 2018. https://247sports.com/college/templ...n-2019-salary-and-buyout-money-165729666/Amp/

And Collins' contract averages $3.3m yearly. He started at $3m, he made $3.1m last year, and he makes $3.2m this year. So we are paying him more, and even if you only include the first year where he made essentially the same as Paul, HE WAS NEVER WORTH EVEN CLOSE TO THAT MUCH TO BEGIN WITH which was the point being made.
Yeah, that's how many contracts work. They increase year over year.

Really like your big brained idea of paying less than market rate to hire a coach. Would've liked to see how that would've panned out.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I mean he did design and develop the defense we played against during the Orange Bowl. I'd imagine the system they were using wasn't much different that the one he has brought with him here.
Yes. He was hired by UF on December 16th, 2014 but I think Durkin coached Florida through the end of that season. We played Mississippi St. on December 31st, 2014. Collins didn’t coach in that game but that was definitely his defense.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Good, we've established I'm right and you're wrong. Now for your new goalposts - you don't pay a CEO's salary for a junior developer just because he applied for the job, genius.
First, no.

Second, that's just a dumb analogy. We hired a head coach for a head coaching position. You can certainly cry about results but your junior developer/ceo comparison is nonsensical

slugboy

Staff member
Never seemed like a valid argument to me. He had coached that defense for the whole year and then they fall apart the first time he’s not on the sideline with them for a bowl game? I’ve never sensed that he was that important of a presence on the sideline during games.
It's more that we're getting silly. If you're going to be mad at him for his defense, problems in our defense for the last 2+ years are enough.
Miss State had a good defense while he was there, as did Florida, and I think Temple wasn't bad. Trying to rewrite that he wasn't a good defensive coordinator or coach is a weird hill to die on. It's not like I would say Aaron Donald is a bad defensive tackle because he had a bad game against us. You can find a lot of great defensive coordinators that gave up plenty of points to CPJ (and you can find some that ruined his day, too).
Unless he turns around our defense, he's got a problem NOW. That's more important.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
They could have hired me for $500k.

I feel confident that I could have matched 6-17 just on dumb luck.

Hire me. Suck the same. Save a bunch of money.
I'd take the money myself as well and give it a shot. Don't think i could've recruited the coaches and players we got now though but would've enjoyed cashing the checks

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's more that we're getting silly. If you're going to be mad at him for his defense, problems in our defense for the last 2+ years are enough.
Miss State had a good defense while he was there, as did Florida, and I think Temple wasn't bad. Trying to rewrite that he wasn't a good defensive coordinator or coach is a weird hill to die on. It's not like I would say Aaron Donald is a bad defensive tackle because he had a bad game against us. You can find a lot of great defensive coordinators that gave up plenty of points to CPJ (and you can find some that ruined his day, too).
Unless he turns around our defense, he's got a problem NOW. That's more important.
That’s fair and I agree. I just don’t buy that his defense got trashed in the Orange Bowl because he had left two weeks earlier. Before he was even hired I thought that was a lame excuse for the poor showing by Miss State in the Orange Bowl.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve tried looking for a glimmer. I’ve been a cheerleader. At this point he isn’t going to change. I use to believe change could happen until I hit about 40 years old. Then I realized it rarely happens for adults. By the time someone is 30 they are what they are. Most “change” is just rhetoric. Collins isn’t going to become a good coach at this point. At best, he can realize his shortcomings and hire someone or give someone currently on staff the responsibility to call the game while he manages the details he is good at. The dumpster fire of our last 2 games has almost done me in.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’ve tried looking for a glimmer. I’ve been a cheerleader. At this point he isn’t going to change. I use to believe change could happen until I hit about 40 years old. Then I realized it rarely happens for adults. By the time someone is 30 they are what they are. Most “change” is just rhetoric. Collins isn’t going to become a good coach at this point. At best, he can realize his shortcomings and hire someone or give someone currently on staff the responsibility to call the game while he manages the details he is good at. The dumpster fire of our last 2 games has almost done me in.
Hang in there buddy.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Todd just had to drop the Paul Johnson transition in. Like that should prevent us from beating Northern Illinois in year 3.

Sowega, you have supported CGC since his arrival. Your lack of support surprises me. What caused your change of opinion?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ll always support the GT coach. And believe me, I’m not a wins or losses guy. I know our program limitations because I hear it directly from the horses mouth, aka high school players and coaches. Collins has made incredible in roads on that front. No way a player like Willis from Lee County even returns our call 2 years ago. I’ve seen stud after stud from Colquitt County, Lee County, Bainbridge, Valdosta, Thomasville, Lowndes, etc go everywhere (FSU, Auburn, UGA, Florida) except GT. Collins is changing that which is huge.

BUT, I’m the type of fan most don’t like. I rarely cheer or even show emotion during a game because my mind is in the game. I’m looking at officials placing the ball, I’m watching for when the play clock gets started in relation to our QB getting the call from the sidelines. Im looking at the cushions our DB‘s are giving in relation to down and distance. I’m exhausted after games. I’ve given Collins rope figuring maybe it just took season 1 for the staff to mesh along with not having a legit QB on roster. After the Pitt game last year I just sat in Bobby Dodd and reality hit me. I couldn’t move. We didn’t look like a team in any aspect. We were a collection of individuals with no direction. Then the NIU game was just more of the same. It‘s not even the loss. We’ve had bad losses before and I never felt like this because I knew why we lost. Citadel, for instance, just wanted to win more and their players were just tougher and smarter. It wasn’t a fluke. The NIU game had no reasons other than pure ineptitude. There was nothing redeeming. There coach even said it without saying it. Empty stats are just that - empty. We came out flat and poorly coached and finished flat and poorly coached. I expect us to win some games because we play some very good teams and also play a lot of mediocre teams who will give us some wins. But, I can’t find much positive when it comes to Game Day coaching for Collins. And forget offense for a second, our defense takes such poor angles and shows no discipline that we make mid level players on the other team look like stars. That Pitt RB looked like an All American and we made Rocky look like a dang field general.

I posted earlier this week that I see more discipline and accountability by coaches on Friday nights than I’ve seen at GT since he’s been here. I am rooting for him to turn the corner.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We were a collection of individuals with no direction.
That is what I think about Miami. They have better athletes, at least from recruiting rankings. However, making big individual plays seems to be more important to them than being on a team that wins games. That is how I felt about the mutt teams under Richt. Players thought making an individual play that could get on the Sports Center Top 10 was more important than the team making good team plays.

I still don't feel that way about GT. I do see indications of things headed in that direction.