Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I know there are a ton of caveats to this, but 5-18 was Ross' record at this point in his tenure. Yes, I acknowledge it's not apples to apples and I agree that everyone has reason to be concerned, even angry. But the entirety of this story hasn't been written yet and it may turn out different than it looks right now.
Ross also had a good track record as a HC

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
So I had a guy who has been a Collins backer ask me — this was well before the end of the game — why I was so down on him.
I said, you know, losing to The Citadel was bad enough. 6-16 with 14 losses by double digits doesn't help, either.
But this?
And I proceeded to show him a clip on my phone. It was taken around the 11:56 mark of the fourth quarter of the Virginia Tech game in 2019.
That's all I needed to see.
If you find that game somewhere, advance it to that part. Watch Collins' reaction to the refs. When we're down 45-0 for our first home shutout loss in two generations.
That did it for me.
The losses, the verbal urinating on the PJ era and the triple already had me vexed with him. I wasn't much of a fan of his to start with. That sealed his fate with me.
Just watched the clip and I'm not sure what your issue is really. It looks like he is advocating for us to have picked up the first down and the refs tell him that a review is happening and he backs off. We won the review and got the first down. There is A LOT to complain about from CGC but I don't see it here.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Time hasn't run out one game into the season. Granted, he ain't doing himself any favors, but time hasn't run out.
I didn't mean time has run out for him to be here. I meant time has run out for him to keep losing.

The time to turn it around is right now.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know there are a ton of caveats to this, but 5-18 was Ross' record at this point in his tenure. Yes, I acknowledge it's not apples to apples and I agree that everyone has reason to be concerned, even angry. But the entirety of this story hasn't been written yet and it may turn out different than it looks right now.
I appreciate the optimism... but Ross went 7-3 after that. If CGC does that... the "story" will have changed significantly.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the clip and I'm not sure what your issue is really. It looks like he is advocating for us to have picked up the first down and the refs tell him that a review is happening and he backs off. We won the review and got the first down. There is A LOT to complain about from CGC but I don't see it here.

You mean you're ok with the tongue out kinda yukking it up with the refs as he gets back to the sidelines, like this is something funny?
Ain't nothing about getting your *** kicked by a conference rival and getting the worst home shutout loss since Jesus was a child.

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Looking back at that, I wonder what the players thought when they saw coach basically have their back in such a demonstrative way.
They probably thought Stoops wants none of CPJ.
Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade. CGC can’t even do that. He’s proven he’s not a head man.

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Week to week improvement would be monumental at this point. My concern he hasn’t shown any year to year improvement. That’s the bigger issue.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Here's my defense for him. I do think he can succeed here. I love his vision for this place and I think we are getting recruits on campus in numbers we've never sniffed before. The Jimmy's and Joe's matter and I think he's done a hell of a job from that front. Those Jimmy's and Joe's are very young and still in high school though so for me it was always year 4 but especially after losing an entire spring to Covid and going through that nonsense. I understand many people (especially the Paul Johnson guys that want Collins to fail) will just say it's another excuse.

I think our defense played well Saturday except for the final drive. I would have liked to have seen us attack more on that drive instead of the soft prevent style crap that let them get to the redzone. Even if they hit us for a big play and score, they likely don't go for 2 if there's still plenty of time on the clock for us to get a FG. They would just kick and hope we are conservative and play for overtime. If they take the lead, they know we are going to try to score because you have to score. And our offense had momentum with Yates so we would have been fine.

I like that we use a lot of guys on defense too and don't expect to have 11 iron men out there. But all the subbing between plays can bite you especially if someone is playing fast because they will catch you running guys on and off the field. That's on both Thacker and Collins to me.

I like what I hear from DP in his press conferences on offense but haven't been impressed the first two years. I do think Sims missed two big plays early on Saturday and if he hits them it's a whole different ball game. But guys aren't perfect and will miss plays and you have to overcome that stuff too so not using it as an excuse. More saying it's a sign DP called the game well and we didn't execute.

I've always thought getting to a certain win total many throw around this year was a long shot because we are young and the schedule is ridiculous. Obviously, we shouldn't go 0-12 either. We should have won Saturday 100% no excuses.

I do think we need an analytics guy on the headset giving advice on when to go for 4th downs, when to go 2-point conversions, etc..... And that's not a knock on Collins in terms of saying every head coach should be able to handle that themselves. Bill Belichick has an analytics guys in his ear every single game.

Bottom line - I like Collins and his vision and want to see him succeed. I think it's way too early to jump off that bandwagon and he deserves some time and patience because it was a huge transition despite his rhetoric of "biggest transformation in college football history". I don't mind his press conferences. I mean he is who he is I would prefer more honest answers but you can't change the personality. I didn't like Paul Johnson throwing kids under the bus all the time either but he is who he is too and I accepted that and supported him too.

That's my defense. I don't think I'm blind and it's certainly not a religious defense.

In year 2 this might work. At this point we saw all the same problems from a coaching perspective Saturday night we saw in losses in year 1. Clock mismanagement indecision, lack of fire, ETC. Believing it will get better is not evidence based. Collins regressed at temple. We started out bad, but looks like we are following that trend.

Every schedule is hard schedule when you suck by the way.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I still hope that he is successful here. Despite seeing the signs and knowing the probability of it. I have never pulled for any coach to fail and I am not going to start now. I don't need to like a coach personally to want him to succeed. I'm selfish in that regard.
Don't get me wrong i'd love for him to prove me wrong. But sometimes thign sdon't translate. Look at what happened with Al Groh. Groh was probably as good on defensive x's and o's as johnson was on offense but HE could not coach on saturdays. He couldn't get the plays in was indecisive and then was stubborn about signals (mtsu) I still believe groh si a good coach that got left behind in the times with Hurry up offenses and lack of a green dot on his linebackers helmet. But i fully was calling for his head in the middle of that season.

If Collins had never ran his mouth, had simply came in here and said something as simple and truthful as "GT was won the orange bowl in 2014 and had a winning record in 2016, we've been down a couple years but I think we can get back to that and back to the way it was under Oleary and even greater! I want to build upion the foundation laid by the great coaches who have been here and take us into the stratopshere with a cutlure based on effort, energy, juice and having fun! We are going to push GT to the very best it can be! Yeah there will be a bit of a transition. But we aren't abandoning what makes GT GT, just doing it differently."

He'd have won a lot more fans and maybe just maybe not planted an excuse in every players head where not winning was okay. Hell you do that guess who helps you with citadel.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
In year 2 this might work. At this point we saw all the same problems from a coaching perspective Saturday night we saw in losses in year 1. Clock mismanagement indecision, lack of fire, ETC. Believing it will get better is not evidence based. Collins regressed at temple. We started out bad, but looks like we are following that trend.

Every schedule is hard schedule when you suck by the way.
Like I said it’s not worth arguing about. I gave my opinion. But looking at your entire work in this thread you’ve got it out for him because didn’t worship Paul Johnson.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Like I said it’s not worth arguing about. I gave my opinion. But looking at your entire work in this thread you’ve got it out for him because didn’t worship Paul Johnson.

No that is very much an oversimplification of everything. Initially he did things that rubbed me the wrong way calling the cupboard bare pretty much insults all your current players. Because news flash they play for you now you should tell all of them they absolutely suck in a press conference to protect your own *** before they have played a down for you. Misrepresenting our records and his view of how GT was before Johnson acting like johnson took us from some kind of perennial powerhouse to obscurity. And making every excuse he could make for underperformance before a snap. You may not like when johnson would call out execution issues, but he also called out coaching issues and mistakes, he was just genuine. You know who else was? Gailey, and O leary would get up a players *** if they messed up too.

And hell on the current staff Every call is a great call for CDP, just no execution.

Maybe its because i saw the same thing happen with Southern and Tyson Summers and just things rang alarm bells ( oh and BVG) and saw a guy manage to go into statesboro and install an air raid (hatcher) and while he didn't win enough games to stick around he was actually pretty well liked. He didn't come in and basically badmouth van gorder or the option regimes instead he said "we pitch it forward". And started coaching. He was actually doomed by never hiring a good DC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Don't get me wrong i'd love for him to prove me wrong. But sometimes thign sdon't translate. Look at what happened with Al Groh. Groh was probably as good on defensive x's and o's as johnson was on offense but HE could not coach on saturdays. He couldn't get the plays in was indecisive and then was stubborn about signals (mtsu) I still believe groh si a good coach that got left behind in the times with Hurry up offenses and lack of a green dot on his linebackers helmet. But i fully was calling for his head in the middle of that season.

If Collins had never ran his mouth, had simply came in here and said something as simple and truthful as "GT was won the orange bowl in 2014 and had a winning record in 2016, we've been down a couple years but I think we can get back to that and back to the way it was under Oleary and even greater! I want to build upion the foundation laid by the great coaches who have been here and take us into the stratopshere with a cutlure based on effort, energy, juice and having fun! We are going to push GT to the very best it can be! Yeah there will be a bit of a transition. But we aren't abandoning what makes GT GT, just doing it differently."

He'd have won a lot more fans and maybe just maybe not planted an excuse in every players head where not winning was okay. Hell you do that guess who helps you with citadel.
I naively kept wishing for this over and over.

I still remember his first spring game. First play. Team lines up in the flexbone and then shifts at the last minute to a shotgun with a tight end. Then, in a prearranged play that the offense and defense had practiced for effect, the QB throws a pass to the tight end to signal that option football was over. I found it disrespectful and in bad taste.

Why would any coach play act a slap at a previous coach’s system. Even though it was all pre-rehearsed I have often wondered what would have happened if the tight end had dropped the ball. But then I think they practiced this pantomime over and over.

Well, if at any time after that over the last three years he had quit ragging on the triple option and what a huge mountain this was to overcome I could have gotten over that opening charade. But this was a theme at almost every press conference. It still feels very unprofessional to me.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm hazy on it, but didn't they line up in a TO formation on the first offensive play as an homage to Johnson?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade. CGC can’t even do that. He’s proven he’s not a head man.
The good news for Geoff is that with Butch Jones departing Alabama's staff for Arkansas State, there's an opening for someone to wash Nick Saban's car and pick up his dry cleaning. If he's smart, he'll trash the season, get fired and give Nick a call.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
So in other words, some of you think he disrespected johnson, so you'll hate him forever.

Sounds like a you problem.

You'd think 57 pages of bitchfest would've made you feel better by now.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm hazy on it, but didn't they line up in a TO formation on the first offensive play as an homage to Johnson?
It was not interpreted that way at the time. The crowd was encouraged to cheer when they switched out of the flex bone and threw to the tight end in a prearranged skit. When Collins was still being asked about it a week later he said it was an homage but that was not the original intent in my opinion. I doubt CPJ saw it as an homage.