Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
So I had a guy who has been a Collins backer ask me — this was well before the end of the game — why I was so down on him.
I said, you know, losing to The Citadel was bad enough. 6-16 with 14 losses by double digits doesn't help, either.
But this?
And I proceeded to show him a clip on my phone. It was taken around the 11:56 mark of the fourth quarter of the Virginia Tech game in 2019.
That's all I needed to see.
If you find that game somewhere, advance it to that part. Watch Collins' reaction to the refs. When we're down 45-0 for our first home shutout loss in two generations.
That did it for me.
The losses, the verbal urinating on the PJ era and the triple already had me vexed with him. I wasn't much of a fan of his to start with. That sealed his fate with me.

slugboy

Staff member
Joey is a mellow even handed guy who avoids hyperbole. This was kind of shocking.

Anyone remember how the press conference went when CPJ was asked about the failed two point conversion that lost the game? He explained how the play was set up, how the block was to occur and what the quarterback was supposed to do. The tackle and the quarterback got their wires crossed (perhaps because first game of the season) and the play went wider than it was supposed to. It was explained so clearly that you could go back and watch the tape and see exactly what went wrong and why the two points were there for the asking if one simple thing had happened correctly.

Lord I miss press conferences like that.
I believe he didn't like the Collins hire from the get-go.

(I wanted Satterfield, but it looks like we dodged a bullet there).

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
That was a quote from the article. So far no one can offer anything but blind almost religious hope in defense. Its rather sad
Here's my defense for him. I do think he can succeed here. I love his vision for this place and I think we are getting recruits on campus in numbers we've never sniffed before. The Jimmy's and Joe's matter and I think he's done a hell of a job from that front. Those Jimmy's and Joe's are very young and still in high school though so for me it was always year 4 but especially after losing an entire spring to Covid and going through that nonsense. I understand many people (especially the Paul Johnson guys that want Collins to fail) will just say it's another excuse.

I think our defense played well Saturday except for the final drive. I would have liked to have seen us attack more on that drive instead of the soft prevent style crap that let them get to the redzone. Even if they hit us for a big play and score, they likely don't go for 2 if there's still plenty of time on the clock for us to get a FG. They would just kick and hope we are conservative and play for overtime. If they take the lead, they know we are going to try to score because you have to score. And our offense had momentum with Yates so we would have been fine.

I like that we use a lot of guys on defense too and don't expect to have 11 iron men out there. But all the subbing between plays can bite you especially if someone is playing fast because they will catch you running guys on and off the field. That's on both Thacker and Collins to me.

I like what I hear from DP in his press conferences on offense but haven't been impressed the first two years. I do think Sims missed two big plays early on Saturday and if he hits them it's a whole different ball game. But guys aren't perfect and will miss plays and you have to overcome that stuff too so not using it as an excuse. More saying it's a sign DP called the game well and we didn't execute.

I've always thought getting to a certain win total many throw around this year was a long shot because we are young and the schedule is ridiculous. Obviously, we shouldn't go 0-12 either. We should have won Saturday 100% no excuses.

I do think we need an analytics guy on the headset giving advice on when to go for 4th downs, when to go 2-point conversions, etc..... And that's not a knock on Collins in terms of saying every head coach should be able to handle that themselves. Bill Belichick has an analytics guys in his ear every single game.

Bottom line - I like Collins and his vision and want to see him succeed. I think it's way too early to jump off that bandwagon and he deserves some time and patience because it was a huge transition despite his rhetoric of "biggest transformation in college football history". I don't mind his press conferences. I mean he is who he is I would prefer more honest answers but you can't change the personality. I didn't like Paul Johnson throwing kids under the bus all the time either but he is who he is too and I accepted that and supported him too.

That's my defense. I don't think I'm blind and it's certainly not a religious defense.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Hey, the bowl game that year was fun, too, especially when it looked like PJ was going to come over and drop little Stoops with a right cross.

Attachments

• EABEBFEF-7670-485D-8894-A85CAFC35F5B.jpeg
    EABEBFEF-7670-485D-8894-A85CAFC35F5B.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 80
  • D4E13749-8432-4AA9-A7B1-3BFFAFDD7353.jpeg
    D4E13749-8432-4AA9-A7B1-3BFFAFDD7353.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 80
  • F61918AA-54BD-487C-97AB-7788AD04E1AD.jpeg
    F61918AA-54BD-487C-97AB-7788AD04E1AD.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 81

FrytownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I want to go on record to say that if we beat KSU as resoundingly as we should I don’t want to hear any chest thumping from the players or staff. I want to hear, “We did what we were supposed to do this week but we still have a lot to work on for next week.”
Hopefully the players will be humble for beating a team they are supposed to, but you know CGC will make it out like we just beat Ala...... There's a very good chance we won't even have to worry about it sadly.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Time hasn't run out one game into the season. Granted, he ain't doing himself any favors, but time hasn't run out.
That's true. He still has time. What did happen is people like me who were all in on CGC and thought CDP deserved more time are now feeling like we need to be convinced that things can be better.
  1. Can our coaches learn clock management? I am stunned that we are in the third year of this group and we still can't get plays called/players lined up properly in time and are forced to call so many timeouts just to get a play right. Please don't anyone try to tell me it's normal. It isn't. Most coaches have this figured out. The ones who haven't figured it out aren't usually very successful. Of all the things I saw on Saturday the fact that this has not changed may be the thing that bothered me the most.
  2. CDP... I've said before that of all the staff hirings I was least thrilled about his. But I defended the hiring because his offenses at Coastal were actually pretty successful and sometimes opportunities don't come around until later in life (Bruce Arians took a long time to get a HC gig and probably the only reason he did is because Chuck Pagano got cancer). Now he's most definitely in the "prove it" stage for me. I'm a pretty big believer in forcing the other team to stop you from doing what you do best. They couldn't stop us from running the ball. We did that to ourselves by a combination of feeling like we had to switch things up to keep them honest (why? our OL is big and again, make them stop us first) and weird substitution and non-substitution. On offense we came out and looked ready to run it down their throats and it was working. Until we stopped doing it.
  3. No pressure on the opposing QB. Of course they really didn't try to throw the ball an awful lot and for a good portion of the game we played decent defense. I think if our offense had had the success rate that our defense did we'd have won the game going away. So I'm not blaming the defense for the loss. But with the improved talent overall I expected a little better than what we saw. Not a lot. I understand that there's a lot of new blood and young blood at the rush positions but I was hoping for at least a little indication of positive change. I'm not as down on our DC as our OC but we still have a ways to go.
On the plus side we did cut down on penalties.

Last edited:

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
The good news in all this is Collins is soooooo proud of them for playing their hearts out! That s**t has gotten old! 6-17 is his record! Losing to supposedly inferior teams is the reason he must go. No one expected him to beat the Clemson's every year but no one expected to lose to the like of Citadel and Northern Illinois. His rah rah BS has worn out his welcome IMO. Coaches get paid to win at programs like GT. He's not a winner. The data doesn't lie.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The only thing that keeps me slightly in the don't fire yet range is the DT commit from this cycle. CGC and Thrasher's defense really depends on DT play, but I have little faith left.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The good news in all this is Collins is soooooo proud of them for playing their hearts out! That s**t has gotten old! 6-17 is his record! Losing to supposedly inferior teams is the reason he must go. No one expected him to beat the Clemson's every year but no one expected to lose to the like of Citadel and Northern Illinois. His rah rah BS has worn out his welcome IMO. Coaches get paid to win at programs like GT. He's not a winner. The data doesn't lie.

I know there are a ton of caveats to this, but 5-18 was Ross' record at this point in his tenure. Yes, I acknowledge it's not apples to apples and I agree that everyone has reason to be concerned, even angry. But the entirety of this story hasn't been written yet and it may turn out different than it looks right now.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Looking back at that, I wonder what the players thought when they saw coach basically have their back in such a demonstrative way.
They probably thought Stoops wants none of CPJ.

Deleted member 4558

Listen to his interviews can't answer a question but rambles on if he does this coaching the players then they can't be coached up.
Jordan Yates. The progress in him is huge. CDP gets a LOT of credit from me for getting him ready to come in as a backup and run the offense.

Yikes. This seems there is a drumbeat outside of this board. CGC will need to shock all of us to change the momentum. His presser got some attention as well. IIWII
Could not agree more. Everyday since "the loss" I have become more upset with the results of that game.

Scubapro

Banned
The only thing that keeps me slightly in the don't fire yet range is the DT commit from this cycle. CGC and Thrasher's defense really depends on DT play, but I have little faith left.
This is how I feel. I really don't care what the coaches say in the press conferences or what they accomplished at some other school. The problem I have is they have not shown any week to week improvement at all.
We have some really good players committed right now. Will they stay with us when we go 0-12 or 3-9. IDK.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I know there are a ton of caveats to this, but 5-18 was Ross' record at this point in his tenure. Yes, I acknowledge it's not apples to apples and I agree that everyone has reason to be concerned, even angry. But the entirety of this story hasn't been written yet and it may turn out different than it looks right now.
I remember those years very well and even wrote for the Technique covering sports during Ross's second year. And knowing how much work had to be done to change our roster into one focused on more RPO than spread option (I was and still am a fan of what we did under CPJ and I still love CPJ but I did feel it was time to make a change and that we could recruit better so I'm not upset about going away from that style of offense at all) I was prepared to give CGC plenty of time. But the first two things I mentioned aren't about talent. They are about coaching. It doesn't take three years to learn to do a better job managing the clock. And how long does one have to be in the coaching business before one knows that when you have an overwhelming strength that you keep using it until the other team proves they can stop it.

I'm hopeful that CGC can turn things around. I was hoping to see glimmers of that this past Saturday. I didn't. No question he and his staff are really good recruiters and I'm all for how we have been using the transfer portal (heck I think it was a stroke of genius the way he used it last year when we couldn't use one of our primary recruiting strengths, in person visits and contact, to our advantage). And now it's time to start showing reasons on the field for us to believe.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Hey guys, he’s trying! What, I’m not quite sure…

I think there a few on this board who would like to suit up on the other side of the ball from Collins. LOL! 😳
Yikes. This seems there is a drumbeat outside of this board. CGC will need to shock all of us to change the momentum. His presser got some attention as well. IIWII
Pretty much nailed it, in my opinion.

Scubapro

Banned
It doesn't take three years to learn to do a better job managing the clock. And how long does one have to be in the coaching business before one knows that when you have an overwhelming strength that you keep using it until the other team proves they can stop it.
This is one of the reasons I can't stand CGC and CDP. It's not like they started coaching when they showed up on the flats. They have been in coaching since the mid nineties. Not knowing how to manage a game and clock would be like you going to a new job and not knowing anything about MS Office.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I remember those years very well and even wrote for the Technique covering sports during Ross's second year. And knowing how much work had to be done to change our roster into one focused on more RPO than spread option (I was and still am a fan of what we did under CPJ and I still love CPJ but I did feel it was time to make a change and that we could recruit better so I'm not upset about going away from that style of offense at all) I was prepared to give CGC plenty of time. But the first two things I mentioned aren't about talent. They are about coaching. It doesn't take three years to learn to do a better job managing the clock. And how long does one have to be in the coaching business before one knows that when you have an overwhelming strength that you keep using it until the other team proves they can stop it.

I'm hopeful that CGC can turn things around. I was hoping to see glimmers of that this past Saturday. I didn't. No question he and his staff are really good recruiters and I'm all for how we have been using the transfer portal (heck I think it was a stroke of genius the way he used it last year when we couldn't use one of our primary recruiting strengths, in person visits and contact, to our advantage). And now it's time to start showing reasons on the field for us to believe.

Yeah I don't take issue with anything you've said here; just with those who claim it's over and done.